Summer Berry Smoothie

A summer-inspired smoothie packed with fresh berries, protein, and antioxidants.

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Nestle, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #BreakfastEssentials http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV

Mornings are not my jam. I hit the snooze button on the alarm clock at least 5 times every morning before rolling out of bed. Just ten more minutes. Multiply that number by five and what I end up with is fifty extra minutes of sleep and no time to fix my hair or make breakfast.

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

That’s where smoothies come in handy.

Oh, my hair? Yeah, that’s a lost cause. It’s food before hair for this gal.

This summer berry smoothie is full of seasonal berries: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. It’s berry tasty.

I agree, that was lame. Moving on…

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

I used a pack of French Vanilla Carnation Breakfast Essentials to give the smoothie a boost of protein, vitamins, and calcium. Each pack contains 13 grams of protein, 21 vitamins and minerals, 25% of your daily calcium.

Basically, it’s nutrition in a glass.

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

Right now Walmart is offering a $1.00 off coupon when you buy a box of Carnation Breakfast Essentials. I used my coupon to stock my pantry. They make a variety of flavors: Dark Chocolate, Strawberry Sensation, Classic Chocolate Malt, and Classic French Vanilla. They even offer a few no-sugar added flavors.

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

The berries:

• Blueberries- This gorgeous blue variety is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. They’re considered a powerhouse of nutrients and a superfood. The health benefits are endless.
  • Raspberries- This plump red berry is good for heart health. They’re high in fiber and Vitamin C. Research suggests that eating more raspberries may prevent the growth of cancer cells.
  • Blackberries- These sweet berries tested the highest in antioxidant content per serving. They have disease fighting powers and may decrease the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
  • Strawberries- One cup of these juicy berries equals 140% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C. They help lower blood pressure, fight cancer, lower the risk of developing certain diseases.

Lesson: Eat more berries!

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

Berries are sweetest in the summer. I stock up at the local farmers’ markets every week. If you find that fresh berries are too expensive, feel free to use frozen berries.

I added half of a frozen banana to the smoothie. The banana thickens the smoothie and adds natural sweetness. Don’t worry, the berries are the star of the show in this smoothie; you won’t even know the banana exists.

Summer Berry Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

This smoothie fits perfectly into my hectic morning routine. It takes me 5 minutes to prepare and can be consumed on the go.

For more recipe inspiration using Carnation Breakfast Essentials, visit their Facebook page.

Summer Berry Smoothie

Yield: 1 (10 ounce) glass

1/4 cup milk (almond, soy, coconut, cow)

1/2 frozen banana

1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (any flavor)

1 teaspoon flaxseed meal (optional)

1/4 cup chopped strawberries

1/4 cup blackberries

1/4 cup blueberries

1/4 cup raspberries

1 packet French Vanilla Carnation Breakfast Essentials

Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of your blender. Pulse until smooth.

Serve immediately.

You can substitute 1 cup of frozen mixed berries in place of the fresh berries.

Flaxseed meal is optional and won’t change the texture of the smoothie. It does, however, add a boost of fiber.

All images and text ©.

Disclosure: This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Nestle, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #BreakfastEssentials http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV

18 Responses to “Summer Berry Smoothie”

ATasteOfMadness — May 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Really? I LOVE mornings! I think I would love them even more if I had this smoothie! This looks great!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — May 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I’m with ya, girl. I HATE mornings! Lately, I’ve been waking up at 8:15, brush my teeth, get dressed, then gas it all the way to the office for 9 a.m. I’m living on the edge, here! I love the idea of grabbing a delicious, vitamin packed smoothie like this one for breakfast at my desk. And Jennie, you’ve been totally killing it with your photos lately. Everything is so incredibly beautiful!

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life — May 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

13 grams? Get out, that is awesome! And I’m loving all those fruits … berry tasty indeed. ;) Haha, yep, my hair is always a lost cause. Mornings, if I don’t get up early and immediately start doing something, just don’t work. That’s why coffee and smoothies were invented, right? :)

Ashley — May 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I’ve been adding lots of berries to my smoothies lately – this look delicious! And so pretty too – I love the color berries give to smoothies! I’m a total morning person but I still don’t want to spend lots of time on breakfast – quick and easy all the way.

Julia — May 16, 2014 at 8:27 am

This smoothie is so fresh and colorful! I love what’s going on in those glasses and can definitely tell I’d have no problem getting out of bed knowing a delicious smoothie awaited :) Love these, lady!

Laura Dembowski — May 16, 2014 at 8:38 am

I’m a part of this campaign too! It’s awesome because I love a good smoothie. I put strawberries and blueberries in mine a lot but never blackberries because I’m afraid the seeds will be annoying. Did you mind the seeds?

Choc Chip Uru — May 16, 2014 at 8:52 am

Nothing beats a good smoothie, especially when it is such a beautiful colour and flavour :D

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 16, 2014 at 11:54 am

SUCH prettyyyyy, delicious, smoothies!!!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project — May 16, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I like how you used a frozen banana in this smoothie! That is one of my favorite smoothie ingredients! This looks so delicious and refreshing on a hot day!

Valerie — May 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’m a reticent morning lover; getting up early feels productive but if I admit to enjoying the smug glow, it’s not quite as satisfying. Usually I’m not hungry until noon but perhaps a blithe smoothie would lessen the contrary relationship I have with am hours. :D

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 18, 2014 at 2:03 am

I love how bright and vibrant this smoothie is!!

Allison @ Clean Wellness — May 18, 2014 at 9:19 am

Yum! I love a smoothie for breakfast. Beautiful photos! This looks so summerlicious and refreshing! :)

Kelly — May 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Love all the berries in this smoothie – it looks so pretty and delicious! This smoothie would definitely make my mornings so much brighter :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — May 24, 2014 at 7:24 am

I’ve tried taking pictures of blueberry smoothies so many times before and they always start to turn brownish after a few minutes. So. Awesome job. :)

Chris — June 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Thanks this looks awesome! I tried this other sweet smoothie recipe with similar benefits the other day, it’s watermelon!

1. Pingback: Summertime Smoothies | Dormify

2. Pingback: 31 Great Ideas for Your Summer Bucket List! | AmeriAgency – Auto & Home Insurance