Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

Pan-seared mahi mahi topped with roasted tomatoes and fennel.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so I decided to make you love birds a romantic meal for two. This mahi mahi with roasted tomatoes and fennel is the perfect way to celebrate your love and all things mushy.

Today, I’ve partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards to make the occasion even more special with the addition of wine. As we all know, Valentine’s Day is all about proclaiming your unwavering love to each other. In order to perform a proper toast, one must have a glass of wine.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

I prefer a crisp glass of white wine when I’m serving fish. Gallo Family Vineyards’ Riesling is the perfect accompaniment to this dish. Their Riesling is crisp and semi-sweet with hints of honeysuckle, peach, and bright citrus notes. It enhances to dish perfectly and helps balance the spice of the roasted tomato and fennel sauce.

If you prefer red wine, Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sweet Red is a great alternative. It’s bursting with flavors of red fruit, black cherry, and raspberry. It’s fruity acidity and soft finish make this sweet red variety easy to enjoy.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

When I make fish, I prefer a fish that isn’t too “fishy.” I know that sounds strange since, well, it’s fish, but I prefer a more milder fish with a clean finish. I keep a big bag of mahi mahi stocked in my freezer for whenever the mood strikes, which is usually once a week. It cooks up nice in the pan or on the grill without falling apart. It’s a meatier fish that can stand up to higher heat better than, say, flounder or orange roughy.

The spicy tomato topping is made with roasted grape tomatoes, fennel, a little Pinot Grigio, fresh basil, and some spicy red pepper flakes.

For this recipe, I rubbed each side of the mahi mahi fillets with a little ground cumin and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. The cumin adds a subtle smoky flavor and beautiful crust to the fish.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

I sear the fish over medium heat with a little olive oil until the fillets are tender and begin to flake. After I remove the fish, I begin to compose my sauce in the same pan.

This dish is elegant, delicious, and extremely easy to make. If you’re a new cook looking to make Valentine’s Day special for your sweetie, this recipe comes together with very little effort.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

This dish will impress the pants off of your sweetie!

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel

Cumin-rubbed mahi mahi gets pan seared and topped with a spicy mixture of roasted tomatoes, crisp fennel, and Pinot Grigio.

Yield: 2 servings

• salt and pepper

Roasted Tomatoes:

• 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper

Roasted Tomatoes:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Spread tomatoes onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Roll the tomatoes around to coat.
  3. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tomatoes are wilted.

Mahi Mahi:

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Season the fish with a generous pinch of salt and pepper on each side. Rub 1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin on each side of the mahi mahi. Add the fish to the hot pan. Cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the fennel to the pan and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
  3. Stir in the wine. Allow the wine to reduce by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil and roasted tomatoes.
  4. Plate the fish. Spoon a generous amount of the roasted tomato mixture over each piece of fish. Serve over rice or couscous.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest390Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

28 Responses to “Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel”

Liz — February 8, 2015 at 5:34 am

What an exquisite entree! I love the spicy sauce atop the mahi mahi–such a lovely combination!!!

Renee — February 8, 2015 at 6:14 am

I’m pretty sure I could eat this at least 3 times a week.

Cindys Recipes and Writings — February 8, 2015 at 9:21 am

This is on my must make list! I love fennel!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — February 8, 2015 at 11:08 am

We both posted romantic recipes with wine today! BRAIN TWINS!
    I ADORE Mahi Mahi, and just discovered the yum that is roasted tomatoes, so I am all about this! Pinned!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 8, 2015 at 11:08 am

What a fabulous light dinner! I just love it!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — February 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm

This looks fantastic, Jennie! Perfect for Valentine’s Day. Or just for me! :-)

susan @ the wimpy vegetarian — February 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I do eat fish, so this is a wonderful dinner for me!!! Love the combination of fennel, tomatoes, and the mahi-mahi.

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic — February 8, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I love the flavor combination going on. What an amazing dinner!

Alida — February 8, 2015 at 8:40 pm

This looks absolutely gorgeous….and very tasty!!

Linda | Brunch with Joy — February 8, 2015 at 11:40 pm

This mahi mahi sounds a lovely treat for the two of us since we both love fish. I’ve never tried cooking mahi mahi before but would love to try this one.

Carolyn — February 9, 2015 at 9:14 am

Wow those roasted tomatoes and fennel look divine!

Nichole — February 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

I am with you, I like fish that isn’t too fishy. I love roasted tomatoes and can only imagine how delish this dish is!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 9, 2015 at 10:04 am

I just want to dive into this dish!! A few weeks ago I tried a new fish recipe and my son said “this tastes like an aquarium”. Clearly he wants fish that doesn’t taste like fish, LOL

Julia — February 9, 2015 at 11:10 am

I can always go for a delicious fish dish and a heavy pour of wine! My mouth’s watering over this mahi mahi!

Family Foodie — February 9, 2015 at 11:58 am

This is my kind of meal! Paired perfectly with one of my favorites – Gallo Riesling.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — February 9, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I don’t like fishy fish either, so you may have convinced me to try mahi mahi!

Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook — February 9, 2015 at 10:16 pm

This fish dish looks delish! (Sorry, I’ve been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss…)

Laura Dembowski — February 10, 2015 at 8:39 am

I’m fish obsessed! Love mahi and this unique way to prepare it.

• Lori @ RecipeGirl replied February 10th, 2015 at 1:28 pm

This is my kind of dinner! Love the roasted tomatoes, so delicious!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — February 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I love all the flavors in this dish and how EASY it seems! My husband is always begging me to make him fish and now that my baby doesn’t give me time to cook, I’m always looking for easy recipes. Now I just have to find time to get to the supermarket….it would be such a perfect Valentine’s meal for him :)

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch — February 10, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Such a gorgeous dish! I love everything about it!

Carolyn — February 11, 2015 at 9:27 am

This whole recipe is fantastic. Love the roasted tomatoes and fennel!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — February 11, 2015 at 11:22 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! I need to make it for a date night with my Hubby! He will love it!

Lee Ann — February 11, 2015 at 8:02 pm

I just made this dish tonight. I don’t like fennel so I didn’t use it. This is so good. The tomatoes are tender and burst. My husband ate the fish without cocktail sauce on it. He puts that stuff on any fish he has. This will be made again.

Deborah — February 12, 2015 at 11:11 pm

I love that fish is so simple to prepare, yet it looks so special. This is gorgeous!

Carla — February 15, 2015 at 9:34 am

I’m a huge seafood lover, but usually I just buy shrimp and not really explore the different types of fish. This mahi mahi looks so good to eat on a really cold day like today.

Gina — February 15, 2015 at 11:42 pm

that wine sounds like it’d go perfectly with this fish. Loving the preparation on the mahi mahi, might have to steal that for some other white fish as well :)