Cranberry-Orange Spritzer

A sparkling cocktail made with tangy cranberry juice, sweet orange, and creamy vanilla vodka.

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

Move over, pumpkin, because there’s a new fall flavor combination in town.

Pumpkin isn’t the only fall flavor, you know. Although, looking at Pinterest, you wouldn’t be able to tell that any other flavor combinations exist during the fall/winter months. It’s all pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. Pumpkin certainly does have a Marsha Brady thing going for it come September.

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

Don’t get me wrong, I love pumpkin. I even count down the days until September: the official start of pumpkin madness. However, not everyone loves pumpkin like I do, and I’m a people pleaser; I like to make everyone happy, not just a select group.

For all of you pumpkin haters, this cranberry-orange spritzer is for you!

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

Cranberry and orange–it’s a classic. You see it pop up around Thanksgiving in the form of cranberry sauce, bread, and muffins. All those things are great, but wouldn’t you rather something you could sip that happens to contain booze?

That’s a rhetorical question folks, because I already know the answer. Heck yes, you would!

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

Bonfire season is also coming up. Wouldn’t you like, to say, sip on a fall-inspired beverage while you cozy up next to the campfire and tell spooky stories while toasting marshmallows? Again, a rhetorical question.

If you said yes to all of those things, this cranberry-orange spritzer is for you.

Let’s get our fall on!

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

Speaking of fall… Who started wearing their riding boots? I’m impatiently waiting. I took them out of their boxes so I can stare at them until the weather cools down.

Let’s talk about this cocktail. You’re going to love it! It’s sweet, tangy, fruity, and bubbly. And, it comes together in a few shakes.

Start by shaking 4 ounces of cranberry juice, the juice of one orange, 1 ounce of triple sec, and 2 ounces of vanilla vodka (or a flavor of your choice) with a scoop of ice. Shake, shake, shake!

Divide the boozy mixture between 2 glasses. Add ice and a splash of club soda or sprite. Garnish with a wedge of orange.

Cranberry Orange Spritzer Cocktail | www.themessybakerblog.com

I used vanilla vodka in this recipe, but you can use whatever flavor you have handy. The vanilla-flavored vodka adds a subtle creaminess that pairs nicely with the tanginess of the cranberry.

Cranberry-Orange Spritzer

A sparkling cocktail made with tangy cranberry and sweet orange. Spiked with vanilla vodka, this cocktail will be your new fall favorite.

Yield: 2 glasses

• 4 ounces cranberry juice
  • juice of 1 orange
  • 2 ounces vanilla vodka
  • 1 ounce triple sec
  • splash or club soda or Sprite
  • orange wedges for garnish

1. Add cranberry juice, orange juice, vodka, and triple sec to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Give the mixture a few generous shakes.
  2. Divide the mixture between two glasses. Add ice and a splash of club soda or Sprite. Garnish with an orange wedge.
All images and text ©.

17 Responses to “Cranberry-Orange Spritzer”

shannon — September 8, 2014 at 7:22 am

cranberry orange is SO my retro jam for the cooler months. Retro, i suppose, in the way that my mom has been obsessed (obsessed!) with the flavor combo ever since we were little, so things like cranberry orange muffins, cake, cookies…all of that came flying out of our oven during the fall and winter. i’m in. i know this is food blog blasphemy but i’ll take this over pumpkin anyday.

• Jennie replied September 8th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

It is a retro combination, isn’t it? If your mom loves cranberry and orange, she’ll love my newest granola combo. It’s a cosmo in granola form.

Julia — September 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

I’m SO ready for fall, and need no excuse to enjoy a sweet and tangy cocktail. These are absolutely gorg! I want all the cocktails!

• Jennie replied September 8th, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Girl, me too! I’ve been staring at my riding boots for the past 2 weeks. Thank you so much, Julia!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — September 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Oh I love the addition of vanilla vodka! I’m totally ready for a cocktail and a campfire!

• Jennie replied September 8th, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, Liz! It adds a lovely creamy flavor to the cocktail. I can’t wait for bonfire season to begin. If only it would cool down a bit.

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — September 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Definitely not a pumpkin hater, but I could do without all the pumpkin just yet. I’m all about easing into fall with more subtle flavors like this! Plus it’s still hot as balls outside, so something refreshing AND transitional is perfect!

• Jennie replied September 8th, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I hear ya! Although, I am guilty for posting pumpkin a wee bit early this year. I couldn’t contain my excitement any longer. You’re right, it is hot. Just last week it was 90 degrees in Baltimore.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — September 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I looooooove fall so much! I’ve been excited for September and holiday season for the past few months. Mainly because now that I live in a house, I can go buck wild decorating (weeeeell, only so far as my wallet can stretch) and I can’t wait to give out candy on Halloween. It’s still hot in Vancouver so I’m not ready for pumpkin everything yet. I’ll gladly take a few pitchers of this delicious cranberry orange spritzer to sip on until the temperatures lower. I also have a brand new pair of awesome motorcycle ankle boots that I want to wear but I’ll look a bit nutty in my tank top and shorts!

• Jennie replied September 8th, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I haven’t even seen your boots, and I’m already jealous. I’ve been in the hunt for a new pair of booties. I’m thinking gray suede. It’s still hot as hell in Baltimore, so chilly cocktails it is! I have gone a bit crazy on the Christmas decorations over the years. I’ll gladly share :)

Luci {Luci's Morsels} — September 9, 2014 at 1:21 am

So this crazy, but I like pumpkin bread with cranberries and orange zest. And now I’m ready for it even more! This drink combo sounds divine and a great way to enjoy fall flavors when it’s still so warm outside!!

Luci’s Morsels – fashion. food. frivolity.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 9, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Woo hoo pumpkin haters unite! JK. I don’t hate pumpkins I just am not ready for pumpkin season juuust yet! I looove a good spritz!

Ashley — September 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I love orange and cranberry together! And don’t get me wrong, I love pumpkin, but I like some variety too! Apple, pear, cranberry – all such fall-goodness! These spritzers sound awesomeee.

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2014 at 9:38 am

Variety is always welcome. I like to shake things up a bit. Thanks, Ashley!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — September 11, 2014 at 4:53 am

This spritzer looks so refreshing and delicious, perfect for the soon to be summer weather here in Australia!

Choc Chip Uru — September 11, 2014 at 5:28 am

That colour is enough to have me needing to drink this :D
    Gorgeous!

Michelle { A Latte Food } — September 11, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Haha, your Marcia Brady reference was spot on! I do love a good pumpkin recipe, but cranberry orange is one of my favorite flavor combos! Can’t wait to give this recipe a go :-)