Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese ~ #SundaySupper

A sweet, gooey dessert grilled cheese oozing with chocolate, peanut butter, bananas, and melted marshmallows.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese | www.themessybakerblog.com

I have several favorites when it comes to food. I am, after all, a foodie. Cheese, however, is in an entirely different category. The word “favorite” doesn’t even begin to describe my adoration for cheese.

I’ll take any excuse to create a lavish cheese platter. If there is such a cheese platter present, I’ll be the first in line with my plate, ready to gorge myself with several helpings of cheese.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese | www.themessybakerblog.com

When it comes to cheese, boundaries become obscured and limits are breached. I will eat all the cheese.

Squirrel mentioned the phrase too much cheese once, and only once. I quickly nipped that in the bud. I can’t allow that kind of talk in this house. Who knows what could happen if that sort of information were to slip into the hands of the wrong person. I can’t risk it. Psht, too much cheese! No. Such. Thing.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese | www.themessybakerblog.com

Today the #SundaySupper team is partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to celebrate grilled cheese. Melted, gooey cheese sandwiched and oozing between two slices of fresh bread.

Grilled cheese is extremely versatile. The other day I spread left over soft garlic and herb cheese on homemade bread and topped it with thick slices of mozzarella. I grilled it on each side until the mozzarella seeped from the two slices of bread. I paired it with homemade roasted tomato soup. Just a little something I threw together on a rainy Saturday.

GFV-family-logo

Today I’m going a different route and making dessert grilled cheese to pair with Gallo Family Vineyards’ Café Zinfandel, a sweet and fruity red wine with a subtle effervescence.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese | www.themessybakerblog.com

You guys, this dessert grilled cheese is ridiculous. First, I used fresh bread. I woke up extra early and baked a loaf of simple white bread. Fresh bread will always make a better grilled cheese sandwich. If you want to get a little fancy, you can make or buy a fresh loaf of brioche bread.

I smeared one half of the bread with a mixture of cream cheese, peanut butter, and honey. I topped it with thin slices of ripe banana and a handful of mini marshmallows. I spread the second half of the bread with a generous scoop of chocolate hazelnut spread. I then slapped the two halves together and seared each side in a pool of butter until perfectly golden brown.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese | www.themessybakerblog.com

Sweet, crispy, and oozing gooey deliciousness.

The mallows melt to form a sweet, sticky layer that coats the banana slices and marries the two slices of bread. The cream cheese adds a slight tang that pairs perfectly and balances the sweet chocolate hazelnut layer.

Once cut in half, there’s no controlling the sticky ooze that seeps out and creeps down your fingers as you devour the sandwich. Enjoy with Gallo Family Vineyards’ Cafe Zinfandel.

You can follow Gallo on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Click here to find a Gallo retailer near you.

Funky Monkey Dessert Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1 sandwich

2 slices white or brioche bread

1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened

2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon honey

1 tablespoon chocolate hazelnut spread

1/2 banana, sliced

2 tablespoons mini marshmallows

1 tablespoon butter

In a small bowl, add cream cheese, peanut butter, and honey. Stir to combine.

Spread cream cheese mixture on one slice of bread. Top with banana slices and mini marshmallows. Spread chocolate hazelnut spread on the other slice of bread and place it on top of the slice with bananas.

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Place the prepared sandwich in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Slice the sandwich in half and serve warm.

SSbadge-150x150Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Check out the other #SundaySupper grilled cheese recipes:

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest1.7kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly10

71 Responses to “Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese ~ #SundaySupper”

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — April 6, 2014 at 7:01 am

oh my gawd, I LOVE this grilled cheese!!! So sweet, decadent and inventive!!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Alice!

Cindys Recipes and Writings — April 6, 2014 at 7:28 am

Cream cheese was the perfect choice for this funky sandwich, Jennie! I love the combo!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Cindy!

Family Foodie — April 6, 2014 at 7:50 am

This is just too much fun!! Love the creativity.

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Isabel!

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — April 6, 2014 at 8:08 am

Over-the-top awesome! Just love how creative your grilled cheese is…I’ve been drooling at your sneak peeks…now to the secret is out!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks, Marjory.

Alida — April 6, 2014 at 8:14 am

This looks so gooey, delicious – LOVE! And it would pair perfectly with the Cafe Zinfandel!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks, Alida. The wine was so good with this sammie.

Liz — April 6, 2014 at 8:29 am

Oh, wow, this dessert version looks crazy good!!! Who can resist cream cheese AND marshmallows????

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Certainly not me :) Thanks, Liz.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

Oh dear heavens! Your sandwich looks to die for!!! I have nothing to say except get in my belly!!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Thanks, Jennifer!

Betsy @ Desserts Required — April 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

Forget the kids….I want this for me!!! I love that the marshmallows marry the two slices of bread…great analogy!!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Heck yeah, Betsy. Thanks!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — April 6, 2014 at 9:54 am

NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH CHEESE!! Grilled cheese is a current new obsession. and girrrrrl….DESSERT grilled cheese?! ohhh yes. Esp when you stuff it with like everything delicious in the woooorld!!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Exactly, Kayle. You know what’s up.

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — April 6, 2014 at 10:40 am

This is pure amazing-ness. Love every part of this grilled cheese and your photos are absolutely stunning! Way to ROCK it! Pinned :)

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Thanks, Chelsea!

Susan — April 6, 2014 at 10:42 am

Now this is a dessert grilled cheese to swoon over! Looks incredible!

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Thanks, Susan!

movita beaucoup — April 6, 2014 at 10:44 am

I can’t even. As in: where do we go from here? This looks next level amazing…

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Up, my friend. We go up. Thanks, Movita.

Valerie — April 6, 2014 at 11:00 am

Oh, my! Since it’s the weekend, may I have three sandwiches, please!
    I’m a cheese devotee too, unfortunately it doesn’t love me back. :D

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Three gooey sandwiches coming right up. Thanks!

Renee — April 6, 2014 at 11:10 am

Heaven on a plate as far as I’m concerned. Or actually, even more heavenly while eating this incredible sandwich.

• Jennie replied April 10th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Thanks, Renee!

Heather // girlichef — April 6, 2014 at 11:22 am

Stop it! Just stop it! You are absolutely killing me with this delicious mess. I want a dessert grilled cheese right this minute.

Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP) — April 6, 2014 at 11:40 am

I am definitely down for this dessert grilled cheese, but with your flavor combination I think I will have to elbow my 9 yo to get to it first. She would love it as much as I do! Great idea!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — April 6, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Now that is a grilled cheese. You know I could never give up wine, bread and cheese. And chocolate. And caramel. Okay, I’ll stop. :)
    This looks fantastic! love the gooeyness!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — April 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

OH MAN! I love the funky monkey combo and using cream cheese and peanut butter together for a gooey grilled cheese is a simply fabulous idea. Glad you cleared up that “too much cheese” business before it got out of hand. Whew!

Melanie — April 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm

This looks like heaven in between two slices of bread! And with a glass of wine? YES!

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — April 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Could I just eat this and only this for the rest of my life? Well, maybe topped with a scoop of ice cream :-)

Shaina — April 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I may have just ruined my keyboard with drool…

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled — April 6, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Jennie, when I saw your pic of this grill cheese you shared on Instagram yesterday I couldn’t WAIT for your post today! And all I have to say is WOW, I need to make this ASAP! Looks delicious, pinned :)

CCU — April 6, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I want this for my dinner tonight so bad :D

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — April 6, 2014 at 7:13 pm

There’s. O such thing as too much cheese. And you’ve ruined me for life with this deliciousness. I want it everyday of my life.

Jen — April 6, 2014 at 8:35 pm

My entire family would go crazy over this! I can’t wait to make this! Yummy!

Mary Frances — April 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

You just redefined sandwich for me. Can Subway get a hold of this idea?? This looks absolutely finger licking amazing! Nutella and peanut butter and honey and bananas. You are an evil genius, Jennie. But my lunch rotation thanks you for it!

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — April 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

I love the idea of making grilled cheese for dessert! This looks amazing!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — April 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

You get all the cheese? Au contraire! I will arm wrestle you for this sandwich!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — April 7, 2014 at 10:39 am

So glad we had some creative people like you doing dessert this week! Lovely photos, Jennie!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — April 7, 2014 at 11:21 am

Never too much cheese! Love the idea of a dessert grilled cheese!

Constance Smith (@FoodieArmyWife) — April 7, 2014 at 11:53 am

Oh dear heavens. I haven’t eaten in two days (long story), and this week’s theme of GRILLED CHEESE is torturing me – my favorite! With each one I see, my stomach is saying “this one! No, This one!!! Noo..THIS ONE!!!” Oh yeah….THIS one!

Beth @ bethcakes — April 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Oh my gosh, this sounds like the most decadent dessert grilled cheese ever! I love all the gooey hazelnut spread and marshmallows! :)

shannon — April 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

i can’t even think about this right now: TOO DELICIOUS. brain exploding.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I am DYING for this!!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — April 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

What a delicious sinful sandwich, come to mama beautiful! SWOON!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — April 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Oh, my stars! Jennie this grilled cheese sandwich is off…the…chain. So incredibly creative! I’m with you…no such thing as too much cheese. I went thru the same thing with hubby when we were first married. Omelets and “kitchen sink” scrambles for breakfast needed “pools of cheese”, as I liked to say. He finally learned how to make breakfast right with that visual cue in his head. ;) Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — April 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm

This sandwich is everything good and holy in the world. Thank you!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — April 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Somebody slap me because I must be dreaming! This is heaven on a freaking plate, Jennie! Gaaaaaaaah! My brain is short circuiting over the amazingness. I love your photos – that ooey gooey creamy flavourful crunchy sammich looks ridiculously delicious. I love that you got up early to bake a fresh loaf of bread for this masterpiece. It deserves nothing less!

Beauty Follower — April 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

Perfect snack to start the day, yummy!

Katie — April 22, 2014 at 8:56 am

Be still, my heart! This could be dessert, but I think I want it for breakfast too! ;) Oh, the gooey goodness!

1. Pingback: Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich | Magnolia Days

2. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

3. Pingback: Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote #SundaySupper - Desserts Required

4. Pingback: French Onion Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - Family Foodie — Family Foodie

5. Pingback: Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

6. Pingback: Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese for @GalloFamily #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom

7. Pingback: Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

8. Pingback: Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with #SundaySupper

9. Pingback: Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese Recipe - Healthy. Delicious.

10. Pingback: Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese — Shockingly Delicious

11. Pingback: Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - Foxes Loves Lemons

12. Pingback: Greek Salad Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper | Ruffles & Truffles

13. Pingback: Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

14. Pingback: French Onion and Fennel Grilled Cheese Sandwich #GrilledCheeseMonth - kimchi MOM ™

15. Pingback: Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Arugula Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen