Strawberry-Peach Malted Smoothie

A smoothie that tastes like a milkshake, only it’s a smoothie. Thick and creamy, this shake is made with frozen fruit and malted milk powder.

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

Vibrant, fruity smoothies remind me of warmer weather.

You do remember warmer weather, don’t you? Sun. Flip flops. Bright blue sky dotted with puffy clouds.

No? Me either.

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

The only way to summon the long lost memory of warmer days is to make a fruity smoothie, turn on every single light in the house, blast up the heat, and put on my sunglasses. Oh, and a little umbrella for good measure.

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

Life, lately:

1. This Polar Vortex is bringing me down. I can’t go outside without getting a wind burn that makes it look like I’ve just been bitch slapped in the face.
  2. Squirrel isn’t taking the cold weather lightly. The other night he came downstairs rocking a fancy sweater and a pair of basketball shorts over thermal pants. I wish you could have seen him; he looked ridiculous. There’s nothing sexier than a man dressed up in his winter best (wink).
  3. I have a constant craving for sweets. I blame it on the cold weather. Being stuck inside all day, every day is not looking good on me. I should do a push up or two, but I just can’t wrap my brain around exercise when it’s -10 degrees outside.
  4. I’m completely smitten with the television series Mad Men. I know I’m extremely behind and the show aired a hundred years ago, but I’m the least trendy person you’ll ever meet, which is why you never see themed posts on my site. By the time I finally become aware of a trend, it’s no longer in style. I stopped trying.
  5. I had fresh coconut water in Honduras and I don’t see what all the hype is about. It tastes like slime. I realize that there are health benefits that come with consuming coconut water, but there’s no way I’m sacrificing my taste buds in the name of health.
  6. Oranges are good, but chocolate is better. This epiphany leads to the fact that if I try to swap an orange for my regular piece chocolate for a snack, I’m still going to crave chocolate. Why fight it?
  7. It took me longer than I’d like to admit, but I’ve come to the realization that Squirrel will never be interested in helping me cook dinner. His job is to eat my food—that is all.

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

I recently discovered that I can make a healthy smoothie taste like a milkshake, no ice cream needed.

Frozen fruit and malted milk powder are all you need. Using frozen fruit is key to making thick, creamy smoothies. I don’t like to use ice in my smoothies because it dilutes the flavor. So, pop some fruit in the freezer. Here’s a handy tutorial on how to freeze bananas (which is basically the technique for freezing most all fruit).

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

You’re probably wondering why the recipe calls for a banana when clearly the title states that this is a strawberry-peach smoothie. Bananas add a creamy, almost ice cream like texture to smoothies. I tried this recipe without the banana, and it just didn’t taste the same.

Half of a frozen banana is all you’ll need. Why only half? Well, this isn’t a strawberry-peach-banana smoothie. I wanted the banana purely for its texture, and not for its flavor.

Strawberry Peach Malted Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com

In the end, you have a smoothie disguised as a milkshake. Sweet. Fruity. Thick.

Strawberry-Peach Malted Smoothie

Yield: 1 (10 ounce) glass

1/2 frozen banana

5 whole frozen strawberries

1/2 cup frozen peach slices

2 heaping tablespoons Greek yogurt

1/3 cup vanilla almond milk

2 teaspoons honey

1 tablespoon malted milk powder

Place all of the ingredients in a blender; pulse until smooth.

All images and text ©.

28 Responses to “Strawberry-Peach Malted Smoothie”

movita beaucoup — February 25, 2014 at 7:05 am

If I saw a dude wearing Squirrel’s outfit at the grocery store, I’d be all: that man has given up hope. But at home? He’s clearly a genius.

We’re obsessed with frozen fruit smoothies. But we haven’t tried a malted version! I’m on it…

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:36 pm

He’s a genius all right. He figured out how to make the ladies run in the other direction ;)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — February 25, 2014 at 7:36 am

I love recipes where the directions are one step.
    Malted milk powder?! SO GENIUS! I need to try this. Strawberry and peach sounds amazing right now. lovelovelove

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I live for one-step recipe instructions. Thanks!

Tina Muir — February 25, 2014 at 8:20 am

I think you are on the right track….if we start acting like its summer, then maybe the winter will give up and leave us alone. We can dream right?

I am in the same boat with the sweets, I am eating a lot more than I should be as an elite right now, but I cant stop! I am in the tough training part where I really need to focus before the racing starts…..this smoothie may help for at least a little while :)

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:38 pm

This winter is bringing me down and fattening me up. Maybe if everyone makes a springy smoothie, it will come. Thanks, Tina!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — February 25, 2014 at 11:38 am

I love your photos! I’m always looking for great smoothie recipes and this one sounds and looks delicious. :) I love my sweets but I’m craving them more these cold days too!
    PS I think my comments are going to your spam. :(

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Thanks, Tina! This cold weather has me power snacking chocolate. I fixed the spam issue. You’re VIP now :)

[email protected] — February 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This smoothie sounds like something I need! We have more snow coming.. ugh… Pinned!

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Oh, you need it, Anna. It’s a smoothie that tastes like a shake. It’s a shake fake out. Thanks for pinning!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 25, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Mmmmmm, this smoothie might just be what I need to make it through these last few weeks of winter. It’s a survival technique. ;)

• Jennie replied February 25th, 2014 at 6:40 pm

In the name of survival, we must drink smoothies. I like it!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — February 25, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Yumm! This is just what I need. Love the use of malted milk powder.

• Jennie replied March 4th, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thanks, Norma!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — February 26, 2014 at 2:18 am

Jennie, this smoothie has been following me around the internet. Has that ever happened to you?? Where something calls to you, then you see it on Instagram, then on Pinterest, then on Facebook…I’m not complaining, hello, malted milk?? That’s a fabulous idea.

PS I love that you think coconut water tastes like slime. I laughed out loud.

Nicole~Cooking for Keeps — February 26, 2014 at 3:41 am

I’ve gotta try your little trick, I’m a sucker for a strawberry malt, but only have one like every five years because I feel guilty drinking them. Love.

Laura Dembowski — February 26, 2014 at 9:41 am

I literally don’t remember what it’s like to be fun to leave the house. It’s been so cold and snowy and horrible, I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve been leaving the house only once a week with my dad driving and dropping me at the door. Spring has to come one day. Right?

I absolutely love smoothies like this. Adding malted milk powder is genius!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — February 26, 2014 at 11:39 am

Yeah, I’m really struggling to remember what warm weather feels like (as I sit here with a space heater on high)!
    Great idea to add malt powder to make a smoothie more decadent! Must try soon!

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — February 26, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I’m also having a constant craving for sweets lately. I blame it on the weather! I’m more than ready for spring!!
    This smoothie sounds fantastic, I love the addition of the malt powder. :)

mjskit — February 26, 2014 at 11:29 pm

In the warmer weather I sometimes buy bananas just so I can freeze them for smoothies. I think they put the “smooth” in smoothie. :) Malted in a smoothie? LOVE IT!!! As a kid I ate malted powder right out of the can. I’ve got to give this a try. Great smoothie!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 27, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Oooh, I would love this right now! So fresh and summery, full of juicy fruits. Great recipe and photos, Jennie!

Ashley — February 27, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I would have never thought to use malted milk powder in a smoothie! I love it! I’ve come to the realization that my husband will never be interested in cooking either … which I’ll allow. Now the whole I’m not interested in helping cleaning up dinner, well yeah that’s not gonna fly : ) haha

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 28, 2014 at 12:13 am

This looks so b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l and delicious! I love the peach and strawberry flavors together!

[email protected] & Trinkets — February 28, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Ooh, Jennie. This smoothie looks so good. Too bad I am way too cold for anything frozen. Brrrr

I have a solution to your chocolate/orange problem. Chocolate oranges. I know, I’m a genius

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — February 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I am dying over these pictures–I love the bright red strawberries and blue background! Really lovely.
    I’ve made plenty of smoothies but never once thought to add malted milk powder–such a good idea! Definitely going on the grocery list!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — March 2, 2014 at 9:56 am

OMG, yes! I’m craving the sweets big time during this polar vortex and oranges are good, but chocolate is most definitely better! We are kindred spirits, girl. I’m loving the strawberry and peach combination in this smoothie. I must make it asap and wear my hula skirt as I sip! Thanks for sharing, Jennie. Pinned!

• Jennie replied March 4th, 2014 at 11:18 am

I didn’t even think to put on a hula skirt. That would make smoothie sipping that much more epic. Thanks, Stacy!