Cherry Almond Granola Bars

Chewy granola bars loaded with plump cherries, slivered almonds, and white chocolate chips.

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

You guys, I’m on a boat in the middle of the deep blue sea…and I’m scared! Squirrel used his husband super powers (pouty sad face with the protruding bottom lip) to talk me into going on a cruise to the Caribbean, and now I’m stuck on a huge boat. I know it sounds all pretty-little-umbrellas-in-fancy-cocktails fun, but I’m an anxious wreck (no pun intended).

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

What happens if I don’t like it and want to get off? What if a shark gets stuck in the propeller and we plunge to the bottom? Granted, we won’t go down Titanic style in the icy cold water, but there are sharks. I’m prone to smelling like butter and sugar. Do sharks like butter and sugar? I sure hope not. If they do, I’m shark bait.

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

I refuse to wear my black bathing suit in case I fall overboard and the sharks mistake me for a seal. I’m small. It could happen.

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

Just before we got on the big boat of doom, I was informed that our room is on the very bottom of the ship, which means no balcony. “But we have a porthole,” my husband quips. Essentially, I’m sleeping in an aquarium for the next 7 days. All I can think about is how I’m going to get off this ship if something happens in the middle of the night. I suppose I could bust open the porthole and swim out?

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

Then again, maybe I’ll have a heck of a time. I might even disco dance at one of the night clubs.

Cherry Almond Granola Bars from www.themessybakerblog.com

Enough about floating vessels and potential shark attacks. We have granola bars to talk about.

These cherry almond granola bars are gooey, chewy, and perfectly sweet. They’re full of plump cherries, slivered almonds, hearty oats, and sweet white chocolate chips. I used extra vanilla extract to give them a creamy flavor. They’re crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

See you guys in a week! I miss you already.

Cherry Almond Granola Bars

Yield: 1 8-by-8-inch pan

2 cups old-fashioned oats

1/3 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup almond flour

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup slivered almonds

1 1/2 cups dried cherries

1 cup white chocolate chips

4 tablespoons butter, melted

4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom and sides of a 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment, allowing the parchment to overhang on two opposite sides.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, almond flour, salt, almonds, dried cherries, and white chocolate chips.

In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, butter, vanilla extract, and honey. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a rubber spatula.

Firmly press the granola mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Fold the parchment overhang onto the granola and press down firmly. Unfold the parchment before placing in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes, turning the pan halfway through.

Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Lift the sides of the parchment and transfer the granola to a wire rack to cool completely.

When the granola is completely cooled, remove from the parchment and onto a cutting board. Cut into squares. Layer the squares between wax paper in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

All images and text ©.

29 Responses to “Cherry Almond Granola Bars”

shannon — January 21, 2014 at 9:23 am

you’re so on a cruise right now! have such a great time! nothing bad will happen, do not worry: you’re obviously an excellent planner with a good head on your shoulders. i mean, who else would plan to schedule posts to happen while on vacation, right? that’s smarts, girl. you got ’em. now go have fun. these look delicious, by the way.

Laura Dembowski — January 21, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’m sure your cruise will be a blast! But I’d be really nervous too. I’d need these granola bars to calm me down. I made some with cherries and almonds awhile ago. So yummy!

[email protected] — January 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

I felt the same way when we went on our cruise…so weird! Sometimes I get anxious like that on plane rides too. Blah. Maybe if I brought a bag of these with me I would be so consumed with stuffing my face that I wouldn’t even notice my anxiety!

[email protected] & Trinkets — January 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

I happen to know that sharks are turned off by the smell of butter and sugar. In fact, when they smell that, all they want to do is bake cookies and throw tea parties.

These granola bars sound scrumptious. I love the cherry/almond flavor combo. Have fun on your cruise, girlie!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Now I can’t get the image of sharks holding fancy little tea cups and munching on scones out of my head. Hilarious!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 21, 2014 at 11:23 am

I’m totally going on my first cruise in about a week! I did in even think that sharks might like the smell of butter. Uh oh! I’m scared.
    However, not scared enough to not eat these bars of delicious, chewy glory! Totally diggin’ the cherry/almond/white chocolate thang going on here! And I love your little polka dot straw! Adorbs!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Thanks, Taylor. Have fun on your cruise. Let me know how you like it.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

GIRLLL! You’re having so much fun, I know it! Enjoy!!!

Susan — January 21, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I’m dying to know your thoughts on the food on your cruise because the one I was forced on back in August was less than stellar (and I’m being kind here). You’ll be wishing you packed away some of these granola bars any moment now. . .

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Susan, the food was good, but it certainly wasn’t great. It was too bad TSA wouldn’t let me take my granola bars :)

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I hope you have a blast! Enjoy the sun and warmth for me!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Thanks, Jess. I soaked up some sun for you, but it was only minimal. I burn easily.

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — January 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Love homemade granola bars, and these look delish!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Alexe!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — January 21, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Hahah “boat of doom.” Of course, you’ll be fine, and I hope you have a great time! Lovely recipe as well :)

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Lori. It wasn’t horrible, but it also wasn’t my favorite.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — January 22, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hahaha I have never been on a cruise. I never thought about being mistaken for a seal or living in an aquarium! That is too funny. Also slightly frightening. Cherry plus chocolate is a win win in my book!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thanks, Stef! I didn’t see any sharks, but it did feel like I was in an aquarium. Never again!

Mallory @ Total Noms — January 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Jennie! I hope you’re having a fabulous (or at least passable!) time on your cruise :) the granola bars look great. Love the combo of white chocolate and cherries!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks, Mallory. The Boat of Doom was okay. I don’t think I’ll be going back.

Vijay @ NoshOnIt — January 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm

These look great Jennie! Have a great trip!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thanks, Vijay!

movita beaucoup — January 25, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I’d be far more concerned about the grossness of your fellow passengers. {I just threw up in my mouth a little.}

On the plus side, these granola bars look pretty epic… hey! You’ve got something to live for! Swim, dammit! SWIM!!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Movita, they were so gross. It was all Squirrel’s idea. I don’t think I’ll ever get on another Boat of Doom again.

Amy @ Fearless Homemaker — January 28, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Hope you’re having a blast on your cruise, unless you’re home already, in which case I hope you *had* a blast. =) I love cruises! And I also love homemade granola bars – so easy to make, and so delicious!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — January 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

I’m assuming you survived your cruise by now. I have zero desire to go on a cruise, mainly because I get sea sick. The concept sounds pretty cool though :) Haha, I laughed at the shark mistaking you for a seal. I wonder if that really happens?! Anyway, these granola bars look great!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:29 am

Don’t go on a cruise, Amy! From what I hear on Discovery Channel, it can happen if you’re wearing black, like a wet suit. I was just being a bit dramatic :)

Stephanie — March 3, 2014 at 10:50 pm

This recipe looks amazing !! I’m really excited to try it. However, what would be a good wheat flour substitution for the almond flour? I have all the ingredients on hand except for almond flour. I’d rather use the whole wheat or all purpose flour I already have.

thank you !!!

• Jennie replied March 4th, 2014 at 10:52 am

Hi Stephanie. I have never tried using whole wheat or all purpose flour in my granola bars. I would recommend using wheat germ, flax seed meal, or increasing the oats a bit. Good luck!