How To: Make Candied Nuts

Candied nuts are easy to make, perfectly sweet, and great for sprinkling on just about anything.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

Today I’m going to teach you how to make sugar coated nuts. For this tutorial, I’m using pecans, but you can use any nut you like.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

1. Add 1/2 cup of pecans to a sauté pan with 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Over medium heat, allow the sugar to melt.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

2. When the sugar begins to melt, use a wooden spoon to gently stir the nuts to coat with melted sugar.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

3. Watch the pan like a hawk. The process only takes about 5 minutes, so don’t stray too far from the stove. Your nuts can take a turn for the worse in a matter of seconds.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

4. Cook the nuts, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the nuts are toasty.

How To: Make Candied Nuts from www.themessybakerblog.com

5. Transfer the mixture to a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Allow the nuts to cool completely.

6. Store the cooled nuts in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in your pantry. Do not store the candied nuts in the fridge.

14 Responses to “How To: Make Candied Nuts”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 13, 2014 at 8:43 am

Candied nuts are my life, especially on a big ‘ol salad.
    Or, just by the handful instead of eating a “real” meal.
    Not that I have ever done that or anything…
    I can never get mine to turn out as good as the restaurants ones so I am all over this tutorial! Pinned!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:12 am

Mine too, Taylor. I love them on a fresh salad (coming up tomorrow).

shannon — January 13, 2014 at 8:43 am

Great tutorial! and very practical, as well: it’s a good tool to have in your cooking arsenal, since candied nuts can be used to top so many things. Thanks, Jennie!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thanks, Shannon! As I was making them, I found that it would be much easier to explain if I provided a picture tutorial. Tomorrow, I’m topping them on a delicious winter salad.

Kate @ Coffee with Kate — January 13, 2014 at 12:00 pm

This is perfect for me! I’ve got leftover pecans and walnut pieces from a pecan pie dip I made over the holidays …

Pecan Pie Dip (if you’re curious — it’s amazing):

I’ve been contemplating what to do with the leftovers, so this is going to happen!

Thanks so much

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 13, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Love candied nuts! I always eat way to many of them if there is a dish nearby!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 14, 2014 at 1:08 am

I never make candied nuts! These look so addicting!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — January 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I love making candied nuts just like these for salads! Great, easy tutorial!!

Katherine {eggton} — January 14, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I am totally digging these. I too often don’t have candied nuts lying around so I wind up dumping raw nuts onto my spinach salads and thinking to myself, “COME ON, DUDE! LIFE IS SHORT. CANDY SOME FREAKING NUTS THIS WEEKEND!”

[email protected] — January 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Jennie….what a great idea! How simple this is…and to think I’ve been buying candied nuts all these years. Looking forward to trying this soon!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — January 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Oooh…looking forward to the winter salad you mentioned!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

KNOWLEDGE.

Pinnninnng :D

Trevor aka The Burger Nerd — January 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

After reading this recipe, I’m suddenly struck with an overpowering urge to make a big bowl of these and chill down a bucket of beer — even though it’s so cold that I saw a snowman shivering in the corner. :) Great recipe, thanks for sharing it.

[email protected] — January 17, 2014 at 2:12 am

I love me some candied nuts!! I might need to make some very soon :)