Coconut-Almond Macaroons

I found this recipe for coconut-almond macaroons last week in my Rachel Ray magazine and haven’t stopped thinking about them since. They’re simple, delicious, and semi-healthy. What!

Guess what, they only took a total of 5 minutes to whip up. Yay for instant gratification!

What does just about every recipe call for when baking? This is an easy one. Sugar, of course. Not only does sugar sweeten the deal, but it also provides structure, creates that moist texture we all crave, and aids in the development of a tender crumb. It’s the fundamental building block of baking; without it, your baked goods would be lifeless and dull.

Here at The Messy Baker, we’re fueled by sugar. You didn’t know this? Well, now you do. The little sugar elf in the basement keeps the fire burning, shoveling scoop after scoop of glistening sugar crystals into the fire day in and day out. Psht, I wish! It sure would save me several trips to Costco. I go through my fair share of sugar each year. I’m talking pounds!

Mayhem ensues when my sugar jar starts to get low. I start to get all jittery and my stress level spikes. What if I want to bake something and I don’t have sugar? The anxiety starts to gnaw on my nerves and  panic starts to rise. Funny how something as simple as sugar can cause such a high level of stress. I quickly learned to keep a stock pile of sugar in the pantry at all times.

When I’m grocery shopping, I reach for the ubiquitous yellow bag of  Domino Sugar. The Domino Sugar Company has been around for several years, creating a household name and the world’s largest sugar company. They pride themselves on selling the nation’s best sugar brands. Granulated sugar isn’t the only product Domino manufactures. They also produce agave syrup, organic sugar, raw sugar cane, brown sugar, and confectioner’s sugar–sugar as far as the eye can see!

There’s a Domino Sugar factory very close to my house in downtown Baltimore. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a whiff of sweet caramelized sugar as you head into the city; the smell is intoxicating.

Coconut-Almond Macaroons  www.themessybakerblog.com

Coconut and toasted almonds are a match made in heaven. The nuttiness of the coconut is enhanced by the roasted almonds. They’re slightly sweet, but not too sweet. I drizzled them with a small smattering of dark chocolate…because chocolate is always welcome.

The recipe only calls for a 1/4 cup of sugar, which is why I’m calling them semi-healthy… Healthy, say, compared to a slice of cake. If I can get away with it, I will.

Coconut-Almond Macaroons | www.themessybakerblog.com-7688

• 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
  • 1 cup slivered almonds, roasted
  • Dark Chocolate Drizzle
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and salt. Gradually sprinkle in sugar, whisking until thick and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Fold in the shredded coconut and slivered almonds.
  3. Drop rounded tablespoons onto your prepared baking sheet. The batter is a little loose, that’s okay. Bake until the tops of the macaroons are golden brown and the coconut crisps, about 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
  4. Drizzle the completely cooled macaroons with chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Drizzle
  1. Add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is fully melted and smooth.

15 Responses to “Coconut-Almond Macaroons”

[email protected] — June 29, 2013 at 6:30 am

These look SO good :)

shannon — June 29, 2013 at 7:46 am

those look so good! Love that they’re so simple; i mean, i’m all for a complex macaroon (duh) but i’ll take these anyday, especially in the summer. i like the almonds in there especially; a nice little crunch to break up all that coconut.

movita beaucoup — June 29, 2013 at 7:51 am

This is very difficult to talk about, but yesterday… yesterday, I… I RAN OUT OF SUGAR. I was supposed to bake six cakes, and could only bake two. I’ve never run out before. AND I WAS FOUR CAKES SHORT. I actually stood – stunned – in the kitchen for several minutes, pondering what to do. It was one of the most confusing days of my life.

Maybe these macaroons will make me feel better.

CCU — June 29, 2013 at 8:05 am

Perfect macaroon my friend, the chocolate is a perfect touch of course :D

CCU

Baker Bettie — June 29, 2013 at 8:32 am

Those look amazing! Coconut, almonds and dark chocolate. Can’t go wrong with that!

Anita at Hungry Couple — June 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

Because macaroons are flourless, they are the ubiquitous dessert for Passover so I grew up eating them. I love the almond ones best.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — June 29, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh my! These look so scrumptious, Jennie! And I love that Anthro bowl!!! Swoon!!

• Jennie replied June 29th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks, Anna. That is my favorite bowl.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — June 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

These look sooooo good! And I’m all for instant sweet gratification!

• Jennie replied June 29th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Instant gratification is the best! Thanks!

Kate | Food Babbles — June 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Oh my goodness, these look goooood! I love macaroons but I’ve never had almonds in them before. I can imagine just how tasty these little treats are. Gotta make ’em!

Laura Dembowski — July 2, 2013 at 8:45 am

Coconut macaroons are the best! So yummy and easy ti make. Awesome that you live near the Domino plant!

Julia — July 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

Gotta love that Rachel Ray! These macaroons look so tempting! I have flaked coconut in my house right now so all’s I need is the chocolate! BAM! Happy 4th of July!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — July 7, 2013 at 10:36 am

Sigh… My world runs on sugar so I know how you feel, Jennie. I always have a 10 kilo bag of it in my pantry. A scant quarter cup definitely makes this healthier than 99% of the stuff that I make! Your macaroons look so beautiful – I love that you used almonds and chocolate (swoon).

• Jennie replied July 8th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Nancy, I live for sugar. I rules my world. Whether that’s a bad thing, I’m not too sure. What can a gal do? Thank you so much!