Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Creamy ranch dressing made with tangy buttermilk and fresh herbs.

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

I have been on a serious salad kick lately; partly because the weather is warming up, and partly because I’ve been extremely lazy.

I spend most of my days in the kitchen pumping out cookies, developing new recipes, and writing posts. By the time I’m finished, the last thing I feel like doing is cooking yet another meal.

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

Hence the salad kick. You throw everything in a bowl and toss it with dressing. Viola, dinner is served.

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

I very rarely buy salad dressing. It’s full of preservatives, additives, and a bunch of ingredients I can’t pronounce. Instead, I make my own dressing.

This homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe comes together in under 5 minutes. Since I usually eat a salad every day, I make enough dressing to last all week.

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

I experienced an episode of excitement the other day as I stood in front of the herbs at my local market. I got a little grabby and started loading my basket full of fresh herb bunches.

Thanks to my lack of self control, I had an overabundance of herbs lingering in my refrigerator that needed lovin’. I decided to make a tub of ranch dressing since it requires mass quantities of fresh herbs.

Problem solved!

The buttermilk base is a combination of mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and buttermilk. I seasoned the dressing with garlic and a combination of fresh dill, parsley, and chives.

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | www.themessybakerblog.com

This dressing is tangy, creamy, and full of earthy herbs. Drizzle it on your salad or use it as a dip for your veggies.

Homemade Ranch Dressing

Creamy buttermilk ranch dressing loaded with fresh herbs.

Yield: 1 (8-ounce) jar

1/3 cup mayonnaise

2/3 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons buttermilk

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon Bon Appetit Seasoning Salt (made by McCormick)

1 clove garlic, finely minced

1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped

2 tablespoons chives, chopped

Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Whisk until the mixture is combined.

Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 7 days. Shake before serving.

For a healthier option, use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise and light sour cream.

All images and text ©.

23 Responses to “Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing”

Laura Dembowski — May 11, 2014 at 8:22 am

I am so making this for my dad! He eats that crap from the bottle and it drives me nuts. It’s so gross! I had one of those throw every vegetable in my bowl salads the other day – it was so great!

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Your dad will love this dressing, Laura! I agree, I’m not a fan of bottled dressing.

Julia — May 11, 2014 at 9:39 am

I NEED THIS!!! I love homemade salad dressings and I stay away from the store-bought stuff too. I eat salad every day and am always looking for variety, so this dressing is perfect for adding to my salad repertoire. Have a great weekend, lady!

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Too me, the store-bought dressing tastes artificial. Yuck! You’re going to love this recipe.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — May 11, 2014 at 10:50 am

Gorgeous photos, Jennie! Love the styling! And the dressing – I need to make it!!

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thank you so much, Anna!

Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking — May 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I am right there with you on the salad kick…and I, like you, refuse to buy dressing…umm what is half that stuff?!?! Although yesterday I got really lazy and just put balsamic vinegar on my salad. I looked down and thought “tragic.”

I must shake it up and try this ranch dressing! It sounds delicious and your photos are just breathtaking! I love the way you staged it and all the green. Plus it gives me a reason to be a little “grabby” in the fresh herb section!

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I’ve been there, Lindsey. Sometimes mixing up dressing is just too much. Thank you!

Mariana @The Candid Kitchen — May 11, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I am always looking for new ideas for dressings, this looks fantastic.

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thanks, Mariana! You’ll love this creamy dressing.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 11, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Seriously. I maintain-GORGEOUS photos!

and I so wanna make this dressing for Michael!!!

• Jennie replied May 11th, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Thank you so much, Kayle! Michael will love this fresh dressing.

Choc Chip Uru — May 11, 2014 at 8:51 pm

This ranch dressing needs to be my go to recipe now :D

• Jennie replied May 12th, 2014 at 2:03 pm

You will love it, Uru! Thanks.

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — May 12, 2014 at 1:11 am

I LOVE homemade dressing! Once I started making my own, I was too spoiled to go back to the store stuff, so I’m always on the lookout for great home recipes. Thanks for this one, Jennie!

• Jennie replied May 12th, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I agree, Elizabeth. I’ve become a major dressing snob. Thanks!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 12, 2014 at 10:10 am

I just adore homemade dressings and this looks perfect!

• Jennie replied May 12th, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Thanks, Jocelyn!

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life — May 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Shhh, you weren’t supposed to tell everyone that I eat salads because I’m lazy not healthy! Oh well, secrets out ;)
    This is gorgeous ranch dressing, and trust me, I’ve never called Hidden Valley pretty before. I love how easy it is to whip up, too! Pinned!

[email protected] & Trinkets — May 13, 2014 at 11:13 am

I never buy dressings. I usually just make a vinaigrette, but this look so creamy and delish. And I love all your fresh herbs. Pinning!

Terra — May 19, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hubby and I struggle to find delicious homemade dressing recipes. Your ranch dressing looks fabulous! Hugs, Terra

[email protected] — May 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I love this recipe for homemade ranch!! Ranch is pretty much a staple for us, and we could really do without all the nasty extra ingredients in the store bought ranch! Pinned! :)

1. Pingback: Tequila-Lime Chicken Chopped Salad #WeekdaySupper #ChooseDreams