Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze

These Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze are moist and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and coated in a sweet glaze sprinkled with toasted pecans. Hello, donut addiction!

Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze

Donuts are my kryptonite.

I try my best to keep a healthy distance between me and donuts for the very reason that I lose any and all self control after the first bite. One bite leads to two, which leads to the disappearance of an entire donut, which then leads to demolishing an entire baker’s dozen. It’s as if they’re laced with crack cocaine–one is never enough.

Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze

And fried is always, always better. It just is. Yes, I’ve baked a few donuts in my time. These Healthy Mocha Donuts are great, but they’re no fried donut. If you’re like me and can’t control your donut-eating habits, then I suggest making the healthier version, if only for your heart’s sake.

However, the holidays are quickly approaching and we all deserve to live a little, so I say splurge on a donut or two (or six, which is how many this recipe makes). Your self control can be easily tamed with the addition of guests. Invite a few family members or friends over to help you eat these Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze.

I kid you not, my dad ate the entire batch, minus the donut I ate for quality control purposes, of these donuts. He, too, knows no limits when it comes to donuts. I get weekly text messages asking for another batch of donuts, “Hey, you promised me more donuts. I don’t see more donuts. When am I getting my donuts?” His texts were getting a bit excessive, so I had no choice but to start ignoring him. That method was short lived and ended the moment I showed up at his house to visit. I was then badgered in person. In order to shut him up, I was forced to make him another batch. He’s quiet…for now.

Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze

After the first bite, I knew I’d be gifting these donuts to someone other than myself, so I totally understand the fact that my dad was able to take down the entire batch (minus one) on his own. If I would have kept these to myself, the same thing would have happened to me as well. They’re that good!

Surprisingly, these big, fluffy, crunchy-on-the-outside donuts are easy to make. The dough comes together in one bowl with a few turns of a wooden spoon. After the dough chills for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, it’s ready to fry.

No donut is complete–in my opinion–without some sort of sticky glaze drizzled over the top, so I made a maple glaze to dunk the donuts in and, as if that weren’t enough, I sprinkled the donuts with finely chopped Diamond of California Pecans that I toasted to nutty perfection. Prepare yourself for a major donut addiction!

Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze

These donuts are moist and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and coated in a sweet glaze sprinkled with toasted pecans.

Yield: 6-7 donuts

Glaze

• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Donuts

1. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet or heavy-bottomed pot to 365 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (including sugar). Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add butter, buttermilk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract; whisk until just combined. Fold in the pumpkin puree. The dough should be slightly sticky but not too sticky. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Lightly flour your work surface. Using your hands, gently press the dough out until it's 1/2-inch thick. Cut the dough using a donut cutter.
  4. Gently drop the dough into the hot oil, frying 3 donuts at a time. Fry on each side for 1 minute. Remove the donuts using a slotted spoon and place on a paper-towel lined plate to soak up the grease. Transfer to a wire rack to cool until warm. Dip the warm donuts into the glaze. Top with chopped pecans. Best served the same day or slightly warmed in the microwave.

Glaze

1. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and milk until smooth.

Disclosure: This recipe was developed for the lovely folks at Diamond of California. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting my recipes and site while I work with brands I adore.

30 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze”

Marshmallove — October 27, 2015 at 5:08 am

OMG, you just made me drooling all the way with these doughnuts… You can tell your dad I TOTALLY understand him. When you’ll making some for him you can make more for me too… :)

• Jennie replied October 27th, 2015 at 8:02 am

Donuts are totally drool-worthy, so I completely understand your predicament. By all means, come on over. We’ll enjoy a few donuts, have a mug of coffee and chat about life.

movita beaucoup — October 27, 2015 at 6:14 am

Have I told you that I got a deep fryer for my birthday? It was bought so I could make doughnuts. There was not even the slightest suggestion that it should be used for anything else…

• Jennie replied October 27th, 2015 at 8:04 am

Clearly the gift giver knows what’s up. What a thoughtful, and extremely useful, gift. That fryer is about to work overtime!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — October 27, 2015 at 10:07 am

These donuts look awesome! And yes, I’d need to have one or two and then give away the rest as well- too deliciously addictive :) Pinning!

• Jennie replied October 27th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Thanks, Medha!

Rachel Cooks — October 27, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I don’t blame your dad! These look AMAZING!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Thanks, Rachel!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — October 27, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I’d eat ALL of these. They’re perfection!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Thanks, Dorothy!

Sabrina Modelle — October 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Get in my belly! Those donuts look amazing. My husband is also a donut junky and so I usually make him the healthier kind, but I think I’ll try these for him for a little treat! Great work and I love the photos on these, too.

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I usually make the healthier kind as well, but I just had to splurge. Thanks so much, Sabrina!

Laura — October 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Oh these look SO good! Love that maple-pumpkin combo! Yum!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, Laura!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — October 27, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Ok now I am craving donuts in the worst way! Can these be my dinner? Great recipe!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:37 pm

In my world, Donuts make a proper meal. Thanks so much, Ashley!

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen — October 28, 2015 at 12:48 am

I want to lick that maple frosting right off! It is seriously calling my name!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, Michelle!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — October 28, 2015 at 8:37 am

I’m with your Dad – I would totally gobble up the whole batch of these. They look and sound amazing. Your photos are just WHOA!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thanks so much, Liz!

Ashley — October 28, 2015 at 2:50 pm

These donuts look fantastic!! But I really love that you topped them with a maple glaze – one of my favorite fall flavors!! I feel like it gets such a second seat to pumpkin! haha

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thanks, Ashley! I adore using maple in my recipes. I really is a lovely fall flavor.

kita — October 29, 2015 at 9:49 pm

LOVE your recipe footer!

Now. On to donuts. Oh my. Yeah, kyrptonite indeed. And these look like the best kind of kyrptonite.

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Thanks so much, Kita!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — October 30, 2015 at 10:24 am

I want to live in these cozy pictures of donuts and what I’m gonna call coffee or tea in that mug :) Your dad and mine sound eerily similar. Badgering food texts are a common occurrence over here but a huge pecan pie tart delivered to his house last week has seemed to shut him up for the time being ;)

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Thank you so much, Gina. I think we need to get the two of them together for a food date :)

Laura Dembowski — November 1, 2015 at 9:21 am

Is it too late to put in my request for a batch?? :). I love doughnuts, but it’s hard to come by a great one near me and I’ve never made them.

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Heck no! They don’t take long at all to make. Thanks, Laura!

tanya — November 1, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I too suffer from the same donut habit; a fired donut is irresistible!  But boy, these donuts are like no other; so, so good!

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:31 pm

They’re just so good! They really make it hard to resist, especially when they’re glazed or stuffed. I’m happy to hear I’m not alone in my donut obsession.