Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tutorial

Buttermilk soaked chicken gets dipped in seasoned flour and fried to perfection. You’ll need at least two pieces.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tutorial | www.themessybakerblog.com

Is it just me, or is frying food a pain in the booty?

Why do we even bother? I’ll tell you why… Because it’s damn delicious and worth every effort. Sure my hair smells like fried food for a week, I have to strain and store the oil, clean up grease splatters, and open all the windows to air out the house, but there’s no way I’m prepared to give up fried chicken.

So we fry!

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tutorial | www.themessybakerblog.com

Honestly, who would want to live in world without fried food? No, sir, not me. There is nothing better than food that has been dipped in a seasoned coating and fried until crispy. That salty, crispy, juicy combo is irreplaceable. And, it absolutely screams comfort.

So, I made you buttermilk fried chicken. It’s crispy, juicy, and seasoned just right. Best of all, it’s deep fried!

This particular fried chicken recipe is made using tangy buttermilk. In my opinion, it’s the only way to make fried chicken. I soak chicken thighs and drumsticks in a hot sauce infused buttermilk mixture over night. The next day, I coat the chicken in seasoned flour and fry until each piece is golden brown and crispy.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tutorial | www.themessybakerblog.com

The skin is extra crispy and the inside is supremely juicy. One piece just won’t cut it. Grab the paper plates (this isn’t fancy), extra napkins, and bottle of your favorite hot sauce, and let’s eat!

If you have leftover chicken–a big IF–it tastes great cold the next day for lunch.

My buttermilk fried chicken tutorial is being featured over at allrecipes today. Head on over to get the recipe, along with step-by-step instructions and chicken-frying tips. You don’t want to miss it!

If you like this recipe, check out this  Soy Glazed Chicken or these Chipotle Chicken Tacos–both make for an easy weeknight meal.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Allrecipes. The opinions and text are all mine.

12 Responses to “Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tutorial”

[email protected] — November 13, 2014 at 8:23 am

Oh yes…the reward of ‘damn delicious’ chicken makes the pain of frying all worth it!! I am drooling!

• Jennie replied November 13th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Yes it does! Thanks, Annie.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — November 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Girl this fried chicken looks beyond delicious!

• Jennie replied November 13th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Thank you so much, Jocelyn!

Julia — November 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I haven’t done much frying in my day but I definitely love a good crispy hunk of deep fried chicken. Heading to allrecipes now to get your tutorial!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — November 13, 2014 at 1:40 pm

YUM Jennie. I have to admit I’m not the best chicken frier. I need these tips!!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — November 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I still haven’t tried making fried chicken, but your tutorial makes me more willing to finally go ahead and try it!

Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — November 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I hate using the deep fryer – but have never tried making my own fried chicken. This chicken looks pretty amazing though, so I may need to dust off the deep fryer! :)

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — November 14, 2014 at 8:53 am

And now all I want is fried chicken for breakfast! Awesome tutorial on allrecipes!! Pinned :)

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — November 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Frying food is such a pain, but there is nothing quite as delicious!

Mary Frances — November 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

Frying things IS a pain. I’ve never made it at home, I’ve always just bought it :) I’m thinking it would be very worth the greasy chicken fried hair for a week! What a fantastic-no-fear- tutorial and the buttermilk version sounds incredible!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — November 17, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Jennie….when are you coming over and making me fried chicken? Tomorrow?

Ok, tomorrow.