Steak BLT Salad with Grilled Onions
I’m keepin’ it simple, yet classy with this Steak BLT Salad. A fluffy bed of mixed greens is loaded with sweet, juicy wedges of ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, grilled red onions, crispy bacon, and juicy slices of grilled flank steak.
When I’m planning my menu for the week, I always take a peek inside my wine cabinet first. I know it sounds a bit odd, but there’s a method behind my madness.
You see, I like to choose recipes that will pair well with the wine I currently have in stock. It’s how I ensure I’m going to have a glass of good vino to go with every meal.
During the summer, I’ll almost always reach for a bottle of white wine. This week, I selected Mâcon-Villages Chardonnay by Jadot. It’s light, refreshing, and ever so slightly effervescent. Their Mâcon-Villages Chardonnay is vinified with no oak contact, so it retains the elegant aromas and clean flavor. It’s what I like most about this particular variety of Chardonnay.
This Steak BLT Salad is everything. While I puffy heart the thin slices of tender, juicy steak, the charred slices of grilled red onion are my favorite. I could load up my plate with grilled onions and be one happy camper.
Any time I add meat, poultry, or seafood to a salad, it immediately becomes a meal. This salad comes together in less than 30 minutes, so that means you have more time to sip wine. That’s a good deal!
Steak BLT Salad
A fluffy bed of mixed greens is loaded with sweet, juicy wedges of ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, grilled red onions, crispy bacon, and juicy slices of grilled flank steak.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 22 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) container mixed greens
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Generously season each side of the flank steak with salt and pepper. Drizzle onion slices with canola oil and season each side with salt and pepper.
- Place the flank steak and onions on the grill. Grill steak for 5-6 minutes on each side, and grill the onions for 3-4 minutes on each side, until tender and slightly charred. Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes; slice thinly across the grain.
- To assemble the salad: Add the slices of tomato to the bottom of a large platter. Top with mixed greens, avocado, grilled onion slices, crumbled bacon, and sliced steak. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all of the ingredients to a mason jar; shake to combine.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed for the lovely folks at Maison Louis Jadot. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting my recipes and site while I work with brands I adore.