Avocado, Tomato, and Sliced Egg Toast
I’m finding it hard to type this post. Not because I can’t find the words to say, but because I’m busy stuffing my mouth with this avocado, tomato, and sliced egg toast.
Every time I take a bite, I have to wipe gobs of creamy avocado from my fingers before I begin typing again. This unbelievably simple recipe is unbelievably delicious. It just goes to show that recipes don’t have to be complicated to achieve bold flavor.
When I say simple, I’m talkin’ 5 minutes from start to finish. I’m enjoying this loaded toast for lunch, but it would be just as delicious for breakfast. Not only is this recipe healthy, but it’s super filling.
You guys, I can’t stop eating! Excuse me while I take another bite…
Okay, I’m back.
The sandwich is simply built: toast, avocado, sliced tomato, and sliced hard-boiled egg. I’m betting you can find most of these items in your pantry and fridge.
I jazzed it up a bit with an easy 4 ingredient chipotle crema drizzle (salt and pepper don’t count). The crema makes this toast absolutely irresistible. Next time I make this recipe, I’m going to make extra crema to keep in the fridge for whenever the mood strikes.
Here’s how to assemble the toast:
1. Toast a slice of whole wheat (or bread of choice) bread.
2. While the bread is toasting, slice and scoop 1 avocado into a small bowl. Smash with a fork until creamy but still chunky. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread a thick layer of avocado on your toast.
3. Top with slices of tomato and hard-boiled egg. Don’t forget to salt and pepper each layer. That’s how I achieve bold flavor in this recipe.
4. Drizzle with the chipotle crema (don’t be shy).
If you want to save a dish, you can skip step two and smash your avocado as you spread it on the toast. Don’t forget to add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
The avocado to toast ratio is a bit off. I used 1 avocado to 1 slice of toast. Not a mistake. I wanted an extra thick layer of creamy avocado to cover my toasted bread.
Fun food fact: Avocados are rich in healthy fats and contain more potassium than a banana. The green fruit (yes, fruit) is full of fiber, vitamins, and heart-healthy monosaturated fatty acids.
This recipe is extremely healthy. The protein from the avocados and hard-boiled egg will keep you full for hours.
Avocado, Tomato, and Egg Toast
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 avocado
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle in adobo
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the bread.
- Cut your avocado in half and remove the seed. Smash the avocado in a small bowl until creamy but still chunky. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread the avocado on the toast.
- Top the avocado with sliced tomato and egg, adding a sprinkle of salt and pepper to each layer. Drizzle with the chipotle crema.
Chipotle Crema: In a small bowl, add yogurt, chipotle, lime juice, and honey. Whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.