Gluten-Free Mushroom Swiss Poutine
Crispy fries drenched in rich mushroom gravy and gooey swiss cheese sauce. It’s gravy-fry heaven.
This recipe was developed for the amazing folks at McCormick for their Gluten-Free Mixes Launch as member of Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting my recipes and site while I work with brands I adore.
Poutine, you guys! If you’re not familiar with poutine, let me explain. It’s the Canadian version of fries with gravy, and it will blow your mind.
This recipe goes out to all the french fry-loving peeps out there–you know who you are!
I used McCormick‘s new Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix to create an addictive gluten-free recipe that everyone will love. No matter what your reasons are for skipping gluten, McCormick is here to make sure you’re not missing out on flavor with their new gluten-free recipe mixes.
This recipe for gluten-free mushroom swiss poutine will knock your socks off. I’m not kidding, folks. I made an easy mushroom gravy using McCormick’s new Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix that literally comes together in 10 minutes. I let the grocery store give me a little help (no shame in that) and bought a bag of seasoned frozen french fries. All you have to do is bake the fries until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Here’s where the magic happens. Add the fries to a platter (try not to eat them all before they get there), slather them with the mushroom gravy (drown those puppies), and drizzle with a generous helping of the gooey swiss cheese sauce.
Sit back, prop up your feet, and partake in fry heaven.
Can we chat about the swiss cheese sauce for a moment? These fries just keep getting better. The Swiss cheese sauce is a simple mixture of butter, corn starch, milk, and freshly grated Swiss cheese. I made a quick gluten-free roux by melting 4 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter is melted, slowly whisk in the cornstarch until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly for 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk and let the mixture thicken, whisking occasionally to prevent burning. Once the sauce thickens, whisk in the cheese (an entire cup) until smooth. Stir in worcestershire sauce to give the sauce a boost of flavor. Season with salt to taste.
The whole process takes about 8-10 minutes.
What you end up with is a thick, cheesy sauce to drizzle over your crispy fries. Because I’m a die-hard cheese lover, I topped my fries with a generous grating of Swiss cheese.
This recipe makes a 32-ounce bag of frozen fries, so you might want to call up some friends and have a fry-eating contest. They’re perfect for football gatherings or movie nights with the family.
Grab your fork and dig in!
If you like this recipe, you might like these Gluten-Free Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Burgers.
Gluten-Free Mushroom Swiss Poutine
Thick cut, crispy fries drenched in gluten-free mushroom gravy and swiss cheese sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 (32-ounce) bag frozen French fries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1 (0.88-ounce) packet McCormick Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup freshly grated Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake fries until golden brown and crispy, about 25-30 minutes. Prepare the mushroom gravy and Swiss cheese sauce while the fries are cooking.
- Place cooked fries on a large platter or in a large cast iron skillet. Top with mushroom gravy and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with grated Swiss cheese (optional). Serve immediately.
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan (do not salt); brown, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, whisk water and brown gravy mix until combined. Pour over the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the gravy thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Swiss Cheese Sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly whisk in the cornstarch until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the shredded cheese and worcestershire sauce until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed for the amazing folks at McCormick for their Gluten-Free Mixes Launch as member of Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting my recipes and site while I work with brands I adore.