Thirsty Thursday: Rosemary Citrus Moscow Mule
This Rosemary Citrus Moscow Mule is easy sipping. It’s a combination of sweet, woody rosemary simple syrup, crisp vodka, and a mixture of fresh-squeezed orange, lemon, and lime juices. Like I said, easy sipping.
“I have too many mule recipes,”said no one ever! That’s because there is no such thing as too many mule recipes. One can never have enough recipes that include liquor poured over crushed ice–it’s just not possible!
I went straight up mixologist in the kitchen this week, mixing different sweeteners, citrus juices, liquors, and herbs together until I came up with the perfect combination of flavors for this Rosemary Citrus Mule. I think you’ll appreciate my efforts… In fact, I know you will, because you’re good people.
After creating my recipe for The Mid-Winter Mule, I’ve become mule obsessed. There’s something about the combination of strong liquor–in this case vodka–and a delicately flavored simple syrup that causes me to swoon in delight with every sip. Maybe it’s the complex flavor combination, or maybe it’s the fact that I won’t have a care in the world after I swallow the last few drops.
This mule is both refreshing and potent. The vodka is masked by the freshly-squeezed citrus juice and blood orange soda, so it goes down smooth, really, really smooth. After each sip, a hint of rosemary lingers on the tongue. The woodsy aroma from the rosemary plays nicely with the vibrant citrus.
So, kick back, relax, and enjoy!
Rosemary Citrus Moscow Mule
This Rosemary Citrus Mule is easy sipping. It’s a combination of sweet, woody rosemary simple syrup, crisp vodka, and a mixture of fresh-squeezed orange, lemon, and lime juices.
Yield: 2 servings
Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce rosemary simple syrup (recipe below)
- juice of 2 oranges
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of half a lime
- 4 ounces blood orange soda
- 2 rosemary sprigs for garnish (optional)
Rosemary Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar (raw)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- Add the vodka, citrus juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Give the mixture a few vigorous shakes.
- Transfer the mixture to a copper mug filled with crushed ice. Top with blood orange soda. Garnish with an orange wedge and sprig of rosemary, if desired.
Rosemary Simple Syrup:
- Add sugar and water to a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer; continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add the rosemary. Cover the pot and allow the mixture to sit overnight. Strain the mixture. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.