Thirsty Thursday: Strawberry-Lime Sangria
Sweet strawberries and zesty limes mingle to create a refreshing summer sangria.
If you’ve been following the happenings here at One Sweet Mess, then you’re well aware of my obsession for sangria. It’s a lot like my obsession for creating new flavors of granola, only it’s boozy and made by the pitcher.
My most popular sangria recipe to date is my Raspberry Moscato Sangria. It’s perfectly sweet, effervescent, and made with fresh raspberry simple syrup. What’s not to love, right? Coming in second, and my personal favorite, is my Fruity Pineapple Sangria. The sweet pineapple and tropical-infused vodka create an irresistible combination that goes down far too easy.
Making friends when you work from home is hard. It also doesn’t help that I’m over 30 and childless. I had a ton of friends before they had kids of their own, but now they’re all extremely busy living their own lives and doing their own things. So, I’m on the hunt for friends–wanna be my friend? I’ll cook for you!
If you’re in the same situation, don’t fear. There’s hope, and it comes in the form of the Bumble BFF App (there’s an app for that)! No, I don’t work for Bumble. They don’t even know I exist. An out-of-town friend told me about the app, so I created an account. I’m still waiting for friends, but it looks promising. There are a ton of other people out there in the Baltimore area looking for friends too. See, I’m not the only lonely old lady out there… There are others!
To prepare for my potential new friendship, I created this Strawberry-Lime Sangria to serve at our future lady date. <---That last sentence makes me appear eager and desperate, doesn't it? Next thing you know I'll be waiting by the phone, in hopes that it will bing (because ain't nobody got time to call somebody anymore) with a new text alert from my future BFF.
This Strawberry-Lime Sangria tastes just as delicious as it looks. It’s fresh, vibrant, fruity, and slightly tart. Get ready, future BFF!
Yield: 1 large pitcher
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup strawberry simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1 (750ml) bottle semi-sweet white wine
- 2 cups limeade (I prefer Simply Limeade)
- 1 cup citrus vodka
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 cups lemon-lime soda
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- To make the strawberry simple syrup, combine strawberries, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the strawberries to break them up a bit. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Take the pot off of the heat and allow the syrup to come to room temperature. Strain. If you’re not using the syrup right away, transfer to an airtight bottle or mason jar and refrigerate. The syrup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- To make the sangria, add the simple syrup, wine, limeade, and citrus vodka to a large pitcher. Stir to combine. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Right before you’re ready to serve, stir in the lime slices, strawberry slices, and lemon-lime soda. Serve over ice.