Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

Super fudgy brownies topped with toasted coconut and sliced almonds. These almond joy brownies are made healthier with coconut oil, dark chocolate, and whole wheat flour.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

Welcome to guilt-free snacking, where extra-fudgy, extremely-chocolate-y brownies aren’t a figment of your imagination.

I made brownies you can feel good about, so leave your guilt and shame at the door because they’re not welcome here.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

I made these brownies last week for my grandfather and proceeded to devour half of the pan all by my lonesome. They’re thick, fudgy, and taste like an almond joy candy bar–only 100x better!

I owe him another batch the next time he’s in town. I stuck an I.O.U. on the bag of brownies before creeping out of the house unnoticed.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

Every time I turned around, another brownie magically appeared in my hand. Once it was in my grip, there was no letting go–brownie after brownie disappeared before my eyes.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

I usually use melted butter in my brownie recipes, but I chose to swap the butter for coconut oil this time.

Best. Decision. Ever.

The coconut oil gives the brownies a subtle coconut flavor. It’s the perfect balance of chocolate and coconut.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

The brownies get topped with shredded coconut and sliced almonds that toast to perfection as the brownies bake. The result is an ooey, gooey delicious mess.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

I highly recommend slicing into them while they’re still warm and gooey.

Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}

Super fudgy brownies topped with toasted coconut and sliced almonds.

Yield: 1 (9-inch) pan

• 3/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8-by-8-inch square pan with parchment that overlaps on each side of the pan. Spray the pan with non-stick baking spray.
  2. In a small pot over low heat, melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate until smooth. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
  3. In a large bowl, add the brown sugar and melted coconut mixutre; whisk until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
  4. Add the flour and salt to the bowl. Whisk until just combined.
  5. Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan.
  6. Combine the shredded coconut and sliced almonds in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter. Gently press the mixture into the batter.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. When the brownies are completely cool, cut them into large squares with a serrated knife. If you’re not worried about perfectly-cut brownie squares, feel free to dig in while they’re still warm.
All images and text ©.

If you like this recipe, then you’ll love these:

Healthier Choco Chip Cookies Healthier Choco Chip Cookies

Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies Skinny Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies

Want more almond joy? Try these recipes:

Amy’s Healthy Baking- Almond Joy Oatmeal Cookies
Oh, Sweet Basil- Almond Joy Protein Shake
Inside BruCrew Life- Almond Joy Energy Bites
Life, Love & Sugar- Almond Joy Pie

20 Responses to “Almond Joy Brownies {made healthier}”

Matea — April 6, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I have to substitute coconut oil for the melted butter next time I make brownies! Such a great (and delicious!) idea! Coconut and chocolate goes together, no questions asked :)

• Jennie replied April 6th, 2015 at 5:39 pm

You’ll love Matea! I agree–chocolate and coconut are the cutest couple ever. Thanks!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — April 6, 2015 at 10:38 pm

These look amazeballs Jennie, and I don’t bust out the amazeballs that often.

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Yes, somebody else who uses the word amazeballs. I knew I liked you, Karen. Thanks so much, girl!

Julia — April 7, 2015 at 9:25 am

Ugh I’m staring at the face of addiction – brownies are my all-time favorite dessert and I love the idea of adding coconut and almonds! Plus, that coconut oil? Pure brilliance! Amazing how that stuff makes brownies so moist and yet it’s a million times better for you than buttaaah! May I please have two handfuls of these so I can double-fist them?!

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Believe me when I tell you that these brownies are highly addictive. I made and gave away the last batch so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the entire pan. I LOVE coconut oil. Best thing to ever hit the market. Thanks!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — April 7, 2015 at 10:50 am

Jennie, YES to all the coconut oil and shredded coconut. . yummmmm . . I LOVE these almond joy brownies!!! they look soooo good!! Pinned!!!! can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Thank you so much, Alice!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 7, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE coconut oil in brownies. And with the coconut? OMG. Best. Brownies. EVER!! Pinned and I want one ASAP.

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Thanks, Dorothy!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 8, 2015 at 6:47 am

Healthier but still delicious: the best kind of recipe!

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:06 pm

My thoughts exactly. Thanks, Laura!

Kate @ Diethood — April 8, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Guilt free snacking… you read my mind and my cravings!!
    GORGEOUS, too!

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I’m always snacking on something, so guilt-free is a must. Thanks!

Kelley @ Chef Savvy — April 8, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Healthy brownies? I’m in!! They look absolutely amazing! I love the combination of chocolate and coconut!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — April 10, 2015 at 4:40 pm

I love the hint of coconut that using coconut oil gives treats!!!  These look amazing!  I puffy heart all the coconut on top too!!!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — April 10, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Oh Jennie, you’re so considerate! You knew I had a wedding to look good for and you made me these brownies! You’re the best :P

• Jennie replied April 11th, 2015 at 6:33 am

I sure did, girl. Eat all the brownies you want.

Michelle — April 13, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Holy smokes! I made these the other day and they are amazing! I don’t want to share with anyone, they’re all mine! I substituted 1/4 cup of the whole-wheat flour 1/4 cup of almond flour. Mine took an extra 15 minutes to bake, But they turned out fantastic!

• Jennie replied April 14th, 2015 at 6:47 am

Woo to the hoo! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe. I love that you added some almond flour–nice move! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.