Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins

Rich chocolate muffins topped with toasted marshmallows and peppermint chips.

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

‘Tis the season to eat decadent muffins every morning until the day after Christmas…make that the day after New Year’s.

It’s totally okay to eat these muffins every day because they’ve been healthified. Now, don’t confuse healthified with healthy. These hot chocolate peppermint muffins are not by any means super healthy, just healthier. You still get all the richness of a butter-induced muffin without all the butter. Does that make sense?

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

To make these muffins healthier, I used whole wheat flour, low-fat buttermilk, and replaced half the butter with melted coconut oil.

Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour | www.themessybakerblog.com

I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour in this recipe. Each bag of their whole wheat flour is stone ground from hard red wheat and has all of the nutritious bran and germ still intact–nothing is lost in the grinding process. Their whole wheat flour is robust, nutty, full-flavored, and each bag contains several vitamins, minerals, and protein. I like to use a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour when I’m baking.

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

What you get is a healthier muffin pretending to be unhealthy. It does a good job, too, because all you taste is rich, buttery, chocolate-filled goodness.

To make these muffins extra special, I nestled a few mini marshmallows in the batter after I filled the muffin tins and topped each muffin with a teaspoon of peppermint chips.

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

These muffins are a perfect balance of sweet, chocolatey goodness. They’re moist, tender, and loaded with chocolate chips. If you have any muffins leftover, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm and they’ll taste just like they came out of the oven.

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

These hot chocolate peppermint muffins are best served often and with a piping hot beverage (hot chocolate, maybe) while you get cozy on the couch with a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

Click here to receive a $1 off coupon for any Bob’s Red Mill product.

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins

Rich chocolate muffins topped with toasted marshmallows and peppermint chips.

Yield: 12 muffins

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 36 mini marshmallows
  • 1/3 cup peppermint chips (I used Andes brand)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, add wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.

Add dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Fill the tins 3/4 full with batter. Nestle 3 mini marshmallows on top of each muffin and sprinkle the batter with 1 teaspoon of peppermint chips. Turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F. and place the muffins in the oven. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not over bake.

Allow the muffins to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

All images and text ©.

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. Affiliate links included.

21 Responses to “Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins”

Laura Dembowski — December 11, 2014 at 8:40 am

Healthier treats are always welcome, especially when they look this good!

• Jennie replied December 11th, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thanks, Laura! I totally agree.

Carolyn — December 11, 2014 at 10:31 am

These are adorable! What a great idea.

• Jennie replied December 11th, 2014 at 10:35 am

Thanks, Carolyn!

Aggie — December 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I love sneaking some whole wheat flour into baked goods. These look amazing!!

Choc Chip Uru — December 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm

It is only my favourite muffin and favourite drink in one dessert :D
    Love it!

Irvin — December 11, 2014 at 4:55 pm

These look so cute! I love how the tops look like hot chocolate with the marshmallows peeking out.

Julia — December 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Absolutely gorgeous muffs!! I’d love to bake up a quadruple batch with BRM’s GF AP flour…seriously terrific stuff, I tell ya! I want peppermint muffins ASAP!

Kris — December 11, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I love the idea of peppermint muffins, especially because the thought has never even crossed my mind (if you can believe it). Genius!

Linda | Brunch with Joy — December 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Delicious! I love having coconut oil in muffins, it does taste wonderful and fluffier. And those marshmallows on top are too cute.

Karishma — December 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh my gosh, yum! What a great + creative idea. These sound delicious. I’ve never heard of hot chocolate muffins, but I am definitely going to have to try these out!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 12, 2014 at 7:22 am

Yum!!! I wish I was having one or two of these for breakfast!

Matea — December 12, 2014 at 10:19 am

These muffins look amazingly delicious! And that Nutella and Pecan Banana Bread is making me drool :)

Carla — December 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I’m always looking for breakfast on-the-go ideas, and these Christmas muffins sound perfect for the season. Love baking with Bob’s Red Mill flour too. It’s what I used right now for cinnamon rolls in the oven.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — December 14, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Those muffins say Happy Christmas without having to speak a word. :) I like that they’re a bit healthier with all the other calorie-laden food around this time of year.

Emma @Missemzyy — December 15, 2014 at 1:41 am

Stunning photos! They look so delicious!!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — December 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Jennie, your photography is always SO beautiful!!

I love Bob’s Red Mill and how you managed to make these muffins fairly healthy but taste completely decadent!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — December 16, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Good lawd, these are gorgeous, festive, delicious muffins! Chocolate ‘n peppermint is my go-to Christmas flavour combo. For example, the peppermint mocha is the only drink I’ll order at S’bucks this time of year. Jennie, these photos are absolutely gorgeous and so festive! I’m really digging your marshmallow to hot chocolate ratio in those mugs too ;)

sonaly — January 23, 2015 at 6:13 am

mast Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins

sonaly — February 26, 2015 at 4:48 am

PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE This is pure delight for your taste buds.

CHERRY-MINT CHOCOLATE a burst of cherry zest

Both are great flavour