Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal

Start your morning off with a big ol’ bowl of this creamy eggnog steel cut oatmeal.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

Breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day, so “they” say. I don’t know who this mysterious group of people is, but I have to agree with them.

I have a tendency to skip lunch when my schedule is overwhelmed with deadlines, which is quite often. To remedy the lost calories at lunch, I start my day with a nutritious breakfast that will keep me full until dinner. This eggnog steel cut oatmeal is hearty enough to keep me full.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

Steel cut oats are whole oat groats that have been cut into pieces. These whole grain oats are high in protein and rich in fiber. They create a thick, creamy hot cereal when simmered with water that has a lovely chewy texture.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

Cooking steel cut oats is easy. You can prepare them in advance and store them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. I like to package the cooked oatmeal in individual containers for an easy, grab-and-go breakfast.

Bring 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt to a gentle boil. Stir in 1 cup of steel cut oats. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered until the mixture thickens and the oats become tender but still chewy, about 25-30 minutes. Take off the heat and stir in eggnog, maple syrup, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

I like to top my oatmeal with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, and a touch of orange zest.

Eggnog: most folks either love it or hate it. I happen to adore eggnog. I like to spike it with bourbon, stir it in my morning coffee, and bake things like eggnog cinnamon chip scones scones and soft-baked ginger cookies with eggnog glaze.

I usually wait until after Thanksgiving to feed my eggnog craving, but I decided to give in a little early this year. It was becoming increasingly hard to walk down the dairy isle without throwing a carton of nog in my cart, so I finally caved last week.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

If you love the sweet, spicy flavors of eggnog, I highly recommend stirring it into your bowl of morning oatmeal. It creates the creamiest bowl of oatmeal you ever did taste.

Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal | www.themessybakerblog.com

Make sure you visit Food Fanatic to check out this Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe.

Start your day off right every day. Check out my other breakfast recipes.
Love oatmeal? Try this Orange-Scented Steel Cut Oats recipe:

Orange Scented Steel Cut Oats | www.themessybakerblog.com

14 Responses to “Eggnog Steel Cut Oatmeal”

Gina Lane — December 4, 2014 at 10:47 am

How much eggnog?

• Jennie replied December 4th, 2014 at 11:14 am

Hi Gina! I apologize for the missing ingredient. I just updated the ingredient list to include the eggnog. You’ll need 1/2 cup of eggnog for this recipe. Thanks for stopping by!

Julia — December 4, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I’m with ya, girly – I LOVE eggnog! I started making my own last year and have yet to make a batch this year. You’ve inspired me to whip out my nogging skillz, so let’s see if I can hold onto it long enough to add it to my tasty morning oatmeal :D

• Jennie replied December 4th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Yes to homemade nog! I’m making me a big ol’ batch of my grandmother’s recipe this weekend. Thanks!

Gina — December 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thanks. I love eggnog and oatmeal. I didn’t have time this morning to cook the steel cut oats so I made quick oatmeal using half water, half eggnog. It was fantastic. Thanks for the idea.

• Jennie replied December 4th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

You’re very welcome, Gina!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — December 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Now this is a holiday breakfast. Looks awesome.

[email protected] — December 4, 2014 at 8:54 pm

This is so happening on Christmas day for lazy breakfast!! Yumm!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — December 4, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Loving the idea of an eggnog flavoured oatmeal. I have a feeling that this dish would be perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — December 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I am thinking Christmas breakfast right here. Loving this oatmeal idea!

Ashley — December 5, 2014 at 2:11 pm

What a fun spin on oatmeal!! I love it! I don’t like to drink eggnog but I love using it in cooking and baking – this sounds awesome!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — December 5, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Oats are a regular staple in my breakfast routine, but WHY have I never thought to add eggnog to them? So smart. And yummy.

Laura Dembowski — December 7, 2014 at 8:46 am

I skip lunch pretty much every day, so I always eat a really hearty breakfast. This is an awesome twist on traditional oatmeal!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — December 10, 2014 at 1:03 am

Eggnog in oatmeal?? That’s pure genius! I can definitely get behind that! I started my eggnog craze before Thanksgiving too. It only comes once a year (if only stores still stocked it clear through Easter!), so I decided I shouldn’t waste a single moment this year. ;) Pinned!