Cranberry Orange Granola

Sweet, citrusy granola made with freshly squeezed orange juice, fragrant orange zest, almonds, and dried cranberries. This cranberry orange granola is about to become your favorite fall snack.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

My obsession for sweet, crunchy granola knows no bounds. This recipe for cranberry orange granola is loosely based off of the flavors in my favorite cocktail, the cosmopolitan.

Bright, juicy orange and sinfully sweet dried cranberries combine to create one amazing batch of granola.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

Granola is one of my very favorite snacks. I keep a small container of it in my purse for snacking emergencies. Hey, you never know when you’re going to have a fierce snack attack. I like to be prepared at all times.

Plus, I get cranky when I’m hungry.

Granola also prevents me from reaching for a brownie or extra scoop of ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love to indulge, but my metabolism is beginning to slow at the ripe old age of thirty. These days, I have to put forth more effort to squeeze into those skinny jeans I love so dang much.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

Whenever I get the urge to binge eat dark chocolate peanut butter cups, I march right on over to the granola jar instead. It works about 60 percent of the time.

I never said I was perfect.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

One bowl and a rubber spatula are all you’ll need to whip up this recipe. I’m not one to skimp on flavor, so I used the juice and zest of one orange to give this granola a bold burst of orange flavor.

If you look closely, you can see the vibrant orange flecks of the orange zest baked into the oats.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

I used maple syrup to sweeten the granola and give it that classic maple flavor that bakes up and has your house smelling like a fall candle. Um, cranberry, orange, and maple–hello, flavor town.

If you want to make a gluten-free version of this granola, swap the old-fashioned oats for certified gluten-free oats.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

To give this granola some protein and crunch, I added chopped raw almonds and raw sunflower seeds. They toast up in the oven and get cozy with the oats and cranberries.

Cranberry Orange Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

I know I’ve said this about the maple pecan granola, banana maple granola, and cookie butter cinnamon chip granola, but I think this might be my favorite granola recipe yet.

Cranberry Orange Granola

Yield: 6 cups

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1 cup almonds, roughly chopped

1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

1 cup dried cranberries

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1/3 cup maple syrup

zest and juice of 1 orange

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, add oats, shredded coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.

Whisk together melted coconut oil, maple syrup, orange zest and juice, and vanilla extract. Gently fold the mixture into the oat mixture with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.

Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking sheet, spreading the mixture evenly onto the pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not stir the mixture as it bakes.

Place the pan on a wire rack and cool the granola completely. Using your hands, gently break up the granola into bite-sized chunks. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Swap certified gluten-free oats for the old-fashioned oats to make this granola gluten-free.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest475Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

21 Responses to “Cranberry Orange Granola”

movita beaucoup — September 2, 2014 at 7:21 am

Food that makes your house smell like a candle? BRILLIANT. Mostly because I just finished painting some chairs and our house smells like… painted chairs.

• Jennie replied September 2nd, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Thanks, Movita! It’s cheaper to turn on my oven than it is to buy a Yankee Candle these days :) Whenever the house gets a little funky, I bake a batch of granola.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — September 2, 2014 at 11:16 am

Perfect fall flavors to switch up my granola routine!

• Jennie replied September 2nd, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, Jess! I’ve been munching on it all week. I’m in love!

Mimi — September 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

That is fabulous granola – great year round, but it would be wonderful to have during the holidays! Great with yogurt, too!

• Jennie replied September 2nd, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I love sprinkling this over yogurt. Thanks, Mimi!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — September 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm

It’s amazing that you based a granola recipe off of a cocktail! Love it!

• Jennie replied September 2nd, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Liz! I always have cocktails on the brain ;)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — September 2, 2014 at 9:50 pm

A Cosmo-inspired granola?? GIMME.

Julia — September 3, 2014 at 8:44 am

Ohhhh I just love it! I could snack on this granola all day long! The orange/cranberry combo is one of my faves in the fall and winter months – so warm, tangy, and inviting! I need a quadruple batch of this!

DessertForTwo — September 3, 2014 at 9:43 am

Gorg! I saw this on pinterest and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since! So pretty!

shannon — September 3, 2014 at 10:45 am

My mom would LOVE this: in fact, i may secretly make her some and send it to her, because it’s nice to do. also, because there would be some left over for me, right? YES.

Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — September 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

That made me laugh when you said that you say every new granola recipe is your favourite, because I do the exact same thing! I love granola, but always want to change it up to a new flavour combination, and every one is then my new favourite! I haven’t tried orange yet, so maybe that will be my next favourite too!

CakePants — September 3, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I’m loving the orange zest and orange juice in this granola! I’ve always been a fan of the cranberry-orange flavor combo, but have never thought to do that with granola – yum! Looking forward to trying this.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 3, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I was seriously just telling my mom how one of my favorite fruit combos is orange and cranberry! All I need to do is throw in either some dark chocolate or white chocolate and I have my sweet fix!

• Jennie replied September 4th, 2014 at 8:48 am

Dark chocolate would be lovely in this granola. It’s totally going to happen the next time I make a batch. Thanks, Stef!

Choc Chip Uru — September 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

Granola with so much fresh fruit flavour? I am IN :D

• Jennie replied September 4th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thanks, Uru!

Russell from Chasing Delicious — September 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Yum! What a fantastic combination of flavors!

Marcia — October 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

I was looking for a different granola recipe, and found this one. Made it, and the house smelled YUMMY!!!! I bagged it in 1/2c servings in snack bags; gave some to a couple of coworkers, and they are fans! This is the BEST granola I have made, and I will be making MUCH MORE!! YUM!!!!