Strawberry Jam & Toasted Almond Swirled Ice Cream
Thick, creamy vanilla ice cream swirled with homemade strawberry jam and toasted almonds.
Greetings from The Windy City, folks! I’m currently vacationing in the great city of Chicago, and, I must say, I’m having a blast!
I’m kind of wishing I lived here permanently. Hmm, I just might have to make that happen.
I flew out here with my grandmother to have a girls’ week with my aunt and cousin. It’s all cocktails, all the time. Also, lots of food, shopping, and evenings soaking in my aunt’s hot tub. I’m not going to lie, life is pretty fabulous right now.
A few weeks ago, I dusted off my ice cream maker in preparation for warm weather. Ice cream is my favorite summertime treat of all time. I had a friend tell me that she wasn’t a “big fan” of ice cream the other day. Um, not a big fan of ice cream? I had no idea there were such a species of people walking this Earth.
I quickly responded, “Um, about that. We can no longer be friends. Mm’kay, bye.” Okay, so I’m being a bit over dramatic. We’re still friends–just not as close ;)
Let’s talk about this Strawberry Jam & Toasted Almond Swirled Ice Cream. Well, it’s just as good as it sounds, if not better. Who am I kidding, it’s absolutely delicious. I know I’ve mentioned this before–like 3 other times–but I’m going to mention it again because I’m head-over-heels in love with this Small Batch Strawberry Jam from Chocolate Moosey. The shit is good, y’all.
The half-eaten jar of jam was screaming to be used for something other than toast. What better way to use homemade jam than in a batch of homemade ice cream. There is no better way… Well, unless you use it in this Strawberry Jam Bourbon Smash.
This ice cream is so stinkin’ delicious. It’s sweet, creamy, and swirled with fresh strawberry bits from the jam and loads of toasted almonds. It’s your ice cream dreams come to life. It’s fireworks-in-your-mouth good.
Add it to a waffle cone, and it’s life perfected.
Strawberry Jam & Toasted Almond Swirled Ice Cream
Thick, creamy homemade vanilla ice cream swirled with homemade strawberry jam and loads of toasted almonds.
- 1 and 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup of heavy cream and place a mesh strainer on top.
- Add egg yolks to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Heat the milk, sugar, and remaining cup of heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat just until the mixture is hot to the touch (do not boil).
- Slowly pour the heated milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer and stir into the cream. Add the vanilla bean paste and almond extract (or emulsion) and stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in an airtight container and chill completely before churning, at least 8 hours.
- When the mixture is completely chilled, place it in your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the almonds in the last minute of churning.
- As you transfer the mixture to the strorage conatiner you’re going to freeze your ice cream in, drizzle in some of the strawberry jam after every few spoonfuls of ice cream. Store in the freezer for at least 4 hours before serving. The ice cream will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
1. If your jam is too firm, place it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
2. If you don’t have vanilla bean paste handy, you can substitute equal parts vanilla extract.
11 Comments on “Strawberry Jam & Toasted Almond Swirled Ice Cream”
This looks heavenly and love this flavor combo as well as the jam :) Pinning!
This ice cream looks amazing! Strawberries and almonds are one of those duos that go so well together even though you wouldn’t think it at first. I want a huge scoop!
So glad to hear you had a nice cocktail-infused weekend with the family! And I love Chicago too…so much culture and such a great food scene! Millennium Park is da bomb! This ice cream is making my mouf water like no other. Homemade strawberry jam all swirled up in ice cream? With crunchy almonds? Too.good!
this ice cream looks beautiful!!! I love that toasted almond swirl, especially!
and that girls week in Chicago sounds soooo fun!
haha my sister is one of those weirdos who doesn’t really like ice cream. Me? I think she’s nuts. This flavor sounds soooo good!
This looks so good, glad you’re enjoying your vacation and I’m glad to have stumbled upon your blog–lots of good recipes and great photos!
your girls’ weekend sounds like so much fun! And what a great time of year to do it: nice weather, not to hot.
and this ice cream: i can’t. even. with the flavors here…it sounds amazing and i’m totally doing it. toasted almonds make anything better.
wow! So much yum here. My gals would devour this in mere seconds.
Thanks so much! It didn’t last long in our house either :)
I haven’t made ice cream in awhile. I need to bust out the maker. Strawberries and almonds sounds like great additions.
Pingback: Friday Wallflavourites: Edition 27 - Wallflour Girl