Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

Grilled pita bread topped with homemade ricotta cheese, caramelized onions, and spicy sausage.

Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

‘Tis the season for man food. Lots of food. Big flavor. And men running around in spandex chasing after an oddly shaped ball.

That’s right, it’s football season. The BIG game is right around the corner. Have the men in your life started making game-day food requests? Squirrel started planning his game-day feast weeks ago. Football is a big deal at our house, and I’m always in charge of preparing the meticulously selected menu items.

You can’t have football without food. It just wouldn’t be right. If it weren’t for the spread of delicious food, I wouldn’t participate. While the men look cute in their tight pants, it’s not enough to keep me interested for 3+ hours. But food…food always keeps my attention.

Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

Bring on the apps, finger food, dips, nibbles, bites, and adult beverages!

My game-day drink of choice is wine. Since we’re prepping for the BIG game, I’ve invited two bottles to join the party: Cafe Zinfandel and White Merlot by Gallo Family Vineyards.

I’m no newbie to Cafe Zinfandel. It’s one of my favorites and go-to selection when I’m hosting a gathering or cozying up with a good book after work. This dark red zinfandel is just the right amount sweet. It’s bursting with flavors of ripe strawberry, watermelon, and juicy raspberry. I keep a small stock in my wine cabinet for whenever the mood strikes.

Their White Merlot is light and crisp with a hint of plum and cranberry. I just made room in my wine cabinet for a few extra bottles.

I decided to make my job easier this year and created a simple game-day menu full of easy appetizer recipes. This sausage & caramelized onion pita pizza recipe requires very little effort. The guys will love them because they’re topped with meat, and the ladies will love them because they’re a classy treat.

I purchased store-bought pita bread that I grilled on the stove top. You can use an indoor grill or cast iron pan to heat your pita. Brush both sides of the pita with a bit of olive oil and cook until crisp and slightly charred.

Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

For this recipe, I used a roll of spicy sausage that I browned in a sauté pan until crisp. I caramelized the onions in the same pan I used to brown sausage. Because, less dishes.

After you have all of your elements ready to go, it’s time to assemble the pizzas. Spread your grilled pita with a generous amount of ricotta cheese. I used my recipe for homemade ricotta cheese, but you can just as easily use the help from the store and purchase a container of ricotta. Top the ricotta with some of the crispy sausage and caramelized onions. Cut the pizza into quarters using a pizza cutter.

Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

Of course, serve with wine.

Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza

Yield: 3 pita pizzas

• 1/2 pound bulk or ground sausage
  • 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3 pita bread rounds
  • 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves

1. Brown the sausage in a saute pan over medium-high heat until brown and crispy, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan using a slotted spoon and transfer it to the plate towel-lined plate, reserving the grease. Set aside.
  2. Turn the heat down to low and add the sliced onions to the saute pan with the reserved sausage grease. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are caramelized and amber brown in color, about 30-35 minutes.
  3. Heat a sauté or grill pan over medium low heat. Brush both sides of all three pita bread rounds with olive oil, about 1/2 teaspoon per side. Cook the pita bread until toasted, about 2 minutes per side.
  4. To assemble the pita bread pizzas, spread 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese on each piece of toasted pita bread. Top with a layer of the browned sausage and caramelized onions. Sprinkle with chopped thyme. Using a pizza cutter, cut the pita bread into 4 quarters. Serve immediately.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest496Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

31 Responses to “Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza”

Renee — January 25, 2015 at 6:40 am

I just found my new favorite pita pizza. YUMMY!

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic — January 25, 2015 at 7:20 am

Pizza AND caramelized onions! My favorites! I’m in love with this pizza.

Laura Dembowski — January 25, 2015 at 8:22 am

This looks wonderful and so easy to make! Gotta love anything with caramelized onions.

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — January 25, 2015 at 9:00 am

What a great combo! This looks delicious!

Liz — January 25, 2015 at 10:17 am

I love how you streamlined this recipe! SO easy, yet elegant and irresistible! Time to buy some pita bread :)

Marlene @Nosh My Way — January 25, 2015 at 10:39 am

I love the use of pita brad for the base and then adding home made ricotta, Oh-Em-Gee!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 25, 2015 at 10:56 am

Ohhh, simply gorgeous! I am so loving your recipe!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — January 25, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Pita pizza is awesome. I love your unique take on it!

Linda | Brunch with Joy — January 25, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Forget big game day. This sausage caramelized pizza is perfect for any day!

Katie @ Recipe for Perfection — January 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I love pizzas like this! And this one has the perfect combo of flavors. Photos are so pretty, too! :)

Nichole — January 25, 2015 at 12:56 pm

“Tis’ the season for men running around in spandex”, lol! This pita pizza is amazing!

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — January 25, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Oh myyyy! I love ricotta on my pizza. This looks absolutely delicious!

Shaina — January 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Yummmm I love anything topped with caramelized onions! Ricotta always adds a nice creamy touch too — yum!

Ashley — January 25, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Caramelized onions are the way to my heart!!! These little pizzas look delicious!

Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook — January 25, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Using pita as a crust is so smart! And caramelized onions are my absolute favorite pizza topping.

Alida — January 25, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Caramelized onions and sausage make these pita pizzas perfection!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 26, 2015 at 12:09 am

Oh, girl…you had me at pizza and homemade ricotta! Add some caramelized onions and a spicy sausage and this just spells heaven! Thank you for sharing, Jennie. Have a great week ahead!

Julia — January 26, 2015 at 11:56 am

Homemade ricotta?!! I MUST do this! I’m foreseeing a ton of pizzas in my Super Bowl party future, and I’m thinking I’ll need to try your toppings on for size. There’s just no going wrong with caramelized onions! Hope you had a great weekend!

Hezzi-D — January 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I love pita pizzas and this combination of sausage and onions sounds fabulous!

Katie — January 26, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Anything related to pizza has my heart! And when caramelized onions are involved, I’m totally in!!!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — January 26, 2015 at 8:52 pm

This looks phenomenal! I especially love the ricotta :)

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 27, 2015 at 9:58 am

I’m a big fan of these delicious pizza toppings! I can’t get through an entire football game without lots of yummy snacks!

Matea — January 27, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I’m the same; the food keeps me interested in the game! :)

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — January 27, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Haha yep, Jeff has been planning his menu for at least two weeks now. Mind you, it’ll just be the two of us.

I’m digging this recipe. Put caramelized onions and sausage on just about anything, and I”ll be first in line. Also, I just recently discovered how awesome pita bread is at pizza crust. And so easy!

K / Pure & Complex — January 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I am so loving the caramelized onions and the sausage on this pizza. Superb

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 27, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I’m with you-the food is all I’m interested in for The Super Bowl and I so wish i could come over to your house and have this pizza! That ricotta! Those onions!

Cookin Canuck — January 28, 2015 at 11:01 am

Yes, I want this for game day. But, even more, I want it for lunch TODAY! What fantastic flavors!

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale — January 28, 2015 at 11:48 am

I just made a grilled caramelized onion pizza too! Seriously one of my new favorite things! LOVE the flavors in this! yummy and gorgeous!

Peabody (Culinary Concoctions by Peabody) — January 29, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Ohhhh, now that looks tasty. Love me some caramelized onions.