Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese ~ #SundaySupper

This Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese is oozing cheese-y goodness. It has a hint of smoky spice with a subtle essence of pale ale in the background.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

One thing the midwest has taught me is that cheese is king. Cheese has always been pretty high up on my list of favorite food items, but the midwest has me beat. They’re cheese lovers to the core.

I recently discovered beer cheese soup, and, while I liked it, I didn’t exactly love it. However, if you stir in some carbohydrates, it’s absolutely glorious.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

This week the #SundaySupper team is partnering with Wisconsin Cheese. Oh, how I love me some cheese. The more cheese, the better.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

Wisconsin is the home of the world’s most award-winning cheeses, so you know you’re getting the most bang for your buck when you pick up a block of cheese adorned with the Wisconsin Cheese label.

Wisconsin Cheese

The state’s 1,200 cheese makers (wow!) are producing more than 600 different varieties of cheese. The lush grasslands, glacial waters, and superior milk are a fierce trio for creating exceptional cheese. No matter what variety you choose, if it has the Wisconsin seal, you’re getting the best.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

My dad begs me for mac and cheese every chance he gets. He whines, cries, and gives me his best pouty face until I throw in the towel and finally give in to his childish ways. I used to have him wrapped around my little finger, but the roles have since reversed. He knows how to play me until he gets exactly what he wants.

A few weeks ago I buckled and made him a big batch of mac and cheese. Instead of making his usual, I decided to play by my own rules and turn an old classic into something exciting and flavorful. I took my obsession with all things smoky and spicy and added combined it with a few glugs of craft beer.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

Enter Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese. It’s everything mac and cheese should be: rich, gooey, creamy, and dripping with melted strings of Wisconsin Cheese.

I used a combination of Wisconsin cheddar, smoked gouda, and monterey jack cheese in this recipe. The smoked gouda and chipotle pepper add a rich smoky flavor to this mac and cheese. It really is what makes this dish so darn tasty. The few generous glugs of pale ale lingers in the background.

My dad wasn’t happy about the change in plans at first, but he ended up falling in love with this dish.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

For recipe inspiration follow Wisconsin Cheese on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. Follow the #SundaySupper Wisconsin Cheese Pinterest board for more recipes. Create an original recipe using Wisconsin Cheese and enter it their recipe contest for a chance to win some fun prizes.

Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 pound macaroni pasta
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup pale ale
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 and 1/2 cups smoked gouda, grated
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 and 1/2 cups colby jack cheese, grated
  • 2 ounces softened cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper paste, about 3 chipolte peppers chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
  2. While the pasta cooks, add butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour. Allow the flour to cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
  3. Slowly whisk in the beer. Allow the mixutre to turn into a thick paste, whisking often.
  4. Slowly pour in the milk while simultaneiously whiking. Allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil and thicken, about 10-12 minutes.
  5. Add the cream cheese and whisk until incorporated (a few small chunks are okay). Whisk in the worcestershire sauce.
  6. Slowly whisk in the cheese until melted. Add the chipotle paste and whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Slowly stir in the pasta. The sauce will appear thin at first, but once the pasta starts releasing its starches and soaking in the sauce, the mixture will thicken. Top with extra cheese and chopped jalapenos (optional).

Want more cheese-filled recipes? Try these:

Cheese Appetizers:

Cheese Bread:

Main Dishes with Cheese:

Cheese Side Dishes:

Desserts:

10 Ideas for Cheese Dip Dippers by Sunday Supper Movement

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest1.1kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon1Share on Yummly32

23 Responses to “Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee — June 7, 2015 at 6:33 am

That mac & cheese looks so creamy. It’s definitely on my to-make list now.

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — June 7, 2015 at 11:45 am

Love the smoky gouda and spicy chipotle! I’d beg and cry for a bowl of this! Gorgeous photos!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — June 7, 2015 at 11:53 am

Spicy, smoky, cheesy…what more do I need?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 7, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Now this is my kind of Mac & Cheese!  I love all of the flavors you have going on in it!

Liz — June 7, 2015 at 5:15 pm

This has got to be one of the creamiest mac and cheeses I’ve ever seen! And all those cheeses??? Phenomenal!!!

susan @ the wimpy vegetarian — June 7, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Gorgeous photos!!! I love cooking with beer – so this would be right up our alley. And this is just amazingly creamy!!!! LOVE.

Alida — June 7, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Chipotle, beer and cheese??? This could quite possibly be the most perfect mac ‘n cheese ever!

Shelby — June 7, 2015 at 6:42 pm

This mac & cheese is right up my alley! Looks so yummy!

Ashley — June 7, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Cheese is the best. Oh how I love it! haha This mac and cheese sounds wonderful – love that you used chipotle!

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — June 7, 2015 at 9:51 pm

This looks like creamy perfection!

Constance Smith — June 7, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Now this is a Wisconsin recipe if ever I saw one! Wisconsin is known for their cheese, but also their beer. I mean just think about the Milwaukee BREWers. I went to a few of their games, and as you left, the road took you right past a few breweries and the air smelled like beer! :)

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — June 8, 2015 at 10:28 am

Oooh this looks so sinfully delicious! Pinning :)

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 8, 2015 at 1:36 pm

A lot of beer cheese soups I’ve had at restaurants actually seem like a starter for mac and cheese. Like, I’ll be eating it and feel like I’m eating JUST the cheese sauce from mac and cheese. So thumbs up for this glorious recipe idea, girl!

Sarah — June 8, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I have a feeling my husband would fall head-over-heels for this recipe!! It sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing:)

XO – Sarah

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch — June 8, 2015 at 2:34 pm

This would be devoured in under 2 seconds in our house!

Amanda Silver — June 8, 2015 at 5:47 pm

This recipe has my jaw on the floor. This looks fantastic. I have never heard of using beer to cook Mac and Cheese and I am excited about this new find! I will be putting this recipe to use very soon. You blog is so unique and your recipes look delicious. Would you be interested in becoming a recipe partner with Chicory?

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — June 8, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Ahhhhhh, how can you go wrong with cheesy noodles laced with beer and spicy chipotles?? The dream…

Katie — June 9, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Holy moly: if that isn’t the creamiest, dreamiest mac and cheese I’ve ever seen, I don’t know what is!!! YUM!

Mona knows Best — June 10, 2015 at 12:33 am

Thanks for the recipe <3, should make this for my daughter on Saturday.
    i love your websites

have a lovely day
    What men secretly want lady

shannon @ a periodic table — June 16, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Mr. Table may actually eat himself into a coma with this. It would be ugly.

But for him, probably worth it because you combined almost all of his favorite things into one cheesy, hot meal.

FoFacy — June 19, 2015 at 9:09 pm

We made this, changing up the cheeses for what we had on hand. SO! GOOD!

MarianHJones — June 22, 2015 at 7:12 am

I’m on the right track now! I found the perfect recipe. Thank to this site. It helps me a lot.