Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies

Skinny never tasted so good!

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

Gigantic laundry land mines litter the floor of my basement. There are piles of dirty clothes as far as the eye can see. I find laundry to be the worst chore known to mankind, and this is coming from a person who washes a ton of dishes.

There are some very organized, very disciplined people–I’m not one of them–that conquer the dirty chore with elegance and grace. Again, I’m not one of those people. Just the other day, I found myself going through the endless piles of laundry in such a way that even I was embarrassed for myself. I had no idea which piles were dirty and which were clean,so, I did what any sane person would do. I started sniffing the laundry.

Worst. System. Ever.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

Sure, some of it smelled fresh as a sunny summer’s day…until it didn’t. After sniffing a few articles of clothing, I came to a not so clean sock. I’m not going to lie, the sock was rockin’. Again, worst system ever! I tried to think back to the moment I decided sniffing potentially dirty laundry was a good idea. I came up blank. I blame the desperate moment on a lapse in my sanity.

I quickly abandoned my efforts to save time and threw all the clothes in the dirty pile. No person should ever have to sniff a dirty sock. It’s just not worth it.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

I decided to ignore the ever growing piles of dirty laundry and headed to the kitchen to bake a batch of these skinny peanut butter fudge brownies.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

Who doesn’t love a good brownie? Better yet, who doesn’t love a good–and skinny–brownie topped with crunchy honey roasted peanuts and stuffed with gooey peanut butter?

If you’re nuts for peanut butter, these are all you.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

Lining the pan: The key to getting the brownies out of the pan after baking them is to line your pan with parchment paper so that it overlaps on each side. We want the parchment to overlap so we can use it as a handle when removing the brownies from the pan after they’re finished cooling. Take one piece of parchment and place it in the pan going in one direction, and then take a second piece of parchment and place it in the pan going the other direction. Your pan should like the one pictured above. When all is said and done, spray the parchment with a bit of non-stick baking spray. This method guarantees that you’re pan won’t eat your brownies.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

I used my skinny fudge brownie recipe as the base for this peanut butter stuffed recipe. Why mess with a good thing, right?

Brownie assembly:

1. Pour half the batter into your prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly throughout the pan.
  2. Pour the melted peanut butter over the first layer of brownie batter.
  3. Pour the remaining batter over the peanut butter mixture. Spread the mixture evenly over the peanut butter.
  4. Sprinkle the second layer of brownie batter with chopped honey roasted peanuts.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

See how easily the brownies come out of the pan? No mangled brownies. No mess. One even slab of chocolate-y deliciousness. Brownie success!

Wait for the brownies to cool completely before cutting them into even squares. If you cut the brownies while they’re hot, your brownies won’t cut evenly. You’ll end up with crumbs sticking to your knife and wonky, uneven squares.

I know it’s hard to wait, but it’s the price you pay for perfect brownies.

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from www.themessybakerblog.com

Just because we’re all watching what we eat doesn’t mean we don’t deserve a brownie. Honestly, what would life be like if there were no brownies?

Ready. Set. Chow!

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies

Decadent fudge brownies stuffed with peanut butter and sprinkled with honey roasted peanuts made skinny for your enjoyment.

Yield: 1 8-by-8-inch pan

2/3 cup dark chocolate chips

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons. white whole wheat flour

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-9-inch square pan with parchment that overlaps each side of the pan. Spray the pan with non-stick baking spray.

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth. Take off the heat and allow the chocolate to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and the eggs until slightly pale in color, about 1 minute. Whisk in the melted butter, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract until combined. Whisk in the chocolate.

Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour and salt until just combined.

Place the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat just until the peanut butter is pourable, about 30 seconds.

Pour half the batter into your prepared brownie pan, spreading the batter evenly throughout the pan. Top with melted peanut butter. Pour the remaining batter over the peanut butter and spread evenly. Sprinkle with honey roasted peanuts.

Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are okay).

Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut brownies into squares using a serrated knife.

All images and text ©.

53 Responses to “Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies”

shannon — January 23, 2014 at 8:47 am

so true: watching our weight doesn’t necessarily mean we have to deprive ourselves of the good stuff, right? besides, i’ve found that when i’m eating really good, something sweet goes a long way to curb my late-night cravings. i think these will do just fine.
    oh jennie: never. sniff. the laundry! BAD IDEA. I probably have had to create more of a system due to a small child (because they generate far more laundry than full-grown people, at least for a little while) and i think i’d rather wash whole loads of already clean clothing than try to sniff it out. FOR REALS.

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I’m not good at deprving myself of anything I desire or crave. You see, I’m weak. I have no willpower, so I must find ways to get around things like dieting. This recipe is it. Looking back, that wasn’t my best moment in life, probably my least smartest moment. No more sniffing for me.

Julia — January 23, 2014 at 10:02 am

Life would be a dark dark place without brownies, that’s for sure! I love you and your peanut buttery ways! These brownies are definitely calling out to me. I’d be much more apt to do my laundry if I knew I could munch on a plateful of these all the while ;)

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Word!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

I don’t want to live in a world where I can’t eat brownies! Especially it I couldn’t eat these amazing peanut butter and chocolate packed brownies! I can’t believe these are skinny! You made a very wise choice in abandoning laundry to make these. Priorities right?

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I’m with you, Taylor. What would life be like? It stresses me out to even imagine it. Thanks!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 23, 2014 at 11:32 am

I don’t hate laundry–I hate having to go to the laundromat but otherwise eh. You poor thing though, that sock sounds traumatic.

These brownies look SO incredibly fudgy and delicious, I love how you skinnified them girrrrl!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Eww, the laundromat. I believe that’s even worse than regular laundry. You win. Take a brownie… Matter of fact, take the entire pan.

[email protected] & Trinkets — January 23, 2014 at 1:59 pm

*raises hand* I’m nuts for peanut butter. And brownies. And they’re skinnified so I can eat the whole pan, right?

Make me brownies, I’ll come do your laundry.

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Kim, you have yourself a deal, lady. I’m all about pawning the laundry off on someone else. Thanks!

Ashley — January 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Ugh laundry. I hate it – especially after I’ve been gone for a few days. Somehow the husband seems to forget how to operate the washing machine when I’m not around … lies I tell you! haha These brownies look delicious – I wish I had one for an afternoon snack!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Ashley, I have one of those husbands, too. Let’s eat brownies to get us through. Cheers!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — January 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Jennie, I’m FINALLY visiting all of my favourite blogs after a long vacation/flu hiatus and I have to say, I’ve missed you! I’m loving all of your gorgeous photos today, especially the step by step photos and tips. And I love me some chocolate ‘n peanut butter combos, especially when it comes in a skinny version of brownies. Yum! As for laundry…I wouldn’t have even attempted the smell test so you’re a much braver woman than I am! I would’ve chucked all of it right into the washing machine.

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Welcome back, Nancy. I’ve missed your humor and kind words. I’m happy to hear you’re feeling better and back in the groove. I hope you had a lovely vacation. That flight had to be brutal. Squirrel drove me nuts on our recent 3 hour flight to Cancun. He’s a man child. Yeah, about that method… I’ll never attempt it again.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 24, 2014 at 11:54 am

Love how fudgy these look for being skinny! I think baking a batch of these brownies is just what I need to do to avoid my pile of laundry!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thanks, Jess!

Jen @ It's a Food Fetish — January 24, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I don’t mind doing laundry. It’s the chore of putting it all away afterwards that I dread. But if these brownies are waiting for me once I’m done, then that’s all the motivation that I need. I may even reward myself to entire pan. Wait, is it still skinny if I do that? Ha!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 25, 2014 at 12:49 am

Skinny, peanut butter and fudge. Does it defeat the purpose of them being skinny if I eat 10 of them?!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Hmm, I’m gonna go with no, Steph. I think you’re safe. Thanks!

Smitten Foodie — January 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm

How can you ever go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter? Sounds and looks delicious! Love the use of greek yogurt.
    Connie

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

You can’t, Connie. It will always be right. Thanks!

Alanna — January 26, 2014 at 11:17 pm

These brownies look killer – love the photos and tips! I too am a fan of baking as a mode of procrastination. :)

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thank you so much, Alanna! I’m forever procrastinating.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — January 27, 2014 at 3:38 am

What a fabulous idea to use Greek yoghurt in a brownie! Love simple substitutions like this that make something just a little bit healthier without going over board ;-)

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Thank you, Helen!

Danielle @ TheBestDessertRecipes.com — January 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

These look SO great! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thanks, Danielle!

[email protected] — January 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I just made a similar recipe. I like how great minds think alike :).. I love the fact that you used greek yogurt and whole wheat flour.. I will have to try that next time.

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 11:48 am

I love turning decadent treats into equally decadent skinny versions. Thanks for stopping by, Kristan.

Terra — January 28, 2014 at 1:26 am

It has been way too long since I stopped by, I hope you are doing well! I love that you made “healthier” brownies, and your addition of Greek yogurt sounds perfect! They look gorgeous, and would be devoured in seconds in our house! Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 11:47 am

Welcome back, Terra! It’s always nice to see you here. Thanks!

Amy @ Fearless Homemaker — January 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Bahaha, your laundry story is hilarious! That’s why I put my husband on laundry duty – he’s much better at that chore than I am! I’ll happily handle all the cooking, baby-rearing, + house-tidying, as long as it means I don’t have to do the laundry. And these brownies? Pure, amazing, deliciousness! I can’t believe they’re skinnyfied!

Carla — January 28, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Oh indulge in brownies that are made with less calories? I’m in.

Melissa — January 29, 2014 at 1:13 am

Yum- peanut butter and chocolate brownies! Looks absolutely yummy :) Loved the laundry tale; I’ve done the same thing and come to the same conclusion- it’s an “everything” laundry day!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:26 am

I’ve come to the conclusion that I will never sniff another piece of laundry again. In the washer it goes. Thanks!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — January 29, 2014 at 1:33 pm

These fudge brownies look INCREDIBLE! Can’t wait to try them!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:27 am

Thanks, Kelly!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 29, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I would like to say I have never sniffed a sock to see if it was clean, but I have more than once. Peanut butter and chocolate: delicious!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:27 am

Thanks, Laura!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — January 30, 2014 at 10:38 am

Hahaha, sniffing laundry. Right now I’m still in an apt building with a shared laundry room, so I can only let my laundry pile up so long. Luckily it keeps me semi-organized. I’m dreading when I have an actual laundry room (well i’m also excited about it) for fear of what my naturally messy self will do in there. I hope your nose has recovered from the sock incident ;)
    These brownies look awesome! I love your parchment trick…I don’t know if I’m just an idiot, but using two pieces of parchment never occurred to me. Instead, I always try to fold one piece of parchment to fit the corners just so…and inevitably end up with a wrinkled mess :(

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:31 am

I don’t miss the days I had to use the laundry room. Carrying all that crap down the steps was such a chore. Try using two pieces. It’s so much easier than fooling with it.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — January 31, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’m all for cutting calories and fat! AND I can still enjoy my peanut butter and chocolate. :) Good news to my ears. These brownies look delicious. :)

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thanks, Tina!

Jodi — January 31, 2014 at 11:27 am

These sound awesome…I’m going to try them with fat free greek yogurt and whole wheat flour. Thanks for the recipe!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks Jodi! Let me know how you like them with the whole wheat flour. Happy baking.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 31, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I don’t mind doing the laundry-it’s the dishes that I can’t stand doing!
    These brownies look incredible! I’m always a sucker for that PB and chocolate combo! Pinned! :)

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’m not a fan of dish washing, either. Thanks for the pin!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 2, 2014 at 11:44 pm

These look so delicious! I love that despite being “skinny”, these still look fudgy and decadent!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Thanks, Amanda!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — February 5, 2014 at 9:21 am

These look sooo good! Love peanut butter fudge anything. :D

And okay. This parchment paper thing mystifies me. And not just in your directions, but everywhere. I take one piece of parchment paper, plop it in the pan and just pour the brownie batter over it. Are the rolls of parchment paper not big enough in the US for that? (I haven’t ever used parchment paper there). And does stuff really stick to it?!

• Jennie replied February 5th, 2014 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Erin! The rolls of parchment here in the US are very large, so I cut it down to fit inside the smaller pans. I haven’t had an issue with baked goods sticking to it, but I spray it just to be safe.

Dianne Hocut — February 17, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Leaving some love…love your brownies! I don’t’ think I have ever gone wrong when I made brownies for dessert or a potluck. I think brownies could just be the universal message of love…will make these ASAP!

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Thanks, Dianne. So happy to have you here. Yes, brownies totally equal love.