Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

I hope you’re in the mood for chocolate today, because I’m bringing it to you double-trouble style with this recipe for double chocolate chip muffins. They’re a chocolate lover’s dream come true.

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

Every once in a while–okay, almost every day–I like to treat myself to a decadent breakfast. In my world, decadent and chocolate are synonymous. Just yesterday I enjoyed one of these double chocolate chip muffins with a frozen mocha frappe.

It was breakfast heaven.

Since I’m not a morning person, I use the mocha frappe/muffin combo to bribe myself out of bed. Call it crazy. Call it unconventional. It works!

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

I like to call this recipe a one-bowl wonder. One bowl. Less dishes. Muffins in my face faster.

The ingredients for this recipe are fairly basic, most of which can probably be found in the comforts of your pantry.

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

These muffins literally take 5 minutes to whip up. I say “literally” because I actually timed it.

The method is easy. Let me play it out for you:

1. Melt butter.
  2. Dump all of the wet ingredients into a large bowl.
  3. Whisk wet ingredients until smooth.
  4. Dump in the dry ingredients.
  5. Stir to combine.
  6. Fold in chocolate chips.
  7. Fill muffin tins.
  8. Bake.
  9. Eat.
  10. Repeat step nine.

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

Steps number nine and ten are my favorite.

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

To get these muffins to bake up super moist, I used a stick of melted butter and a generous amount of buttermilk. I added extra cocoa powder and a teaspoon of espresso powder to create a rich, chocolatey base.

They’re semi-dense with a moist, tender crumb–a cross between a cupcake and a muffin.

Muffcake?

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins | www.themessybakerblog.com

Loads of chocolate chips… You betcha! I added a generous helping of dark chocolate to the batter. They bake up gooey, melty, and sinfully chocolatey. You’ll crunch through the perfectly crispy muffin top and your teeth will sink to the moist center. You may even experience a little melted chocolate on your upper lip. It’s all good.

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

Rich, moist chocolate muffins loaded with dark chocolate chips. One bowl and 5 minutes are all you need to achieve muffin success.

Yield: 12 muffins

Dry:

1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)

1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, add wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.

Add dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Fill the tins 3/4 full with batter. Turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F. and place the muffins in the oven. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not over bake.

Allow the muffins to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest284Share on Facebook9Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

27 Responses to “Double Chocolate Chip Muffins”

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — July 3, 2014 at 9:07 am

Double chocolate muffins are my absolute favorite. My mom used to do a chocolate cake mix with chocolate chips and call it breakfast for rare occasions – those were always my favorite mornings! Pinned :)

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:07 am

Starting the day with chocolate is the best. Thanks, Chelsea!

Julia — July 3, 2014 at 10:07 am

Thankfully I haven’t had breakfast yet, so there’s still time to treat myself to a decadent meal. I’m ALWAYS down for double chocolate! Time to addict myself to these beauts!

• Jennie replied July 3rd, 2014 at 10:27 am

Let the addiction begin. Thanks, Julia!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — July 3, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Lol, I need to bribe myself with something every morning, otherwise I’d never get up! I love that you actually timed yourself making these muffins – I don’t know if I can wait the 5 minutes to get them into the oven ;) They look fantastic, Jennie, with a perfect crumb. Gorgeous photos too, my friend. Happy 4th of July tomorrow!

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:18 am

I don’t blame you, girl. I was scooping out batter by the spoonfuls. Thank you so much, Nancy!

Choc Chip Uru — July 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

These muffins look so utterly delicious, the best breakfast muffins around :D

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:17 am

Thanks, Uru!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — July 4, 2014 at 8:29 pm

yesyesyessss!! chocolate! chocolate! chocolate! for breakfast! and it’s easy! HIP HIP HOOOORAYYYY

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:16 am

I love your enthusiasm, Kayle!

Ashley — July 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

One bowl? My favorite kind of baking. Anything that gets baked goods in my mouth faster is always a good thing!! : ) This look awesome – I mean with double chocolate … what’s not to love???

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:16 am

Right? Gotta love a good one-bowl recipe. Thank you so much, Ashley!

Jeff @ Cheese-burger.net — July 6, 2014 at 10:08 pm

These muffins are very delicious and very easy to make. Perfect for me since I usually don’t have much time for baking in my weekly schedule.

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:15 am

Hi Jeff! Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a note. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed these muffins. Happy baking!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — July 7, 2014 at 1:36 am

Chocolate for breakfast, one-bowl recipe, common pantry ingredients?! Don’t mind if I do! These look awesome!

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 7:16 am

It’s hard to say no when the stars line up like that :) Thanks, Elizabeth!

sue/the view from great island — July 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

It never fails, the minute July 4th is over, I start getting in the muffin sort of mood! These look delightfully decadent!

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 9:36 pm

The only way to cure a muffin craving is to bake muffins. Thanks!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — July 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm

yum these look wicked! love the recipe, thanks jennie!

• Jennie replied July 7th, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Thank you so much, Thalia!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — July 22, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ve been looking for a good chocolate muffin recipe! These look great. I kind of made up a recipe for chocolate muffins the other day and they were dreadful :( I had to throw them out.

Ashamaree — January 19, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I am due any day now my 2 year old has to go stay with his god parents while we are in the hospital so I am making him these muffins as I type this.. Can I freeze these.. If so for how long?! Please say yes I don’t want them to go to waste!

1. Pingback: 55 Delicious Buttermilk Recipes Beyond Just Pancakes