Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars

Rich, gooey butterscotch apple crumb bars made with crisp fall apples.

Easy Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.com

I’m officially self-employed full-time.

Squirrel, of course, loves that I’m home full-time. “Hey, now that you don’t have to work…”

“Um, excuse me, I work. Sure, I work from home, but I still work. Geez, you make me sound like a bon bon-eating, soap-operea-watching freeloader.”

“I only meant that you don’t have to go to work.”

“Right. And, I still go to work. I get out of bed and walk downstairs–that’s going to work.”

“I don’t think staying in your pajamas all day constitutes as ‘going to work.'”

Fall Apples | www.themessybakerblog.com

Do you see what I’m dealing with? Palm to face, you guys.

Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.comWhat he meant to say was that he likes the fact that he now gets to come home to gourmet pan-fried fish lunches, hot meals for dinner at a reasonable hour and not at 9 o’clock at night. The man can cook, but it’s minimal and my food always tastes better.

Sweet, Gooey Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars | www.themessybakerblog.com

Of course, I love working from home. Squirrel did make a valid point–I get to work in my pjs. Not gonna lie, it’s the best. I also like not having to sit in Baltimore traffic. If you’re from the Baltimore-Washington area, you know what I’m talking about. That kind of traffic had me wanting to run other cars over.

Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars made from scratch | www.themessybakerblog.com

Overall, it’s a good deal. Sure, I’m nervous, but you won’t know if something is a good fit until you give it a shot, so here I am, giving it a shot.

What do you get out of the deal? More cookies, cocktails, salads, and pie. Honestly, this kitchen needs more pie.

Fall Apples | www.themessybakerblog.com

While this recipe isn’t exactly what you would call pie, it is pie-like. The rich, gooey center is made up of fresh apples and butterscotch chips. After 35 minutes in the oven, the crisp apples soften and sweeten, and the butterscotch chips melt to gooey perfection.

The soft center paired with the crunchy pecan-oat crunch is absolutely glorious.

The crust resembles your classic shortbread, only nuttier and overall better. I used a mixture of old-fashioned oats, coarse pecan flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and vanilla extract. The crust bakes up golden brown, perfectly crisp, and buttery.

Homemade Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars | www.themessybakerblog.com

I really feel like these bars are better than pie. They’re portable pie squares that can be devoured on the go. If you want to make these bars extra special, warm a large hunk in the microwave and top it with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and maybe a drizzle of caramel. Oh. Mah. Goodness.

Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars

Thick, buttery oat squares stuffed with fresh apples and butterscotch chips. These pie-like bars are easy to make and portable on-the-go snacks.

Yield: 1 (8-by-8-inch) square pan

• 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup pecan flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8-inch-by-8-inch square pan with parchment.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, pecan flour, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Stir to combine.
  3. Stir in melted butter and vanilla extract until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
  5. Top evenly with the apples and butterscotch chips.
  6. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the apples.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and apples are tender.
  8. Cool completely in the pan. Remove and cut into squares. Store the cooled squares in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
All images and text ©.

23 Responses to “Butterscotch Apple Crumb Bars”

Laura | Fork Knife Swoon — October 29, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I have had that very same conversation with my husband… Work in yoga/pajama pants totally still counts! I probably work longer hours because there isn’t that same office/home separation, but… getting to work (and do what we love) in pajamas is pretty much the best… :)

These apple crumb bars look incredible. I’ve made some similar bars with caramel, but I love that you used butterscotch chips – so yummy and so much easier!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:55 am

Totally! I have a hard time separating work from play now that I work from home, too. You’ll find me sitting in my office into the wee hours of the night. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — October 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Those look delicious! Portable pie is always a good thing! :)

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:55 am

The world could really use more portable pie. Thanks, Stacey!

Ashley — October 29, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I didn’t realize you were near Baltimore! We lived in DC for a longgg time and that traffic made me want to stab myself in the eye. Commuting to work was such a nightmare! haha

But on a happier note these sound amazing!!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:56 am

DC traffic is even worse than B-more traffic. Yes, stabbing yourself in the eye with a knife entered my brain a time or two while I was sitting on the beltway. Thanks!

Mary Frances — October 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm

What a gorgeous snack!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:56 am

Thank you, Mary Frances.

Amallia @DesireToEat — October 29, 2014 at 7:01 pm

This apple crumb bars look so yummy. I should try it soon :-)

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thanks, Amallia. They’re really good–gooey, crunchy, and sweet.

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — October 29, 2014 at 9:25 pm

YAY! Welcome to full time blogging, it’s SO GREAT! However I always have the same convo with the husband. “why can’t you go out every single day. I mean you’re at home?!”
    I STILL WORK. GAH.
    I’ll just shove these gorgeous bars in his face. That’ll shut him up. Pinned!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:59 am

No one gets it around here either. The other day my mom asked me to go shoe shopping for my dad. You know, since I was off. I think I may need to start shoving bars into the faces of my loved ones, too. Thanks, Taylor!

Choc Chip Uru — October 30, 2014 at 6:48 am

Wow autumn in every single bite :D
    Delicious bars!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks, Uru!

Laura Dembowski — October 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

These look beyond amazing. Guys just don’t get the work from home thing. I get up at 8 and sit down at 8 or 9 for a little TV … totally exhausted. It’s hard out there for us work at home ladies!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks, Laura! It’s hard knock life, Laura. I totally get it. Let’s eat pie bars!

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — October 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Why is it the men just don’t get it. Yes I now have an extensive wardrobe of yoga pants and sweats, but hey…it is cheaper!!

I love these bars!! I would hoard the whole pan to myself!!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 10:00 am

They never will, Bobbi. You should see my closet. It’s full of stretchy pants. Now that I’m spoiled, I hate putting on a pair of jeans. So constricting. Thanks for stopping by!

Julia @ Sprinkled With Jules — November 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on the switch to full-time blogging! How exciting! These bars sound awesome. I love that they are portable!

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Thanks, Julia!

THE HUNGRY MUM — November 4, 2014 at 6:38 am

Pinning! I actually have all these items in my pantry #winning

• Jennie replied November 4th, 2014 at 10:01 am

You are #winning, Hungry Mum! Let me know how you like them.

Kaley — October 31, 2016 at 11:45 am

Thanks for this amazing recipe! I can’t wait to try it out. One question–can I sub all-purpose flour for the pecan flour? Or is there another alternative? Trying to work around an allergy :)