Lemon Risotto ~ #SundaySupper

Creamy risotto bursting with bright,vibrant lemon.

Lemon Risotto

You probably won’t believe it, but spring is only 5 days away. I’ll wait while you take that in, maybe do a little happy dance.

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to kick winter to the curb. Bring on the sunshine, bright colors, warm air, and vibrant recipes with fresh, seasonal ingredients. I can’t wait for our local farmers’ markets to open their doors again. My cute little market bag is waiting patiently for its escape from the hall closet.

Lemon Risotto

Our largest farmer’s market is located under the 83 bridge in downtown Baltimore. If you’re from the area, you know how amazing the market is. Vendors come from all over: Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland’s Eastern Shore. They offer everything under the sun. You can smell Zeke’s coffee as soon as you pull up under the bridge. They make some of the best coffee around. There’s a pickle vendor (I hit them up every time) that brings barrel upon barrel of various pickles–half sour, full sour, spicy, and the list goes on.

Lemon Risotto

My mom and I try to make it downtown every Sunday we can during the season. We get there as soon as it opens (the place gets crowded and parking is limited) and we always arrive hungry. The place has the best omelet bar; you don’t want to miss it!

This lemon risotto is inspired by the fresh flavors of spring and time spent perusing the downtown farmer’s market for seasonal ingredients with my mama. It just so happens that my mom loves this risotto dish.

Lemon Risotto

Honestly, why wouldn’t she? It’s creamy, loaded with freshly grated parmesan cheese, and bursting with the bright flavor of lemon. It gets topped with fresh lemon zest and an grating of parmesan cheese–you know, for good measure.

Lemon Risotto

This spring-inspired dish pairs perfectly with Gallo Family Vineyards’ Chardonnay. It’s a lighter-bodied blend with hints of citrus and vanilla.

If you prefer red wine, their Merlot is absolutely delicious. It’s not too sweet and not too dry with flavors of black cherry and ripe plum.

Lemon Risotto

Despite what you may have heard, risotto is really quite easy to make. It takes about 30-minutes from start to finish and a lot of stirring. If you can rock a wooden spoon, you can make risotto.

Lemon Risotto

It’s definitely worth the effort. The end result is absolutely delicious. This recipe makes enough for a crowd, so invite your friends and family, pop open a bottle of wine, and enjoy.

Gallo Family Vineyards

Find a Gallo Family Vineyards retailer near you with their store locator. To receive updates, follow Gallo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and You Tube. Visit Gallo’s blog post and the Cooking with Wine Pinterest board for more wine pairing suggestions and recipe inspiration.

Lemon Risotto

Creamy risotto bursting with the bright flavor of lemon.

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 1/3 cup white wine (such as Gallo Family Pinot Grigio)
  • 3 and 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring the chicken stock or vegetable stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic; sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
  3. Add the arborio rice and sauté until nutty and fragrant, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, about 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add the wine to the pan and cook until the wine reduces and absorbs into the rice, about 2 minutes.
  5. Begin ladling in the warm stock, one ladle at a time, stirring frequently. Allow most of the stock to absorb into the rice before adding additional stock. Continue adding stock one ladle at a time until the rice is al dente, but not mushy, about 25-30 minutes.
  6. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with extra lemon zest and grated fresh parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Savory Recipes:

Sweet Recipes:

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest628Share on Facebook8Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

23 Responses to “Lemon Risotto ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee — March 15, 2015 at 4:50 am

What a lovely dish and a great way to brighten up risotto with citrus.

Liz — March 15, 2015 at 6:45 am

What a lovely way to usher in springtime! I know my family would go nuts for your lemon risotto!

Nichole — March 15, 2015 at 7:43 am

This market with an omelet bar (say what?!) sounds like the perfect Spring tradition! I also love love love risotto!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — March 15, 2015 at 10:20 am

This risotto looks so refreshing…it would be great pair with grilled shrimp and some asparagus!

Family Foodie — March 15, 2015 at 10:51 am

This risotto is the bomb!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 15, 2015 at 11:59 am

Your risotto looks so light and refreshing! I love it!

Valerie Cathell Clark — March 15, 2015 at 4:58 pm

This is such a beautiful, clean dish! Perfect for spring! I love risotto and I love lemon!

Alida — March 15, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Your risotto looks so bright and delicious!

Kerri — March 15, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I can’t wait for the Farmer’s Market to open! We always get there as soon as it opens, too, even though I hate getting that up early on the weekend — but worth it.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — March 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I have to make this dish, and I have to check out that market. Doubt I’ll make it to Baltimore every week, but maybe a few times this summer!

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — March 16, 2015 at 10:16 am

I love the fact that you and your Mom share that time together at the Farmer’s Market. And I love this risotto WOW I can just imagine how wonderful it tastes!!

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch — March 16, 2015 at 10:43 am

I love the bright fresh flavors in your Risotto! Delicious!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — March 16, 2015 at 11:07 am

Well, you KNOW I’m drooling over this, girl. This would be so perfect served with fish or shrimp. It reminds me that I haven’t made risotto in far too long, and there is a giant jar of Arborio burning a hole in my cupboard.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — March 16, 2015 at 11:16 am

I am sooo with you. I am too ready to kick winter to the curb. And I adore risotto, like adore. I just love this bright and sunny take on it!

Shaina — March 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I love risotto. What a great way to add such bright flavor to the dish by adding lemon. Yum!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — March 16, 2015 at 2:49 pm

How bright and lively does THAT look! Fantastic dish!

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic — March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm

This Risotto is calling my name!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — March 17, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Uhhmmm I want this risotto all up in my business. Give me a heaping pile of risotto and a glass of wine and call it dinner YEP!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 18, 2015 at 6:42 am

GAH, I am so happy for both spring and for this recipe! I love risotto…and then you added wine and cheese. Which, makes you a flavah GENIUS! Pinned!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — March 19, 2015 at 5:13 pm

I can never get enough risotto and I love that wine AND lemon…so I think this is the perfect dinner!

shannon — March 20, 2015 at 11:09 am

Mr. Table knows that it’s spring around here when he starts to smell lemons…like all the time, lemons. lemons in desserts. lemons in water. lemons….in risotto! that’s like my favorite thing, Jennie: i LOVE me some lemony risotto. *high fives

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 23, 2015 at 7:28 am

I LOVE this. The fresh lemon with the creamy risotto is such a perfect spring combination.