Watermelon-Mint Cooler

A frothy and boozy blend of fresh watermelon, bright mint, and zesty lime.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

Have you ever heard of a stay-cation? It’s a vacation, only you’re not actually vacationing. A stay-cation is enjoyed from the comforts of your home as you gaze at the palm tree that lives on your computer screen.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

You’re all familiar with the palm tree I’m referring to. It’s the same palm tree that appears on every screen saver in every cubicle of every office building. The I-wish-I-were-sitting-under-that-palm-sipping-on-fresh-coconut-water-instead-of-at-this-dump palm tree.

I’ll wait while you conjure up the mental image of the dream-crushing palm tree.

It’s a big fat tease, but, when you’re broke as a joke, staring at a palm tree on a deserted island somewhere off the coast on a computer screen will do in a pinch.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

It also helps if you’re holding a cocktail. Knock back a frothy mug full of watermelon-mint cooler and reality quickly becomes blurred. You’ll have yourself convinced you were rocking on a hammock beneath that palm tree the next morning.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

Sweet, juicy watermelon is currently in season and dying to be mixed with booze. Okay, so I don’t know if watermelon is “dying” to be mixed with booze, but I was “dying” to get my hands on one so I could booze it up.

I chopped some watermelon into fat chunks and dumped in the bowl of my new Vitamix blender.

Yes, you heard right. I am now the proud owner of a Vitamix. I only had to wait 30 years to get my hands on one, but I’m not complaining. I think Squirrel got tired of hearing me whine every time we walked past the display at Costco, so he threw in the towel and finally bought the dang thing.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

I digress. Back to the cocktail.

After you chop and add the watermelon to the blender, pour in the booze and lime juice. I used a combination of vodka and triple sec for this recipe. We all know vodka and watermelon get along, so that was a no brainer. The triple sec adds a subtle sweet orange flavor to the mix.

Oh yeah, don’t forget the mint. Remove the leaves from the stem and throw it in with the rest of the goods. I also added a little sugar to sweeten the deal.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

Pop on the lid and hit the “on” switch. Blend until smooth.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve and pour over ice. Add a wedge of lime, hunk of watermelon, and sprig of mint. Serve with a fancy straw.

Watermelon Mint Cooler | www.themessybakerblog.com

This sweet and vibrant cocktail is summer in a glass.

Watermelon-Mint Cooler

A sweet and frothy cocktail made with fresh watermelon, mint, and vodka. It’s summer in a glass.

Yield: 3 (8 ounce) glasses

3 cups chopped watermelon

1/4 cup mint leaves

1/2 cup vodka

1/4 cup triple sec

1/4 cup lime juice

1 tablespoon granulated sugar or simple syrup

Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a blender. Pulse until smooth.

Serve over ice with a wedge of lime, hunk of watermelon, and sprig of mint.

All images and text ©.

23 Responses to “Watermelon-Mint Cooler”

movita beaucoup — June 27, 2014 at 6:30 am

I don’t have a Vitamix. I have a plastic bag and hammer. That’s just how I roll. So, when I make this amazing cooler, I’ll be building muscles, which will prevent hip breaks in the future.

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:10 am

There’s nothing wrong with the plastic bag and hammer method. Whatever gets the job done, right? Two birds. One stone. Love it!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — June 27, 2014 at 7:07 am

Um so my Friday..it NEEDS THIS! I still haven’t eaten any watermelon yet…and I am pretty sure that’s a crime. So, obviously I should change that.
    Plus, adding booze? Yes. Pinned!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:11 am

Booze on Friday is a must. I think it’s in the rule book somewhere. Girl, you need to get yourself some melon. Thanks!

Laura Dembowski — June 27, 2014 at 8:29 am

Okay I love a good staycation. Mostly because I hate to travel. I know, it’s a bummer. I think my mom is going to cave on buying a Vitamix soon too. Then I can make these and my staycation will be even better!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:12 am

Tell your mom to cave. It will be the best decision ever. I’m smitten. Thanks, Laura!

Amy @ Fearless Homemaker — June 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

These look AMAZING and these are seriously some of the most gorgeous food/drink pics I’ve ever seen. Want want want!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thank you so much, Amy. You are so sweet.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — June 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

These are GAWGEOUUUS–so refreshing and light and amazing!!!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thanks, Kayle!

Terra — June 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm

A stay-cation with this cocktail sounds pretty fantastic to me!!! Love all the flavors. I wonder if this bourbon girl could switch out vodka for bourbon…..hmmmmm….:-) Cheers, Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:13 am

We drank them over the weekend next to a miniature palm tree. You know, for the full affect. It was like being on the beach. Thanks, Terra!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — June 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Yes yes yes yes yes! To all of this! Congrats on the vitamix – I was so happy for you when I saw the news on Facebook. And hells to the yeah for this watermelon mint cooler. Nothing is more refreshing in the summer than fresh, ripe, icy cold watermelon. Add booze ‘n mint and my brain will float away to that palm tree in my dreams and on our screens. I actually want to take a week off work in the fall and just stay home. Sleep in, putter around, eat whatever I want, make a few pitchers of this drink. Heaven! And Jennie, your photos are outstanding!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thanks, Nancy! I’ve been in blender heaven this past week. I’m all about taking a week off to stay home. Half the time I need a vacation from my vacation. Cheers!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 30, 2014 at 12:47 am

One day you and I are going to get together and mix up drinks all day long!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:14 am

Stephanie, that would be amazing. There would be so much sangria happening. Love it!

Choc Chip Uru — June 30, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Such a gorgeous cooler :D
    The colour and flavour!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thanks, Uru!

Rachel Cooks — June 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm

These look so refreshing and delicious!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much, Rachel!

shannon — July 5, 2014 at 7:35 am

ALL THE YES, JENNIE. I will sit outside and drink watermelon with you all day long.

i have palm trees out my window right now, but only b/c i’m currently in a vacation. i don’t want to crush your soul: in fact, i wish you would come with me and make us drinks and food so we could food ourselves silly. sound good? GREAT! :)

Roz — July 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I love this recipe; so absolutely perfect for summer sipping! Photography is superb too! Thank you for sharing! PINNED!!!
    Roz