Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup with Ham
This slow cooker navy bean soup with ham is like a cozy sweater on a cold day. It’s full of hearty veggies, creamy beans, fresh herbs, and salty ham.
You’re going to love this slow cooker navy bean soup with ham. I realize that I’m coming off a bit strong and confident, but what’s not to love about beans, veggies, and ham?
I battled the elements (snow, sleet, and ice) for fresh herbs. Okay, that’s a lie. I had a package each of fresh rosemary and thyme wilting in the fridge, so I gave them a rough chop and threw them in the pot with the other ingredients.
I was hoping to come across as heroic, but that would a lie. Instead, I bundled myself up in fleece-lined leggings, a double layer of wool socks, and my warmest hoodie while I watched my husband shovel the snow from the warmth of my big, cushy chair. I tried mustering up a little compassion, but then I remembered washing and folding 10 loads of laundry and the feeling quickly vanished.
While I didn’t trek 10 miles in 2 feet of snow with just a hope and a prayer for herbs, I did open my refrigerator door. Whew! Life is rough, you guys.
The fresh bits of rosemary and thyme are like little bursts of flavorful buoys floating in a sea of brine-y, ham-scented broth.
If that doesn’t get your motor rumblin’, I don’t know what will.
The best part about this soup is that it involves very little effort. Soak the beans and chop the veggies. After you have completed that small task, throw everything into the bowl of your slow cooker and go about your business.
Ten hours later, you’ll return to a crock full of hearty soup that smells heavenly.
I like to serve this soup with a big chunk of crusty bread smeared with a generous amount of salty butter.
Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup
This soup is full of hearty veggies, creamy beans, fresh herbs, and salty ham.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 and 1/4 pounds ham, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Add the navy beans to a large bowl. Cover with water and allow them to soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and add them to the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker with the beans. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 10 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Check out the other #SundaySupper recipes:
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.