Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita}

This fruity combination of red wine, citrus juice, and tequila will have craving this sangrita recipe every weekend.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

It’s Hump Day. Huuuuuump Daaaay!

I’ll spare you the rest of the camel commentary. But just so you know, it’s taking every ounce of willpower not to recite the entire commercial.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

I feel like it’s my responsibility to make sure you get through the week with all of your faculties intact (i.e. your sanity). So, I made you a cocktail.

I firmly believe that the world would be a far less inhabitable place without the existence of booze. I realize that this is a strong statement, but hear me out. Take the movie Office Space, for example. If Milton (the guy obsessed with the red Swingline stapler) would have just gone home and mixed himself a soothing cocktail, I’m betting he wouldn’t have gone so far as to set his entire office on fire. He might have settled for spitting in someone’s coffee instead.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

And, it just so happens that today is Drink Wine Day. I think we can all agree that this is the best food holiday ever. Since this Sunday is National Margarita Day, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and combine the two. Meet my new best friend, the sangrita.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

Sangria + margarita = sangrita.

My girlfriend and I used to meet every week for cocktails. This was before we became adults and life turned into one big to-do list.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

One night we found ourselves at a local Mexican joint and I came across the best cocktail invention on the face of the Earth. You guessed it. I’m talking about the sangrita. I remember thinking, Oh Em Gee (this was back when OMG was the in lingo), they took my very favorite thing in the whole wide world–wine–and mixed it with my very favorite cocktail–the margarita.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

To this very day, I’m still smitten with the fruity blend of sweet red wine, tart lime juice, and salty tequila. It’s a winning combination of flavors that makes its rotation on my weekend cocktail menu often. The only difference now is that I enjoy my cocktails at home–where they’re good ‘n’ cheap and always the way I like them–rather than at a bar.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita} Cocktail

I prefer to make this cocktail by the pitcher and invite the gals over for a ladies’ night.

Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita}

A fruity blend of sweet red wine, lime juice, and tequila.

Yield: 1 pitcher

Prep Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours

• 1 (750 ml) bottle of sweet red wine
  • 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 cup lime juice, preferable freshly squeezed
  • 1/4 cup 1:1 simple syrup (see note)
  • 1/2 cup orange liquor, such as triple sec or cointreau
  • 1/2 cup silver tequila

1. Add all of the ingredients to a large pitcher. Stir to combine.
  2. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to chill, about 2 hours.

1:1 simple syrup is made with equal parts sugar and water.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest3.3kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly74

25 Responses to “Sangrita {Sangria + Margarita}”

movita beaucoup — February 18, 2015 at 6:15 am

Yes, please. I would like some. {In a jug.}

• Jennie replied February 18th, 2015 at 7:11 am

One jug coming at ya! Let’s just make it two to be on the safe side. From what I hear, you’re buried in snow.

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — February 18, 2015 at 7:54 am

It’s DRINK WINE DAY?! And I thought National Pancake Day was the greatest holiday ever!
    I am in love with the idea of a margarita and sangria love child. It’s 5 here (who cares if it’s AM) and I want one! Pinned!

• Jennie replied February 18th, 2015 at 8:08 am

Hey, it’s 5 o’ clock somewhere, right? I say you go right on ahead and have yourself a glass of wine.

Susan — February 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

Love this, what a genius idea and all that gorgeous citrus is calling my name. I just wish we could drink wine together today Jennie! Your photos are stunning too.

• Jennie replied February 18th, 2015 at 8:09 am

Thank you so much, Susan! Yeah, I wish we lived closer so we could share cocktails weekly. Wouldn’t that be the greatest?

Linda | Brunch with Joy — February 18, 2015 at 9:37 am

Jennie, it’s only 6.35AM my time but I can take a sip (it’s 5pm somewhere, right?). Sangrita is a genius name and the combination is lovely. Great shots, too!

• Jennie replied February 18th, 2015 at 9:49 am

Totally appropriate. This is a judgement-free zone. Thank you so much, Linda!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 18, 2015 at 9:45 am

Party at your house! Jennie, your photos are fabulous. I cannot wait to try your sangrita! Thanks for sharing, my friend. Pinning and making, for sure! Cheers!

• Jennie replied February 18th, 2015 at 9:50 am

Yes! Come on over. Thank you so much for the pin, Stacy.

Julia — February 18, 2015 at 10:23 am

Mixing two of my favorite cocktails all on a Wednesday? Well played, m’dear…well.played! Can we start a blog series called Hump Day Cocktails, where we post a deeeelish cocktail ee’ery week to get us through to the weekend? I’m thinking that would be pretty brilliant. Love this tasty bevvie!

Stefanie - Sarcastic Cooking — February 18, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hahah! Oh Milton. I always think of that Homer Simpson quote, “Alcohol the cause and solution to all of life’s problems.” Or something like that. I drank sangria as in my honeymoon. Sigh, I could use one of these and a Mexican vacay too!

Nicole~Cooking for Keeps — February 18, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Gorgggggeous!!!!!

Beth @ bethcakes — February 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Wow, these are so gorgeous! Margs are some of my favorite things so I’m dying to try this!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — February 18, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Drink Wine Day! Gosh I almost missed it. Better make up for losing half the day and get to work!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — February 19, 2015 at 9:02 am

You know it’s just wrong to torture a preggo lady with stuff like this. What a gorgeous, refreshing, and summery looking drink! This makes me long for July!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — February 19, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Oooh you seem to have combined two of my great loves here – sangria and margarita! I have to try this recipe!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — February 19, 2015 at 7:51 pm

My family’s favorite Mexican restaurant introduced my mom to the sangrita, and as a fruity drink fan, she loves it! We never ever get takeout from there because she refuses to eat the food without her sangrita alongside the meal :) Yours looks great! Maybe we can finally order in Mexican and make her her fave drink, too!

Ashley — February 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Ooooo sangria is my drink of choice but I’ve never had a sangrita!! Time to change that. ASAP. This lady is ready for the weekend!

Meghan — February 27, 2015 at 10:04 am

I’m coming over and I’ll bring dessert! You are a genius and I cannot wait to try the sangrita!

shannon — March 2, 2015 at 6:08 pm

MINE! like the whole pitcher: i call it.

meg — April 21, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I am so excited to make these for my next bookclub meeting! What kind of red wine did you use? “Sweet red” could be such a range. Thanks!

Monica — October 28, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Please, what do consider a sweet red wine?  A port, a Marsala, a ???

• Jennie replied October 29th, 2015 at 8:26 am

Hi Monica,

I’ve used the following wines to make this recipe at some point: Barefoot Sweet Red, Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sweet Red, or Barefoot Refresh Summer Red Spritzer. They all work great. I hope this helps. Happy sipping!