Cinnamon Swirl Loaves

Homemade bread stuffed with cinnamon, brown sugar, and toasted pecans. Waft the fresh scent of home-baked bread goodness.

Two fresh loaves of Cinnamon Swirl Bread | www.themessybakerblog.com

Sometimes I use baked goods as a form of apology.

Take the other day, for instance. I was up in the attic collecting my fall decorations when I tripped over a random box of crap. I was able to cling to one of the roof beams to save myself from falling backwards down the attic steps (thank you, Jesus), but not before one of my legs went right through the ceiling–oops!

I pulled my leg out of the ceiling and proceeded to descend the attic stairs to access the damage, all the while singing everything’s gonna be all right.

It was not all right. It was far from all right. Sure enough, I managed to bust right through the newly renovated second floor ceiling–oops, again?

Cinnamon Swirl Loaves | This bread recipe makes two fresh loaves stuffed with cinnamon and sugar | www.themessybakerblog.com

How do you tell a man that just spent a gazillion man hours making your upstairs look purdy that you took a dive through his freshly plastered and painted ceiling?

You don’t. You cover up the damage and hope the other person never finds out–kind of like I did with the hole in the living room wall. However, this was a ceiling, and there was no way I was going to cover up the gaping hole with our wedding photo.

I was forced to tell the truth. That’s where this recipe for cinnamon swirl loaves from Red Star Yeast come in; because there’s no better way to say I’m sorry for falling through the ceiling than with two loaves of sweet, buttery cinnamon bread piping hot from the oven.

Cinnamon Swirl Loaves Bread Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.com

Here’s how the conversation played out:

Me: I made you two–not one, but two–loaves of cinnamon swirl bread. *walking away with speed* And, I’m sorry for falling through the second floor ceiling.

Squirrel: *holding the bread pan* Um… Hold on, what?

And that’s how you tell the truth. It works every time.

Cinnamon Swirl Loaves Bread Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.com

This recipe makes two gorgeous loaves of homemade bread swirled with a layer of melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and toasted pecans. The scent of yeast and cinnamon that fills your house as the loaves bake will have you wanting to bake bread every day for the smell alone.

I used Red Star Platinum Yeast in the recipe. Their Platinum Yeast increases volume and strengthens the dough. You’ll get a higher rise with more spring and a softer texture. They don’t call is superior for nothing. I reach for a packet every time I bake a loaf of homemade bread.

Cinnamon Swirl Loaves Bread Recipe | www.themessybakerblog.com

The swirl alone will have you coming back for seconds and thirds.

Cinnamon Swirl Loaves

Homemade bread stuffed with cinnamon, brown sugar, and toasted pecans.

Yield: 2 loaves

Prep Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes

Bread:

• 5 to 5 and 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 2 packets Red Star Active Dry or Platinum Yeast ( 4 and 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 whole milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 2 eggs

Cinnamon Sugar Swirl:

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans

1. Add 2 and 1/2 cups bread flour, yeast, sugar, and salt to the bowl of  a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Mix on low for 3o seconds to combine the ingredients.
  2. Add milk, water, and butter to a saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until hot to the touch (110-120 degrees F.).
  3. Add the milk mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer with the flour. Turn your mixer on low and mix until just combined.
  4. Add eggs and blend at a low speed until moistened. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat for 3 minutes.
  5. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the remaining flour until the dough is firm and no longer sticky. Turn the mixer to medium and beat for 6-8 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
  6. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and place in a warm area of your kitchen. Allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours, or until double in size.
  7. While the dough rises, add brown sugar, cinnamon, and toasted pecans to a small bowl; whisk to combine.
  8. Gently punch down the dough. Divide into 2 parts. Lightly flour a clean surface. Roll each dough half into a 14-by-7-inch rectangle with a rolling pin.
  9. Brush each half with melted butter and sprinkle half of the filling over each dough rectangle. Starting with the shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing the dough gently into the roll with each turn. Pinch the edges and ends to seal. Place each roll of dough in a greased 9-by-5-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
  10. Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
  11. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes before removing. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

If you don't have bread flour handy, substitute with equal amounts of all-purpose flour.

32 Responses to “Cinnamon Swirl Loaves”

Laura Dembowski — September 23, 2014 at 8:42 am

Haha! I’ll have to remember your baked good trick before I do something like that, which, let’s be honest, is only a matter of time. This bread looks like it would make up for anything. Too bad I don’t have some for breakfast.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:15 am

Works every time :) Thanks, Laura!

Julia — September 23, 2014 at 10:08 am

Deeeear lawww, that’s one of the funniest stories I’ve heard, although I feel so bad that now you all need to re-plaster and paint the ceiling. Life wouldn’t be complete without falling through at least one ceiling…is the way I see it ;) Diverting attention via delicious baked loaf of bread is genius. Well done, girly!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:16 am

The story alone was worth busting through the ceiling. Thanks, Julia!

Linda — September 23, 2014 at 11:12 am

That is just too funny! Although the feeling you get when something like that happens is dreadful. But what a way to get around the trauma of telling someone a true story. Greaat idea! This bread sounds like a good “cover up”.

Linda

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:16 am

Thanks, Linda!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — September 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Jennie! That is the worst!! I’m so sorry! Your dedication to fall decorating must be really intense now. Haha. I like your way of saying sorry :) Love the pecans in this, good choice.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:17 am

I had my heart set on decorating, and, by golly, I was going to get it done at whatever the cost. Thanks, Karen!

Sarah — September 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

This story made me smile! The bread looks delicious as well! Can’t wait to try it out:)

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:17 am

Thanks, Sarah!

Choc Chip Uru — September 23, 2014 at 8:52 pm

LOL you just kind of made my morning a little funnier :D
    And now I am also hungry, this bread loaf looks so good!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:17 am

Glad I could help, Uru! Thanks!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — September 23, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I’m keeping these beautiful, yummy loaves in mind for the next time I need to apologize. ;)

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:18 am

You can get mad when you’re being handed a loaf of bread. You just can’t.

Meggan | Culinary Hill — September 23, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Wow, that is one attractive cinnamon loaf! Your photographs are so gorgeous, I just want to sink my teeth into the bread!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:18 am

Thanks, Meggan!

Jessica @ Sweet Menu — September 24, 2014 at 1:26 am

WOW! This is so impressive! Look at that amazing swirl!!!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2014 at 7:18 am

Thanks, Jessica! The swirl is the best part.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — September 24, 2014 at 10:25 am

And that is why I don’t go in the attic. I’m so afraid of that happening!!

Love this bread so much. I want it toasted with loads of butter!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — September 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Okay, you need to tell me the secret on how your swirl looks so perfect cus mine definitely NEVER look like that!

Terra — September 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Goodness, I am behind on stopping by and saying hi. I just pinned several of your lovely treats. This bread now has me craving bread…..excuse me while I go stuff my face with some warm buttery bread! Yum, Hugs, Terra

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Hahahaha! Not funny, but soooo funny! I would have to offer Mike some kind of buffalo chicken dish as a distraction/peace offering. I had an incident last week in which I took a tumble down the basement stairs and all I could think was, be quiet, Andy is sleeping do not wake him! I am glad you are okay and have this amazingly beautiful loaf to enjoy!!!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — September 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Maybe you should keep the fall decorations up year round to avoid any further trips to the attic! That’s freaking scary! Thankfully you’re ok, Jennie. And poor Squirrel. Hopefully these gorgeous loaves of delicious, soft, pillow, cinammony bread takes some of the sting out of having to re-do the ceiling!

Ashley — September 24, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Oh my gosh, that is insane!! I can’t believe you fell through the ceiling – that’s like right out christmas vacation! :) haha

And this bread looks amazing – I loveeee homemade bread – it makes everything better!

shannon — September 28, 2014 at 7:54 am

okay, see those spirals in the loaves? those are perfect. which means you can use them to maybe hypnotize someone into not knowing you made a super-gigantic hole in your ceiling. I think it would work.

Oana — October 1, 2014 at 5:32 am

This swirl bread looks a lot lime one of my all time favorites – Romanian cozonac which is a sweet bread filled with chocolate and walnuts, very similar in pattern with this one. Never tried adding some cinnamon to it, but sounds like a great idea. Yum!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — October 3, 2014 at 2:42 am

Aww you poor thing!! That must’ve been awful to fall through the ceiling. I can’t imagine what’d it looked like from below, with a leg dangling through like a chandelier… I’m glad you’re okay, and baked goods are always the best form of apology! I’ve said since high school that I talk through my baking: I’m sorry, I love you, happy birthday, thank you… And anything with cinnamon is always at the beginning of the conversation. ;) Pinned!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm

omiGOSH–I’m laughing so hard. I’m so glad that you’re ok and I hope Squirrel is dealing ok but heheheeeeeee you’re hilarious. I mean….I feel like I’d forgive you for just about anything if you made ME 2 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread!

Donna — November 10, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Have a question…

When I make cinnamon bread the top layer always separates. Drives me nuts.. Any secrets??

Thanks!!

Looks yummy…gonna try yours next:)

Sammie — September 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm

This cinnamon swirl bread looks beautiful. I love making my own bread and will give this a try. Thanks for a great recipe. Sammie http://www.feastingisfun.com