Pecan Streusel Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
Turkey Day is only 13 days away. Are you ready? I’m not.
I haven’t prepared my menu, my pantry isn’t stocked, and I don’t have an organic, grass-fed, free-range gobbler on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator.
I suppose I better hurry it up if I’m going to feed people. If not, I’m going to have one angry crowd on my hands.
I did, however, get it together long enough to help you with your Thanksgiving menu. Every year, I make this pecan streusel topped sweet potato casserole. I adopted the recipe from my girlfriend at work and have been making this casserole every year for the past six years. It’s so good!
I love it. Squirrel loves it. My family loves it. I tried replacing it with a different sweet potato dish one year and got hell for it. A bunch of whining adults is all it took for the dish to stay on the menu.
The sweet potatoes get whipped with melted butter, eggs, and a bit of sugar, creating thick, custardy mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of sweetness. The pecan streusel is buttery, nutty, and perfectly sweet.
After the casserole comes out of the oven, the potatoes are bubbly and the streusel is perfectly brown and crunchy. Crack through the nutty goodness to get to the velvety potato center.
One helping isn’t enough.
- Sweet Potatoes
- 2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pecan Streusel
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 8-inch by 8-inch casserole dish.
- Add the sweet potatoes, sugar, and melted butter to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to the buttered casserole.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, and pecans. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly coated with the butter.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the streusel. Bake for 35 minutes.