Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream is thick, creamy, and supremely decadent. Chocolate ice cream gets swirled with peanut butter sauce and loaded with a generous helping of peanut butter cups.
We have a birthday in the house. #SundaySupper turns one today! I have my party hat and party horn ready. Let’s get this party started.
Happy birthday, #SundaySupper! *Blows party horn*
A year ago today, Isabel of Family Foodie started a mission to bring back Sunday supper around the family table. Isabel’s vision quickly swept the internet, gaining recognition and making an impact amongst the blogging community. Each week, like-minded foodies began gathering around her virtual family table to support her mission and join her on her journey to bring families together.
Today we’re celebrating 52 weeks of recipes that have inspired families to gather around the table and make memories. We’re representing the gathering of family, friends, and food by making a dish from one of our fellow #SundaySupper members.
A birthday isn’t complete without ice cream, right? Exactly! I knew you’d have my back on this one.
Back in October, Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic made this very decadent chocolate fudge brownie ice cream that had me drooling all over my keyboard. I knew I had to make it as soon as I saw that scoop of ice cream loaded with chunks of brownies and fudge. Kim is amazing…for a lunatic. Wink! The girl crafts up some delicious grub. Her lasagna soup–amazeballs! I know because I made it and ate it all. Yup, consumed the entire pot. It was so good. Strings-of-cheese-curling-over-my-lower-lip good.
While I kept the base of the ice cream the same, I decided to change up the add-ins. Since I have a ton of candy left over from Christmas, I decided replace the brownie and fudge chunks with a peanut butter sauce swirl and chopped peanut butter cups. Holy mother of all things chilly, is this ice cream insanely delicious. It’s everything ice cream should be- creamy, decadent, smooth, and rich.
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream is ridiculously easy to make. The recipe doesn’t call for eggs, which eliminates cooking, tempering, and overnight cooling. This method is as close to instant ice cream gratification as you’re going to get, which means less wait time before stuffing ice cream into your face pronto!
Welp, gotta go, because this ice cream is calling my name from the freezer. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Thick chocolate custard swirled with peanut butter sauce and loaded with peanut butter cups.
Chocolate Ice Cream
1 cup cocoa powder
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup whole milk
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup peanut butter cups, chopped
Peanut Butter Sauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup half and half
2 tablespoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and milk. Whisk until sugars dissolve. Add heavy cream and vanilla and whisk until thick and fluffy, about 3 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the mixture is the consistency of pudding.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and transfer the mixture to the bowl of your ice cream maker. Churn for 15 minutes. Add half of the mixture to a bowl. Top with half of the peanut butter sauce and peanut butter cups. Swirl with a knife. Top with remaining ice cream. Swirl in the remaining peanut butter sauce and peanut butter cups. Cover and place in the freezer until completely frozen, about 4 hours.
- Peanut Butter Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter and powdered sugar until combined.
- Add the half and half, milk, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Adapted from Cravings of a LunaticAll images and text © .