Sausage and Mushroom Ragu ~ #SundaySupper

Penne pasta slathered with a hearty sausage and mushroom ragu full of bold flavors and fresh ingredients.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

Today’s post is all about wine and entertaining. Gallo Family Vineyards is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its very popular Hearty Burgundy wine, and we’re going to join the celebration. Are you with me? Of course you are. All it took was the mention of wine, and you guys are already lining up, fancy glasses in hand. Lucky for you, Gallo sent me a twofer (two bottles in one), so I have plenty to go around.

The key to entertaining is to make it as stress free as possible. A little planning goes a long way. I’m the meal planner, entertainer, host, and general leader in our family when it comes to entertaining and food preparation. When holidays come around or events pop up, I’m the gal they call. My friends use me as their personal hosting consultant when they’re planning their own gatherings. I get calls and texts regarding food preparation and ingredient selections. I’m honored, but soon I’m going to have to start charging—just kidding, folks.

From past experience, I’ve learned to create a menu and stick to it. That means no last minute changes or that-looks-yummy-let’s-add-that additions. When I first started hosting Thanksgiving, I was so excited that I added just about every dish to the menu. I quickly learned that I’m not the Hulk and executing twenty dishes wasn’t possible.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

Less is more when it comes to planning a menu. One to two appetizers are all you need. For the main course, pick a few, and by a few, I mean four to five items–not ten. One dessert will suffice. We’re looking to trim it down a bit and make it as easy as possible for the host. If you’re responsible for 20+ items, you’ll never get dinner on the table; unless, of course, you have whisking super powers that no one knows about. If that’s the case, carry on.

After you plan your menu, compile your grocery list. A grocery list makes shopping so much easier. Having a list helps cut down on the time you’ll spend in the store, and it decreases your chances of forgetting a pertinent item. The last thing you need to occur while entertaining is having to make more than one trip to the grocery store, so don’t forget your list. If you want to get specific, you can categorize your list into sections: produce, dairy, meat, canned goods, etc.

GFV-family-logo

Once you have your menu planned and shopping complete, the next thing to do is figure out which items on your menu can be prepared ahead of time. Prepping produce, chopping veggies, and preparing dressings or sauces can be prepared in advance and stored until the day of the event. If you’re making dessert, that can be prepared ahead of time. To make it easier on yourself, choose a dessert that can be prepared a day or two ahead of time. I usually choose cake, pie, or mousse for such occasions.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Call in some reinforcements. So what if your husband whines. That can be easily solved by threatening his meal ticket to the dinner table. He’ll be slicing and dicing in no time.

Today I’ll be entertaining with my hearty recipe for sausage & mushroom ragu, a hearty mixture of spicy sausage, earthy baby portobello mushrooms, tomatoes, wine, beef stock, cheese, and fresh herbs slathered over penne pasta.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

Gallo Family Vineyards’ Hearty Burgundy wine is smooth and mildly oaky with a subtle hint of sweetness. It’s the perfect addition to recipes made with red meat, sausage, and pasta. Not only did I pair this wine with the meal, I also deglazed the pot with it when making the sauce. It adds a bold pop of flavor to the ragu.

For a sauce that comes together in under 40 minutes, the flavors in this dish run deep. The hearty tomatoes mingle with the rich Hearty Burgundy to create a robust sauce full of spicy sausage, sweet red peppers, and fresh herbs. Your guests will love this easy meal.

Add a side salad and some crusty bread, and you have yourself a bold meal that comes together in under 40 minutes.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

You can follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Click here to find a store near you that sells Gallo Family Vineyards’ wine.

Sausage & Mushroom Ragu from www.themessybakerblog.com

Sausage and Mushroom Ragu

Yield: Serves 6

1 pound penne pasta, cooked and drained

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided

1 pound spicy bulk sausage

8 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced

1 large onion, minced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup diced red pepper

1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

1/2 cup semi-dry red wine (such as Gallo Hearty Burgundy)

2 tablespoons fresh basil (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dry)

2 tablespoon fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dry)

1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dry)

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.

Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the mushrooms. Sauté until they begin to brown (do not add salt), cooking for about 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and peppers soften, about 5 minutes.

Stir in red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits. Cook until the wine reduces to about half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, cooked sausage, and, if using, dried herbs. Bring the sauce to a gentle bubble, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in fresh herbs and parmesan cheese. Give the sauce a sample and add salt and pepper to taste.

Turn off the heat and gently fold in the cooked pasta. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese.

Inspired by Rachel Ray

SSbadge-150x150Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Check out the other recipes using Gallo Hearty Burgundy:

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest562Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

58 Responses to “Sausage and Mushroom Ragu ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee — February 16, 2014 at 7:47 am

Gorgeous and delicious pasta! I want to reach in and grab a bowl of it right now.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 16, 2014 at 8:12 am

Mmm! I want this for Sunday brunch. :) Thanks for sharing, Jennie!

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — February 16, 2014 at 8:42 am

Lovely pasta dish! And, good thoughts on entertaining, particularly serving just a few really good dishes. This one would definitely be a winner!

Liz — February 16, 2014 at 9:42 am

We were both on the same track this week…now I have to try your yummy version of pasta! It looks fantastic!

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — February 16, 2014 at 9:59 am

Jennie, your sausage and mushroom ragu looks SO delicious!!! I’m with you. . so glad that the hearty burgundy was a two in one. . fabulous! can’t wait to try this recipe. . beautifully photographed!!! love!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — February 16, 2014 at 10:52 am

I want you to make this for me for MY birthday dinner!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 16, 2014 at 11:45 am

Your pasta looks incredible! I love it and now you have me craving pasta! Yummy!!

Cindys Recipes and Writings — February 16, 2014 at 11:49 am

Pasta and sausage with burgundy sounds like supper to me!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — February 16, 2014 at 11:51 am

Red wine in a gorgeous dish – I am IN! Pinned!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — February 16, 2014 at 12:35 pm

You should start teaching classes with your mad hostessing skills! This looks so wonderful. And how FABULOUS are those wine glasses? Love them!

Bea — February 16, 2014 at 1:28 pm

This sounds like the perfect pasta dish. Yum!

Family Foodie — February 16, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Next time you entertain, I hope I get an invitation. This dish looks spectacular!

The Ninja Baker — February 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Great tips on entertaining and grrrreat recipe Jennie!

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — February 16, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Great tips for entertaining. I need to remember these! I always seem to get really excited and go way overboard – ending in way too much stress. Beautiful pasta!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 16, 2014 at 5:30 pm

oooooh girl this looks so hearty and comforting!!

Jen — February 16, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I love the addition of portabella mushrooms! Yum!

Shaina — February 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Menu and party planning is so much fun! I’m sure you throw a killer party with some awesome food. I’d love to be a guest at one of your get togethers :)

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — February 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Oh wow, I love the way this chunky sauce just clings to that pasta! And such lovely photos and food styling. Wow!

Alida — February 16, 2014 at 10:55 pm

That sauce looks AMAZING! Look at those mushrooms – what a delicious addition!

Jen @ Savory Simple — February 16, 2014 at 11:16 pm

This is such a perfect dinner!

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — February 17, 2014 at 9:50 am

DANG! This look so awesome! These kind of pasta dishes are my favorite. Plus, loving those green glasses – so cool!

Soni — February 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

Oooh this looks absolutely delicious!I love the flavors here and with the burgundy I bet it makes for the perfect food for entertaining!

Anne @ Webicurean — February 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm

This looks so good! I’m the party consultant around my friends and family too. You’re right–organization and sticking to a plan/menu is the key!

Julia — February 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

If you ever need to call in for reinforcements, my dear, I’m here for ya! I love this! So comforting and delicious! I can seriously taste all the flavors and the wine? AAAG sign me up!!

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:59 pm

You’re all penciled in, Julia. I will keep you in mind for my next dinner party ;)

Nicole~Cooking for Keeps — February 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Love pastas like these! Simple, yet so complex and flavorful!

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Thanks, Nicole!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — February 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Looks awesome! I am a huge wine lover, well … and pasta, so you better believe I am lined up waiting with my wine glass and my clean bowl for seconds.

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have my serving spoon ready. Come on over!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — February 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I need to take your tips to heart, Jen. I always have these grand plans on the incredible amount of intricate and difficult dishes I want to serve at dinner parties, along with the pinterest-worthy decorations I want to put up but do I ever execute? No way. It’s too much work. And I never ask for help. I’m an idiot! This sausage and mushroom ragu, though? This is definitely something I’d have no problem preparing and devouring. This looks so delicious! Comfort food at its finest.

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I used complicate the crap out of my menu and create huge plans that I could never accomplish. Making things simple is your best bet. Thanks, Nancy!

Susan — February 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

I love your photos and this dish! This is my favorite type of meal to put together!

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Susan!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 19, 2014 at 8:25 am

You had me at mushroom!! This looks like the perfect dinner recipe!

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Thanks, Aimee!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — February 19, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I’ve been craving pasta with red sauce like nobody’s business these days and looking at this makes me want some stat!!! The hardest part for me about planning a menu is what to make when my vegetarian friends come to dinner. I can usually figure out a main dish but then have no idea what to add to it :(

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Thanks, Amy! I can see where planning a vegetarian meal could become complicated. Have you heard of the site Oh My Veggies? You should check it out. Great veggie-based meals. Dishing Up the Dirt has a lot of vegetarian recipes as well.

First of all, those wine glasses are gorgeous! Secondly, can you just send me some of this for dinner tonight?? We love pasta dishes in this house! And last of all, great party hosting tips! ;)

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, Jocelyn. The wine glasses were a gift from my grandmother. I believe she picked them up at a yard sale.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — February 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm

This looks incredible Jennie! I love simple pasta recipes like this! Can’t wait to give it a try! Pinned! :)

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Thanks, Christina. And, thanks for pinning.

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — February 23, 2014 at 2:11 am

I’m the entertainer in my family as well, and I’m always looking for easy dinner recipes to feed a crowd! This looks fantastic!

ashley - baker by nature — February 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Pasta is my <3!!! And with those mushrooms and sausage?! YES.

1. Pingback: Berry Burgundy Sorbet | Magnolia Days

2. Pingback: Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

3. Pingback: Ways to Pair, Cook, and Entertain with Hearty Burgundy for #SundaySupper

4. Pingback: Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew #SundaySupper - Yours and Mine ARE Ours

5. Pingback: Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle for @GalloFamily #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom

6. Pingback: Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

7. Pingback: Fruity Burgundy Sangria — Shockingly Delicious

8. Pingback: Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

9. Pingback: Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

10. Pingback: Classic Coq au Vin #SundaySupper - Foxes Loves Lemons

11. Pingback: Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry #SundaySupper #HBTurns50 | Webicurean

12. Pingback: Sausage & Mushroom Ragu | Animeagain.com

13. Pingback: Oeufs en Meurette – a Gallo Family #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

14. Pingback: Sausage in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms