Peanut Butter Oat Balls

A deliciously sweet combination of peanut butter, oats, honey, and mini chocolate chips.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

This recipe was a happy accident. I started off making one thing and ended up not having all of the ingredients (typical), so I fudged it and made something happen anyway.

Who knew it would turn out so delicious. Sometimes happy accidents end up tasting amazing. I wasn’t going to share this recipe, but, since I journal every single recipe I create (it’s the blogger in me), I knew I couldn’t keep this one a secret.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

These little balls may be healthy, but they sure don’t taste healthy. They remind me of candy…specifically, a Reese’s peanut butter cup, only in ball form.

The balls are a mixture of oats, peanut butter, flax seed meal, honey, vanilla extract, and mini chocolate chips. Simple ingredients. One delicious–and healthy–treat.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

There’s no need to set aside a ton of time for this recipe. One rubber spatula and one bowl is all you need. Everything gets plopped in the bowl and stirred together. Give the mixture a roll in the palm of your hand, and you have yourself a cookie sheet full of peanut butter oat balls.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

From start to finish, this recipe took me 8 minutes to complete. Store the balls in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

I like to call these balls a fake out snack. You’re body is getting the nutrients it needs, but all your mouth tastes is sweet, peanut buttery deliciousness. Everyone’s happy.

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

Snack away, my friends!

Peanut Butter Oat Balls

Yield: 20 Balls

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup flax seed meal

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup honey

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add oats, flax seed meal, and mini chocolate chips to a large bowl. Stir to combine.

Add peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract. Using a wooden soon or rubber spatula, stir until thoroughly combined. The mixture will be very thick.

Shape the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls. Transfer the balls to an airtight container, separating each layer with wax paper. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.

All images and text ©.

48 Responses to “Peanut Butter Oat Balls”

shannon — January 16, 2014 at 8:38 am

totally making these to trick myself into thinking i’m having dessert. Not even kidding, because i seem to be doing great at eating during the day, but at night? i want all the sugar. so these would be perfect for that craving. :)

• Jennie replied January 16th, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’m having the same problem, Shannon. I end up eating an orange or banana during the day and at night I’m craving chocolate and sweets. I have a bag of these stocked in my refrigerator for those moments of weakness.

• Kay @ goaloflosing.com replied April 15th, 2015 at 6:04 pm

That’s exactly what I used this recipe for tonight! What a great alternative to my typical dessert. So much better for me!

Samantha — January 16, 2014 at 9:51 am

A fake out snack, that’s such a great term. I need to make these to satisfy my late night cravings!

Julia — January 16, 2014 at 10:58 am

Ah hells bells, I want balls all over my house…pb oat balls that is! You’re a woman after my own peanut butter-loving heart, my dear! I love everything about these and want them in every nook and cranny of my home :)

• Buck replied August 10th, 2014 at 12:03 am

I’ve got some balls you can enjoy all over your house!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 16, 2014 at 11:56 am

I love these little balls! You took all my fav flavours and wrapped them up in a cute little package! I’m a huge fan of easy snacks like this AND I have all the ingredients at home. Yes!!

Ps. I am drooling over that board… Where did you get it??

Tina Muir — January 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Yum! These look great! And healthy too?! Will have to give them a try as a snack to enjoy after my training runs. I currently have been reaching for the wrong kind of snacks, but these would be perfect to tide me over until I am able to refuel properly. If they taste like reese cups….Im in! Thanks!

Jen @ It's a Food Fetish — January 16, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Gotta love a happy accident! These look fantastic , Jennie. I’m definitely going to make some over the weekend.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 16, 2014 at 8:24 pm

This….is…..EPIC. Healthy AND tasty little bites!! Pinnninggggg

[email protected] & Trinkets — January 17, 2014 at 11:03 am

My aunt calls these “blunder recipes,” when you screw up a recipe but it turns out even better than what you intended.

Anyway, I love these blunder peanut butter balls. I’m totally going to make them to snack on at work!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Love it! A “fake out snack”. No matter what you call them, I need them in my life. Seriously…I’m whipping up a batch of these babies this weekend. Thank goodness for happy accidents in the kitchen, eh? Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend, Jennie!

Stuff4ecoop — January 18, 2014 at 12:12 am

This reminds me of a recipe from 2years ago at http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/
    Do you follow her?

Yead — January 18, 2014 at 4:40 am

Looking so YUMMY. I have no comment. Just want this.

Laura Dembowski — January 18, 2014 at 9:44 am

Love happy accidents! These look like a great snack or even dessert!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Thanks, Laura!

Jen — January 18, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Beautiful! Oats, peanut butter & chocolate– great combo!

[email protected] — January 19, 2014 at 2:03 am

I LOVE happy accidents!! They are the best! And so are these little bites. They’re so pretty, too!!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Me too! Thanks, Kate!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

I love one bowl recipes! And happy accidents are the best kids of accidents :)

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Katrina. Thanks!

mjskit — January 22, 2014 at 12:05 am

Whenever I need a little pick me up, I’ll put a couple of chocolate morsels in a soup and then scoop out a bite of peanut butter from the jar. Eating one of these oat balls would definitely accomplish the same thing, but be even better. I love these! And so easy to make. Thanks!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thanks, MJ!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — January 30, 2014 at 10:34 am

Happy accidents are always nice :) These look delicious. Such a healthy, tasty treat!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:28 am

Thanks, Amy!

TJ22 — January 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I make these with almond butter (my daughter has a peanut allergy) and sometimes add raisins instead of chocolate chips and include some cinnamon as well. I too stumbled upon the combination in an attempt to make healthy raw cookie dough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:26 am

That combo sounds amazing! Thanks for visiting.

Elvi Jo Daly — August 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I just made these with our preschool group – didn’t have flax seed nor chocolate chips. I added 2 T. Coconut oil and 2 T. Cocoa powder.
    They were fun, hands-on and they disappeared.
    The best part? One child asked me to write down the recipe for her and her mom to make. Thank you!

• Jennie replied December 8th, 2014 at 5:30 pm

What a cute story. You don’t hear of kids asking for recipes too often. I’m so happy to hear that everyone loved the recipe. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Pregnant Mama — August 31, 2014 at 10:57 am

I rarely have cravings but when I do, look out! Last night at 10 pm I was craving peanut butter and oatmeal cookie dough. Obviously I don’t want to devour raw eggs nor was I into a massive baking project that late, so I was extremely happy to find this recipe! I made a batch in under 5 minutes and still had enough left over for the kids and husband this morning! Delicious! These will for sure become a staple in our house! Thank you so much for this recipe!!!

• Jennie replied September 2nd, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always having fierce cravings, and this recipe is my go-to for a quick fix. I’m so happy to hear that you loved the oat balls.

Rachel - Reflective Mom — October 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Made these tonight because my husband’s been asking for them….and we just happened to buy flaxseed meal this week. Delicious! I used coconut flakes instead of chocolate chips (what I had on hand). Still great! I think I made your recipe the last time I googled it too. Thank you!

• Jennie replied December 8th, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Hi Rachel! I’m so happy to hear that you and your hubs loved the oat balls. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

• LoveThisRecipe replied March 5th, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for this recipe will try!

Chelsea — November 19, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Do you know how many weight watcher points each ball is by chance?

• Jennie replied December 8th, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Hi Chelsea! No, I’m so sorry.

Sarah — November 22, 2014 at 3:49 am

I’m always looking for healthy treats for my family and I just made these yesterday. They are delicious and so easy to make, my husband and kids loved them. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe, I’ll be trying your carrot cake balls next!

• Jennie replied December 8th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Hi Sarah! I’m so happy to hear that you and your family loved this recipe. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.

Michael — December 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

Do you cook the oats first?

• Jennie replied December 8th, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hi Michael! Nope, you don’t have to cook the oats. You’ll use them as is. Happy treat making!

Kellie — December 8, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. I am an early childhood major and I had to find and create an ooey gooey recipe and be able to present it. It had to work for preschoolers and this worked perfect. I can’t wait to share it with my class

Samantha — January 6, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Just pulled mine out of the fridge, used raisins instead because I didn’t have any chocolate and they were super satisfying. This recipie is great, will definitely be making more!

baby plants — January 12, 2015 at 3:57 am

Hi, this weekend is nice for me, as this time i am reading
    this enormous educational piece of writing here at my house.

cassandra — January 31, 2015 at 7:31 pm

hey im craving these balls so I’ve got all the ingredients but i dont hav the flax seed meal so what can i do to replace it thx

Cindy — February 26, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I just made these, and they are delicious! I also made some with walnuts mixed in. Thanks so much for your recipe!

• Jennie replied February 28th, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hi Cindy! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the recipe. It’s a reader favorite. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.

LoveThisRecipe — March 5, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Thanks for giving us this recipe! Will try

1. Pingback: Pink Lemonade No Bake Cheesecake Parfaits | Cravings of a Lunatic