Healthy Mocha Donuts with Dark Chocolate Mocha Glaze

Rich, chocolate-y donuts with a hint of coffee flavor and dark chocolate mocha glaze.

Healthy Mocha Donuts with Mocha Glaze

Happy Monday, folks! I realize Monday is the least favorite day of them all, and I’m willing to bet that most of us probably had a hell of a time rolling out of bed this morning. Good news… I’m here to make your Monday a wee bit better with donuts.

Healthy donuts.

I have a fierce, unwavering obsession with donuts. It’s almost impossible to eat just one. Let me rephrase that: it is absolutely impossible to eat just one.

Healthy Mocha Donuts with Mocha Glaze

They’re like cookies. I stack them three deep and begin the very strategic method of stock-piling donuts into my cheeks like a chipmunk.

Given my obsession for donuts, I felt compelled to create a healthy version so I could continue the tradition of eating three donuts in one sitting.

These healthy mocha donuts with dark chocolate mocha glaze are dad tested and baker approved. My dad is also a donut fanatic. Here’s a fun fact: The guy purchases a family-size bag of mini chocolate dipped donuts every other day. And, he doesn’t share.

Healthy Mocha Donuts with Mocha Glaze

Despite his refusal to share his donuts, I decided to be the bigger person and share my homemade version with him. I sent him a picture of the finished product last week, and he quickly responded with, “Where’s the peanuts?”

Not, “Thank you” or “You’re the best!”

Being the generous daughter I am, I over looked this little discrepancy and added a sprinkle of chopped peanuts to a few of the donuts. Guess who showed up at my door later that afternoon with his to-go bag?

This isn’t your average donut recipe. These donuts are healthy but still taste rich and decadent–like you’re biting into a piece of moist chocolate cake. In order to achieve a healthier donut that is still rich in flavor, I used my go-to ingredients: coconut oil, Greek yogurt, whole wheat flour, and almond milk.

Healthy Mocha Donuts with Mocha Glaze

These donuts are undeniably chocolate-y, extremely moist, and perfectly sweet. The dark chocolate glaze is just another reason you’ll fall in love with these healthy mocha donuts.

Healthy Mocha Donuts with Dark Chocolate Mocha Glaze

Rich, cake-y donuts with hints of coffee and a thick dark chocolate mocha glaze.

Yield: 8 donuts

• 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee

Glaze:

• 3/4 cup dark chocolate
  • 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee

Donuts:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-cup donut pan with non-stick baking spray.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, add both sugars, butter, and coconut oil. Whisk until smooth. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and Greek yogurt. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the milk and a coffee until smooth.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined.
  5. Fill a large zip-close bag with the donut batter. Snip one corner of the bag off with scissors. Pipe batter into each donut mold, filling it 3/4 full.
  6. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove the donuts and allow them to cool completely.
  7. Once the donuts are cool, dip them in the chocolate glaze. Serve immediately or allow the donuts to sit at room-temperature until the glaze is no longer tacky and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Glaze: Add the chocolate and coffee to a heat-proof bowl. Melt over a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth and creamy.

Baking tools I used to make this recipe:

• Donut pan
• Mixing bowl
• Whisk
• Espresso Powder
• Coconut Oil

If you like this recipe, then you’ll love these:

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts

Cold Brewed Coffee Tutorial Cold Brewed Coffee

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest1.2kShare on Facebook15Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

29 Responses to “Healthy Mocha Donuts with Dark Chocolate Mocha Glaze”

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 16, 2015 at 8:56 am

GENIUS-I love all the healthy swaps and how incredibly chocolatey and delicious these donuts look!

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 7:59 am

Thanks, Kayle!

Julia — February 16, 2015 at 10:09 am

Your pop sounds like a hoot! My dad’s all about the bear claws…he starts his every morning with a bear claw and a glass of chocolate milk. I need to come up with a healthy bear claw recipe to replace this obsession of his, ha!

Your donuts. There’s just no way I’d be able to stop at one either. And I’d totes be fine with that considering these bad boys are healthy. Gimme alll the chocolate!!!!

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:01 am

Your dad clearly knows what’s up. Bear claws are the best! In my world, a healthier donut is totally healthy :)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — February 16, 2015 at 10:30 am

I keep staring at these and wonder how in the world these could be healthy! They look fantastic. I also love that you used coconut oil in them.

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:01 am

Thanks, Jocelyn!

Nicole - Coking for Keeps — February 16, 2015 at 11:38 am

That glaze!!! So shiny and chocolatey and and and I want it now!

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:02 am

That glaze is pure chocolate bliss. Thanks, Nicole.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — February 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

These donuts are definitely a great way to start off a Monday! Love the look of that dark chocolate mocha glaze!

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:02 am

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks, Jess!

marla — February 16, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Pinned these beauties to a few boards!!! Craving now :)

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:02 am

You are the sweetest. Thank you so much, Marla.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 16, 2015 at 2:45 pm

You had me at healthy, chocolate and donut all in the same sentence. LOOOOVE.

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:03 am

Is is the best sentence, isn’t it? Thanks so much, Steph!

Linda | Brunch with Joy — February 16, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Jennie, these donuts are amazing! Can I get a dozen of these please :)

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:03 am

Anything for you, lady. Thanks so much!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — February 16, 2015 at 7:33 pm

When I looked at these I immediately tasted the ones from my childhood doughnut store. Oh my gosh, they’re perfect!! Pinned!

• Jennie replied February 17th, 2015 at 8:03 am

Childhood donuts are the best. Thanks so much for the pin, Dorothy.

Jessica the Baker — February 16, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hi Jennie,

I saw these on Pinterest and hopped over to check them out. I love mocha, and these look so good! I also know from experience that it really is impossible to eat just one donut. :)

I blog at: https://jessicathebaker.wordpress.com/

Jennie — February 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, it is absolutely impossible. Thanks for the pin.

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — February 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a donut pan for YEARS now, and I think this post just put me over the edge. And I agree – I would absolutely eat like three of these. No shame.

shannon — February 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

i’d like to step back and take a minute to appreciate that we live in a world where you can say “healthy” and “donuts” in the same sentence.

it’s a beautiful thing, isn’t it? it is.

Matea — February 18, 2015 at 10:04 am

When I first saw these donuts, I thought to myself, “How can these be healthy??” But they are! Love it! :)

mymansbelly — February 20, 2015 at 10:19 am

Healthy? and doughnuts together? Sign me up! These actually look totally sinful…which makes the healthy part that much better.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — February 20, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I’m loving the mental picture I’m getting of you stuffing your cheeks full of donuts! I’d do the same thing if I had these dark, glossy, gorgeous donuts in front of me! Healthifying them means that three equals one traditional donut, don’t you agree?

Wendy — May 6, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Do you think you could use coconut milk instead of almond milk? It is impossible to find almond milk without a bunch of stuff added.

• Jennie replied May 6th, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Hi Wendy!

Coconut milk is a great substitute. Let me know how they turn out. Happy baking!

Emma — October 24, 2015 at 8:25 pm

These pictures look absolutely gorgeous and I want to eat all of them now!

Baking recipe — February 1, 2016 at 4:31 pm

They are looking really yummy!Great recipe for kids too.