Bloody Mary Potatoes ~ #SundaySupper

Oven-roasted potatoes drizzled with a spicy Bloody Mary reduction.

Bloody Mary Potatoes Side Dish Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.com

Halloween is exactly 1 month and 3 days away. I’m slowly seeing creepy decorations make their way to neighboring front porches.

I may have been a bit excited and started decorating for fall September 1st. You see, fall is my very favorite season…ever! The air is cool, and it smells crisp with a hint of bonfire smoke in the evening. Speaking of bonfires, fall is officially bonfire season. Maybe there’s nothing specific marked on the calendar, but I’ve decided to deem fall bonfire season.

Let’s not forget about apples, pumpkins, and squash. I pretty much live off of those three things during the fall season.

Bloody Mary Potatoes are the perfect Halloween side dish | www.themessybakerblog.com

This week, the #SundaySupper team is adding a fourth produce item to the fall produce list: potatoes. Oh, and not just any potatoes. We’re talkin’ Idaho® potatoes. I don’t know about you, but whenever I think about the geographic location of potatoes, my thoughts head straight to Idaho. It’s the potato capital of the world!

FINAL TM LOGO

The #SundaySupper crew is on a mission to spookify Idaho® potatoes. I can’t think of anything spookier than blood, so I decided to make Bloody Mary potatoes for the occasion. When I was a kid we would scare ourselves crazy standing in front of the mirror in the dark chanting Bloody Mary over and over again in hopes that she would appear in the mirror. Obviously, she never appeared, but it was the “what if” that scared our pants off.

Bloody Mary Potatoes | www.themessybakerblog.com

I quartered a bag of Idaho® baby potatoes. I place the potatoes in a large bowl and drizzled them with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. To give the potatoes some flavor, I sprinkled them with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. I roasted the potatoes at 400 degrees F. until they became golden and crispy on the outside.

It’s hard to keep my fork out of  a bowl of perfectly roasted potatoes–they’re absolutely addictive! The crunch of the golden, crispy potato skin breaks open to reveal a creamy center.

After the potatoes come out of the oven, they get drizzled with the Bloody Mary reduction. If you love the classic Bloody Mary cocktail, then you’ll love this sauce–it tastes just like the cocktail, only thicker.

Bloody Mary Potatoes | Roasted potatoes drizzled with a Bloody Mary Reduction | www.themessybakerblog.com

The sauce is mildly sweet, tangy, and extra spicy. If you don’t like a lot of spice, reduce the amount of horseradish.

Halloween-Inspired Bloody Mary Potatoes | www.themessybakerblog.com

For more potato inspiration and recipes, follow Idaho® potatoes on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.

Bloody Mary Potatoes

Oven-roasted potatoes drizzled with a spicy Bloody Mary reduction.

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 and 1/2 teaspoons horseradish
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 5 dashes hot sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Potatoes:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Add quartered potatoes, olive oil, and spices to a large bowl. Stir to combine.

Transfer potatoes to your prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly. Bake, flipping the potatoes every 10 minutes so they crisp up evenly on all sides, for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.

Bloody Mary Reduction:

While the potatoes are roasting, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and diced onion; cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together V8 juice, cornstarch, horseradish, ketchup, celery seed, smoked paprika, lemon juice, and hot sauce until combined.

Add the V8 mixture to the saucepan with the garlic and onion. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens and reduces by almost half, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Drizzle the Bloody Mary reduction over the roasted potatoes. Top with chopped parsley.

Check out the other spooky #SundaySupper Idaho® potato recipes:

Fun and Spooky Potato Savory Bites:

Fun and Spooky Potato Sweet Treats:

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission. All opinions are my own.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest189Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

22 Responses to “Bloody Mary Potatoes ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee — September 28, 2014 at 6:02 am

Love the story of when you were a kid standing in front of the mirror and calling out to Bloody Mary and love these potatoes too. Yum!

Alida — September 28, 2014 at 6:47 am

Fall is my favorite season too, and I love all of your Halloween decor. And your potatoes too…they look fantastic!

Liz — September 28, 2014 at 6:56 am

Oh, boy, would my family love these potatoes!! And isn’t it funny what we did as children??? Cute story!

Cindys Recipes and Writings — September 28, 2014 at 9:19 am

These potatoes sound so good I’m not waiting until Halloween to make them!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 28, 2014 at 9:22 am

Ha Ha I love it!! What a great idea and so perfect for a party!

Amy Kim — September 28, 2014 at 11:02 am

Fall is my favorite season too! The Bloody Mary sauce sounds soooo good! Okay, that sounded a little creepy….

susan @ the wimpy vegetarian — September 28, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Fall is absolutely my favorite season! I love everything about it. Your photos are gorgeous and I love all the Halloween accessories. And your Bloody Mary sauce sounds fantastic!

Kimberly — September 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

omg … before I even get to the potatoes, I just have to say that is the PERFECT dish to serve these in! Adorable!

And those potatoes? OH MY … YES! They look and sound absolutely delicious! Pinning now!

Ashley — September 28, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Yup, I definitely pulled out my fall decorations September 1st this year. I couldn’t help myself – it’s my favorite season!

And these potatoes are so fun!! I love it!

Shaina — September 28, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I used to do that Bloody Mary thing in the mirror too and I would be so freaked out every time! Your potatoes sound yummy and look awesome too. That tomb serving dish is super cool!

Mary Frances — September 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

You went all out with the decorations! I’m guilty too, I walk around the house and grab home décor to use in photo shoots … :)
    I am a huge potato gal, basically, if it has potatoes, I’m on board, I really like the horseradish in this recipe! These are anything but boring!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — September 28, 2014 at 4:35 pm

These sound delicious AND look amazing. I love the little coffin!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — September 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Fall is my favorite too. And even though I don’t like scary things, I think I can handle these potatoes….ha ha ha! They look delicious!

Katie — September 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Not only do these sound absolutely delicious, they look super creepy – I love your presentation!

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — September 28, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I remember doing that as a kid too! Scared the bejeebers out of me! I am in love with these potatoes, that sauce sounds devilishly good!

Family Foodie — September 28, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Jennie, these are perfect for an adult Halloween cocktail party … one with real Bloody Marys too! Kids who really like spice will like them too. Very creative. I’ll be trying them!

Cate @ Chez CateyLou — September 29, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I am loving your Halloween decorations! These potatoes look delicious, and the presentation couldn’t be cuter! That sauce sounds addicting!

Betsy @ Desserts Required — September 29, 2014 at 2:01 pm

These are fabulous. I love your creativity to pull in those childhood memories/nightmares of saying, Bloody Mary, in front of a mirror and bring them into a delicious dish!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm

You are too cute. I love this spooky set up. I can’t wait to make this bloody sauce. I cen see it finding its’ way on to a nice steak too!

Susan — September 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I used to do the bloody mary bit in front of the mirror too! We’d always freak ourselves out. These potatoes are just perfect. The roasting, the sauce, everything!

Choc Chip Uru — September 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Haha I still do that and get scared out of my wits! :P
    Your potatoes are a much more delicious way to go when it comes to bloody mary-s!

Lucky Day 12/13/14 — October 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm

This is really cute!

Love the food in the coffin. Although it sounds really weird!

Mummies for dinner and blood for breakfast!