Thirsty Thursday: Grapefruit Honey Mojito
Get your sombrero ready, because it’s about to get festive. This grapefruit honey mojito has it all–it’s equal parts sweet, tart, and refreshing.
So, um, this happened the other day. Since Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, I knew I had to share the recipe with you.
This grapefruit honey mojito was inspired by a bottle of grapefruit rum I received a few weeks ago. You know you have a problem when people start gifting you booze.
“Oh, hey, I saw this and thought of you.”
I’m beginning to wonder whether or not I should seek professional counseling.
First, let me finish telling you about this cocktail.
Damn, is this cocktail delicious. It’s fruity and forces your lips do a bit of a pucker. The honey helps balance out the tart grapefruit and the fresh mint livens up the entire drink.
If you can’t find grapefruit rum, you can use white rum or a citrus-flavored rum. Have fun and play around with the flavors a bit.
I used a honey simple syrup to sweeten cocktail and give it a nice depth of rich flavor. If you’ve never made honey simple syrup, it’s just equal parts hot water and honey mixed together. Nothing scientific about it. The honey simple syrup can live in your refrigerator for up to a month.
That means mo’ grapefruit mojitos for you!
And, um, more is better, right? Now, go get yo’ fiesta on!
Grapefruit Honey Mojito
This refreshing cocktail is equal parts sweet, tart, and refreshing.
Yield: 1 serving
Total Time: 5 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
- 1 (1-inch) lime wedge
- 1/4 cup red grapefruit juice, about 1/2 a grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons honey simple syrup
- 1/4 cup mint (small handful)
- 2 ounces rum (white, grapefruit, or citrus)
- club soda
- Add lime, grapefruit juice, honey simple syrup, and mint to a shaker.
- Muddle the ingredients until thoroughly crushed.
- Add the rum and handful of ice to the shaker and give the mixture a few vigorous shakes.
- Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice. Top with club soda and garnish with mint.