Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction ~ #SundaySupper
Grilled mushrooms simply dressed with a Merlot reduction.
Sometimes, it’s the simple things in life that provide the most pleasure. For example:
- Fresh picked radishes layered on a chewy hunk of buttered bread, drizzled with fruity olive oil and a sprinkle of coarse salt.
- Thick slices of homegrown tomatoes between layers of creamy mozzarella cheese.
- Vibrant green tea poured over ice and muddled berries.
Food doesn’t have to be complicated. Often times, fresh ingredients prepared simply make the best dishes. This recipe for grilled mushrooms with merlot reduction is perfectly uncomplicated in honor of summer simplicity.
This week the #SundaySupper crew is celebrating the grill with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Honestly, it’s too dang hot to turn on the oven.
And, what cookout is complete without wine?
Every grill master deserves a glass of vino while flipping burgers, and Gallo Family Vineyards offers the perfect selection of wine for the job.
This week we had the pleasure of sipping on their Sweet White Blend and Merlot. I prefer a sweet and light-bodied wine in summer. Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sweet White Blend is perfect chilled. It’s light with hints of melon and fruity peach.
Since I love cooking with wine, I found their Merlot the perfect addition to this recipe. It’s the perfect balance of smooth and dry. This medium-bodied wine is mildly oaky with hints of black cherry and sweet plum.
I made the drizzle by combining Merlot, balsamic, and a touch of honey. I reduced the mixture in a small saucepan over medium-low heat to create a slightly thick syrup to drizzle over the grilled mushrooms.
I used my favorite grilling tool, my grill basket, to cook the mushrooms. The mushrooms come together in just a few minutes. Drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill for 6-8 minutes until tender. The key to perfectly cooked or grilled mushrooms is salting them at the end. Never salt mushrooms at the beginning or you’ll end up with steamed mushrooms instead of browned mushrooms.
Drizzle the grilled mushrooms with the Merlot reduction. Enjoy as a side or spoon over grilled steak.
Find a Gallo retailer near you with their store locator. Click here to receive a $1 off digital coupon. If you would like to receive updates and recipe inspiration, follow Gallo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and You Tube.
Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction
Simply grilled cremini mushrooms drizzled with a Merlot and balsamic reduction. Enjoy them as a side or spoon them over grilled steak.
Yield: 10 ounces
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
1 (10-ounce) package cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup Merlot (such as Gallo)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
Preheat your propane or charcoal grill.
Merlot Reduction: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium-low heat. Cook until the sauce reduces to 1/4 cup, about 30 minutes. The reduction should resemble a loose syrup.
Clean your mushrooms with a dry tea towel to remove any excess dirt or particles. Place the mushrooms in a small bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer the mushrooms to an outdoor grill basket. Cook over high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt before you remove the pan from the grill.
Place the grilled mushrooms in a serving bowl and drizzle with the merlot reduction. Serve as a side or spoon over steak.
If you don't own a grilling basket, you can use bamboo skewers instead. Place the skewers in shallow water for 10 minutes before grilling so they don't catch on fire.
Check out the other #SundaySupper recipes:
- Grilled Brie with Tropical Fruit Compote by girlichef
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Salads and Sides:
- Grilled Caesar Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction by The Messy Baker
- Asian Pork Lettuce Cups by Magnolia Days
- BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Cheddar Merlot Burgers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Merlot Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Hawaiian Sea Salt Tuna Nuggets by Family Foodie
- Grilled Honey Lime Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Strawberry Jam Glaze by Savvy Eats
- Grilled Ribeye with Mushroom Merlot Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers with a Sweet White Blend Marinade by Country Girl in the Village
- Merlot Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Merlot Burger by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Shish Kabobs in Red Wine Rosemary Marinade by The Dinner-Mom
- Tandoori-style Lamb Chops by kimchi MOM
- Grilled Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Desserts Required
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches by Hip Foodie Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.