Black Cherry Cuba Libre

A refreshing blend of cola, black cherry rum, and maraschino cherries. Basically, it’s an adult cherry coke, and it’s delicious.

Black Cherry Cuba Libre Cocktail {aka Adult Cherry Coke}

I made you an adult beverage. A sweet, bubbly, cherry-flavored adult beverage.

How are you celebrating Valentine’s Day this year? Squirrel and I will probably spend the evening cruising the isles of Costco. There’s nothing more romantic than filling your cart with various cuts of beef, pork, and poultry. Honestly, it’s my husband’s ideal date. Any time he gets to purchase meat, is a good day.

Sure, we could go out for a fancy dinner, but I’d rather spend the evening eating a home-cooked meal and hand-shaken cocktails that doesn’t cause us to break the bank.

Black Cherry Cuba Libre Cocktail {aka Adult Cherry Coke}

I have a mild obsession–okay, that’s putting it lightly–obsession with Coke. And, it has to be Coke. Not Pepsi. Not generic cola.

Coke.

I rarely bring it in the house because I lack any and all self control when it’s within arm’s reach. The other day I found it on sale, so I bought the entire lot.

Black Cherry Cuba Libre Cocktail {aka Adult Cherry Coke}

Black Cherry Cuba Libre Cocktail {aka Adult Cherry Coke}

My second favorite carbonated beverage is Cherry Coke. The movie theater has the best Cherry Coke, but I’ll take what I can get. This black cherry cuba libre tastes just like you’re sipping on a Cherry Coke. It’s sweet, bubbly, and bursting with cherry flavor.

Warning: You can’t taste the alcohol in this adult beverage. Trust me, it’s there.

Black Cherry Cuba Libre Cocktail {aka Adult Cherry Coke}

If you want to impress your sweetie this Valentine’s Day, this swanked-out cuba libre is the perfect choice.

Black Cherry Cuba Libre

Yield: 2 cocktails

• 2 ounces black cherry rum
  • 8 maraschino cherries
  • 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
  • 1 (8-ounce) can cola (I prefer Coke)

1. Fill two glasses with ice. Add 1 ounce of black cherry rum, 4 cherries, and 1 teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice to each glass.
  2. Pour 4 ounces of cola into each glass. Stir to combine.

If you make any of my recipes, I want to know! Snap a photo and use the hashtag #MessyBakerBlog and tag me @themessybaker on instagram.

All images and text ©.

11 Responses to “Black Cherry Cuba Libre”

movita beaucoup — February 3, 2015 at 6:57 am

We are basically FROZEN INTO OUR HOUSE THIS MORNING. Frozen. Two inches of ice over everything. This drink gives me hope. Rum-infused hope.

Laura Dembowski — February 3, 2015 at 8:44 am

I actually like a nice night out since I’m always home cooking. But Valentine’s Day is so not the night to go out. Too many people, bad food, bad service. It’s like New Year’s Eve.

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — February 3, 2015 at 9:20 am

I try not to drink soda very often (most the time I’d rather eat my calories), but every once in a while I HAVE TO HAVE either a regular coke or cherry coke, and like you, it has to be coke, no pepsi, no off brand, just coke. And I’ve got to try this grown up version!

Julia — February 3, 2015 at 11:00 am

I LOL-ed when I read the title of this post, because the Cuba Libre is the exact way I got through college, ha! Although I never did try the black cherry route, and that sounds absolutely fabulous! Definitely a winning cocktail for VDay or any dern day of the week!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 3, 2015 at 11:30 am

Awesome..black cherry rum sound amazing too :)

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — February 3, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I love the lids on those jars Jennie!! Beautiful photos!

Connie — February 3, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Oh man, this drink sounds delicious, and right up my alley. Bonus points for being simple–no blender, salt/sugar rimming and no juicing fresh fruits. Like you, I am a Coca Cola girl, too. No generic colas for me…not even Pepsi.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 3, 2015 at 6:06 pm

1-you prob. MUST have coke because they still use small amounts of the cocoa plant (true story) :P
    2-omg Michael would die over this, its everything he wants in a drink!

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — February 3, 2015 at 10:21 pm

There’s a whole lotta fun in that drink!

Senika @ Foodie Blog Stalker — February 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Cherry coke is my all-time FAV! I’m excited/scared to try this drink because it may cause a little mayhem ;-)

Stephanie — February 15, 2015 at 4:39 pm

I don’t drink much, but this looks like something I need in my life! Question- is black cherry rum hard to find?