Salted Caramel Bourbon Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
I’ve been eating this Salted Caramel Bourbon Fudge Brownie Ice Cream every. single. night. It’s that good!
You guys, I made you ice cream! And not just any ol’ ice cream… Salted Caramel Bourbon Fudge Brownie Ice Cream. The title says it all. Oh mah goodness, is it tasty. Like, damn tasty. This is a batch of ice cream that means business. If you’re not prepared for an ice cream obsession, then I would advise against making it. However, if you’re ready to give in to your cravings all day, every day, churn away, friends!
Can we talk about an embarrassing tidbit of information for a moment? The other day I saw my little brother in the nude. Even worse, he was in the nude while taking a shower. My retinas are scared for life!
The last thing anyone ever wants to witness is a family member taking a shower. It’s a traumatic experience that I don’t wish on even my worst enemy. Here’s how it went down:
I was visiting my parents over the weekend, and I had to use the bathroom. They have a small-ish house with only 1 bathroom. My brother was headed to the bathroom to take a shower. A few moments after he goes into the bathroom, I here the door open. I think to myself, “Hell yeah, I really have to pee. Now’s my chance!” I peek around the corner and see that the bathroom door is, indeed, open. Thinking that he must have forgot something, I decided to pop in real quick.
Immediately upon entrance, I look up and there he is, standing in the shower. I scream and hurriedly turn around and run out of the bathroom as fast as I possibly can, but not before running into the door with my face.
My mom is shouting from the kitchen, wanting to know what the hell I’m screaming about, of course. I’m a naturally loud person, so she doesn’t think much of it. My brother is in the bathroom, oblivious to what just took place. And I’m a babbling mess. “My eyes… Can’t unsee that… Why? So wet…” Gah!
And it’s all the dog’s fault… Yes, the dog! My brother has a very intelligent German Short-Haired Pointer that has figured out how to, not only open the door, but to unlock the door. Gauge likes to go in the bathroom with my brother while he showers. He’s been doing it ever since he was a puppy, so I guess it’s his thing. When I visit, Gauge is usually too excited to be locked in a room. Given the fact that he was out in the kitchen with my mom and me moments earlier, I didn’t give a second thought about him opening the bathroom door.
But, the damage is done and there’s no taking it back. My brother has no idea I saw him naked, and I refuse to tell him. Hopefully he doesn’t read this post.
Lucky for me, this Salted Caramel Bourbon Fudge Brownie Ice Cream was stocked in the freezer for stress-eating purposes and a bottle of bourbon was waiting for me at the bar, ready to shake up a Bourbon Grapefruit Cocktail.
Let’s chat about the making of this epic ice cream combo. While it does take a little bit of effort, it’s completely worth every dirty dish. The salted caramel base is to die for, and it’s all thanks to the generous splash of bourbon.
And then there’s the chewy, fudgy chunks of chocolate brownie pieces and toasted Diamond of California Slivered Almonds that get sprinkled between the layers of ice cream. The balance of texture between the soft brownie pieces and crunchy almonds take the cake…I mean, the ice cream.
Salted Caramel Bourbon Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
Yield: 1 quart
Total Time: 12 hours 10 minutes
Prep Time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 and 2/3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup toasted
- Diamond of California Slivered Almonds1 and 1/2 cup fudge brownie chunks (your favorite recipe)
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese and salt together until smooth.
- In a measuring cup with a spout, whisk together heavy cream and corn syrup.
- Heat the sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden amber in color (see note below). The process happens quickly, so don’t stray to far from the stove. Remove the pan from the heat and, stirring constantly, SLOWLY add a small amount of the heavy cream mixture to the caramel–it will vigorously bubble and spurt, this is normal. Continue to slowly stir in the heavy cream mixture until it’s fully incorporated. A few small chunks of sugar floating around is normal.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat and add the milk. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and allow the mixture to boil for 4 minutes exactly. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cornstarch slurry.
- Return the pot to the heat and bring the mixture back to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract and bourbon. Strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Chill for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Or, if you’re in a hurry, transfer the mixture to a gallon-sized freezer bag and submerge in an ice bath for 30 minutes.
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen bowl of an ice cream maker. Spin until thick and creamy, about 25 minutes. Add a layer of ice cream to the bottom of freezer-safe container with a lid. Sprinkle over a layer of toasted almonds and fudge brownie chunks. Continue to layer until all of the ice cream is transferred over. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Make sure your brownie chunks are completely chilled before adding them to the ice cream base. I recommend making your brownies the day (or a few days) before.
If you like this recipe, pin it to Pinterest!
Disclosure: Thank you to Diamond Nuts for sponsoring this post. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting my site while I work with brands I use in my kitchen.