Banana Maple Granola

Chunky clusters of granola that taste like you’re eating a slice of banana bread.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

Bare with me while I crawl out from under the blankets and into the light.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

I just spent the last 24 hours holed up in our basement snuggled up on the couch under layers of fuzzy blankets with the space heater blasting full force watching episode after episode of Mad Men and The Following.

Have you seen The Following? Squirrel and I started watching the series a week ago, and I can’t detach my eyes from the screen. 1.) The main character is played by Kevin Bacon. Gah, he’s so good looking. 2.) The series is based on a serial killer that is inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe. I know Poe is dark and gruesome, but I’m a huge fan of his work. 3.) There is non-stop action and mystery happening. It really keeps you entertained and wanting more, which is why I keep my finger on the play button.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

I peeled myself off of the couch long enough to make myself a little snack. Brrr, it’s cold!

One of my favorite snacks is granola. It’s easy to whip up and ready in under 30 minutes.

How do you like your granola? Do you prefer chunkier clusters or a fine crumb?

If you like fat hunks of granola, refrain from stirring the granola while it bakes. If you like a finer, more crumbly granola, stir your oats every ten minutes.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

You know I love experimenting with granola flavors. I think I’ve made just about every flavor of granola: Blueberries & Cream, Pina Colada, Maple Pecan, Cookie Butter Cinnamon Chip, Peanut Butter Banana Chip, and Pumpkin & Apple Butter.

I knew I wanted to make a granola recipe that really highlighted bananas. Since I always have a ton of overripe, spotted bananas in my fruit bowl, banana maple granola was created.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

I mashed a banana and added it to a saucepan with brown sugar, coconut oil, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. After a few minutes over low heat, you have a fragrant banana syrup. I would advise you to give it a taste; however, after one lick of the spatula, I wanted to chill the syrup and drink it. Try your best not to consume all of the syrup before mixing it into the oats.

This granola will fool you. After a few minutes in the oven, my house began to smell like banana bread. There’s nothing more comforting than the sweet smell of bananas coming to life in the oven. That’s what this granola smelled like. I knew it was going to taste amazing.

Banana Maple Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com

The smell coming from my oven was spot on, because this granola tastes like you’re munching on a slice of banana bread, only crunchier and with fewer calories. It’s a win-win.

Banana Maple Granola

Chunky clusters of granola that taste like you're eating a slice of banana bread

Yield: 6 cups

2 cups old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup coconut flakes

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups pecans, roughly chopped

1 ripe banana, mashed

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.

In a large bowl mix oats, coconut flakes, salt, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Set aside.

In a small saucepan add mashed banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the coconut oil and brown sugar melt, about 2-3 minutes.

Remove the mixture from the heat and pour over the oat mixture. Gently fold the mixture until the oats are equally coated.

Transfer the granola to the lined baking sheet and spread the mixture evenly on to the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown in color.

If you prefer chunkier clusters of granola, don't stir the mixture while it bakes. If you like your granola on the crumbly side, stir every ten minutes.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest485Share on Facebook18Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

52 Responses to “Banana Maple Granola”

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — March 18, 2014 at 6:16 am

Oh, my stars! Jennie, this is the perfect granola for when I’m hungry for banana bread. Loving your styling and photography here, my friend. :) I’m a big Poe fan as well, so I might check out The Following. Sounds intriguing after watching True Detective. Thanks for sharing and for the rec! xo

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks, Stacy! I’ll have to check out True Detective.

Mary Frances — March 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

Other than chocolate and peanut butter, I can’t think of two things I love more than banana bread and granola! I can’t believe you combined them – pinned and on the to do list!

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — March 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

These photos are some of the best of the best! You rocked making granola look awesome! Love all these flavors too :) I make homemade granola a lot! I can’t wait to try this version out!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:04 am

You are so sweet, Chelsea. Thank you!

Julia — March 18, 2014 at 11:12 am

I still haven’t seen Mad Men OR The Following but I’ve heard great things about both shows. I’m currently enthralled with Private Practice on Netflix, but when I’m done with that, I’ll move on to MM or TF. Your granola looks amaaaaaazing! Banana nut me, sister! It’s been ages since I’ve made a batch and the Banana Maple is just so brilliant! Hope you had an excellent weekend!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:05 am

Thanks, Julia! You will be love MM.

Baker Bettie — March 18, 2014 at 11:57 am

This sounds absolutely fantastic! I love granola and I love banana bread. I would have never thought to mix a mashed banana in with the brown sugar and oil. You are genius!

Also, yes The Following! My husband and I have watched it since it started. How far into it are you? We are all caught up. I really like it. So good. The only show I am liking better than The Following is Hannibal. Do you watch that? If not, you should! So good!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:07 am

Thanks, Bettie! We have one more episode to watch before the end of the first season. I will have to check out Hannibal. It sounds great.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — March 18, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Banana AND low-fat? Definitely a win-win, Jennie. As for tv…I haven’t watched anything for the past three months because we just moved and have been renovating our house. We JUST put our tv up and I’m SO HAPPY! I need to check these shows out. I haven’t watched a show since the end of Breaking Bad and Dexter. There are so many out there, what do I choose?! When this is my biggest problem, I know that life is going pretty good ;) I just need to whip up a batch of your granola and get my butt on the couch!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:08 am

I don’t have time for tv, so we purchased Netflix and can watch it at our leisure. It’s the best invention. I’ve heard good things about Dexter; it’s on our list. I hope your renovations are going well. Thanks, Nancy!

Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel — March 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Oh my goodness… I would never have thought to use a fresh banana in granola, but this sounds AMAZING. Banana bread is the best thing ever, so granola that tastes like banana bread is awesome!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:09 am

Thanks, Jess!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — March 18, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I’ve only made homemade granola once, but it really needs to be a regular occurrence. This flavor sounds perfect!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:10 am

Thanks, Amy! I’m a bit of a granola addict.

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 18, 2014 at 3:42 pm

This sound delicious! I used to make granola regularly. Looks like I need to start up again using this recipe.

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:10 am

I eat granola just about every day. It’s perfect sprinkled on yogurt. Thanks!

Choc Chip Uru — March 18, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This granola looks simply delicious my friend :D
    I love maple and banana together, it is my favourite!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:10 am

Thanks, Uru!

Kate @ Diethood — March 18, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I need to start watching TV. I’m missing out on everything!!

Granola that tastes like banana bread?! UM??? GIMME GIMME!!!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:11 am

I missed out on everything until we purchased Netflix. It really is the best invention. Now I can watch tv at my leisure without all of the commercials. Thanks, Kate!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 18, 2014 at 10:46 pm

The Following! So good! Mike and I binge watched last season. I have yet to get started on the new season because I just don’t know where they are going to go from where they left off. It is like you read my effen mind. I was just thinking today how I need to make granola and I wanted a banana bread ish flavored kind. Love it!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:12 am

Squirrel and I binged watched it two weekends ago. We only have one more episode. The hardest part will be waiting for it to return next season. Thanks!

Nicole~Cooking for Keeps — March 18, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I’ve been looking for the perfect granola recipe, and I think I found it! Yum yum yum. And just beautiful pictures!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Thanks so much, Nicole!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 19, 2014 at 7:31 am

I’m thinking I will make a double batch of the banana syrup and pour it on my face. Once it’s cooled of course.
    This looks delish jennie, and gorgeous pics! Pinned

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Bah! It would probably make a lovely mask. Thanks for pinning!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — March 19, 2014 at 10:51 am

This is the perfect granola recipe! That banana syrup sounds amazing!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Thanks, Jess!

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! — March 19, 2014 at 11:43 am

You had me at banana bread, which is my all-time favorite :). This granola looks absolutely perfect. I am loving the beautiful pictures. too!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks, Kathi!

Elsa — March 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Yay! Banana in granola sounds delicious. I’m seriously going to try this.
    Thanks for sharing :-)

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks for stopping by, Elsa!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm

That is one gorgeous granola, Jennie! I love all the sweet spiced flavors you added – cinnamon, bananas, pecans, coconut! So yummy.

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks, Georgia!

Terra — March 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Oh my word, the granola love this week is outstanding!!! Your recipe looks fabulous:-)

So hubby and I finally started watching The Following. We spent nine hours straight watching season one, then finished the next day. Then got caught up to current episode…..OH MY WORD the show is addictive and freaking ROCKS!!!! AND I have a serious crush on Kevin, have since 1984:-)

Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:16 am

Kevin is good lookin’. Yes, we watched the entire first season in 2 days. I can’t wait for more! Thanks!

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled — March 19, 2014 at 10:44 pm

WOW, this granola looks AMAZING! I make granola all the time, and I can’t wait to try this recipe. :) Oh and your photos are gorgeous, loving the super cute bowls!

• Jennie replied March 20th, 2014 at 8:16 am

Thanks, Jenn! You are so sweet. The bowls are from Anthropologie.

Laura Dembowski — March 20, 2014 at 8:45 am

I love love love The Following! So good, yet so creepy. I also love granola and definitely need to try making it with a banana.

shannon — March 20, 2014 at 10:14 am

you know i love your granola always, Jennie: ALWAYS. and isn’t The Following so good? i am having “technical issues” watching it this season (read: shannon can’t get her act together and figure out how to set the DVR for it correctly, UGH) but i was glued to it last season and totally plan to catch up with it eventually. SO GOOD. Gotta love Kevin Bacon, you know? you just do.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — March 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

I prefer large chunks of granola. What a great way to use a ripe banana!

Christy Spurlock — January 23, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I made this granola today and I will never go back to store bought granola.   So easy and extremely good.  I can see me making this every weekend for the upcoming week.   Delicious.    Love your blog and so glad that I found it.   Keep up the good job.

1. Pingback: Banana Maple Granola | Animeagain.com