Skinny Banana Chip Smoothie

A thick, creamy smoothie made with frozen bananas and mini chocolate chips.

Skinny Banana Chip Smoothie from www.themessybakerblog.com

Somehow, either by some freak accident or by deliberate effort, January has been crowned the month of change. The word change means something different for every person; however, the most popular form of change during the month of January is the transformation of eating habits.

New beginnings usually equates to throwing out old eating habits and starting fresh. Whether that means chewing on lettuce, going on a liquid diet, or eating like a caveman, new habits are put into place while the old habits get thrown in the trash (literally, all the cookies go bye-bye).

The word diet scares the sugary sprinkles out of me. Maybe dieting is for some folks, but it’s certainly not for me. When I enlist the word “diet” into my vocabulary, I get all twitchy. The word diet is like a sweater one size too small and cutting into my pits—it’s just not comfortable. When something isn’t comfortable, it’s bound to be discarded.

The same thing goes for dieting. As soon as I feel restricted, away it goes. For me, choosing what I eat wisely works better. One cookie instead of five. I scoop of ice cream instead of a five-scoop sundae with the works. A small plate of stuffed jalapenos instead of a platter. I think I you get it.

When I’m hungry for a snack or need a quick meal on the go, I lean towards smoothies.

Skinny Banana Chip Smoothie from www.themessybakerblog.com

Remember the recent banana tutorial I posted? Now it’s time to use your banana freezing skills to whir up one of these super thick, slightly sweet, perfectly creamy skinny banana chip smoothies.

The frozen banana creates a smooth velvety base for this smoothie, almost custardy. Add in some vanilla almond milk, slivered almonds, Greek yogurt, and mini chocolate chips, and you have yourself a frozen treat.

Skinny Banana Chip Smoothie from www.themessybakerblog.com

This smoothie is filling, so you can use it as a meal supplement (say, for breakfast), pre/post workout energy booster, or an after-dinner snack.

A healthy and thick smoothie made with ripe frozen bananas, creamy Greek yogurt, mini chocolate chips, and honey.

Yield: 1 serving

1 frozen banana

1 (5.3 ounce) cup Chobani Greek yogurt (banana or vanilla)

2 tablespoons slivered almonds

1 tablespoon honey

1/4-1/3 cup vanilla almond milk

2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

Add banana, yogurt, slivered almonds, honey, and almond milk to the bowl of your blender. Pulse until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, drizzle in a bit more milk and pulse until fully incorporated.

Add the mini chocolate chips and pulse until smooth and the chips turn into flecks.

All images and text ©.

33 Responses to “Skinny Banana Chip Smoothie”

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — January 9, 2014 at 10:34 am

My thoughts exactly: ” The word diet is like a sweater one size too small and cutting into my pits—it’s just not comfortable. When something isn’t comfortable, it’s bound to be discarded.” YES. Diets are not for me either! I love this smoothie – it’s the perfect breakfast!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Thanks, Dorothy!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

You said it, girl! The word is “choose”. It’s empowering vs. restricting. Saying, “I’m not eating that, but choose this” or “I’m only going to have a small portion of what I want” is all-empowering. So much better on the psyche. LOVE this recipe!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:30 am

I totally agree with you, Stacy. Thanks!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — January 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

I totally agree about diets…I will never be able to give up ice cream, and see no reason to..I just don’t eat a whole tub of it haha! I often make a similar smoothie to this but use cocoa powder instead of chocolate chips…I love the idea of the chocolate chips though, I’ll have to toss some in next time!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:30 am

Exactly, Lily. I love the addition of cocoa powder. Thanks for stopping by!

Taylor @ Foos Faith Fitness — January 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Love how you talked about a diet feeling like a one size too small sweater! Totally agree. Eat healthy 80% of the time and live it up the other 20% of the time. The world would be a sad place without cookies. I love this smoothie idea! I actually tried using frozen bananas as a smoothie base, and hate how ice cubes water down so fast! Need to try this!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am

I couldn’t agree more, Taylor. Thanks for stopping by!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Mmmm I LOOVE this smoothie! So creamy and delish. Hooray for bananas!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thanks, Kayle!

Laura Dembowski — January 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Frozen banana smoothies are the best! Love this twist!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thanks, Laura!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — January 9, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Ooh, it looks like a milkshake! I can pretend it is one, right? :D This looks amazing!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:28 am

Pretend away, Kiersten. Your mouth will never know the difference. Thanks!

mjskit — January 9, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Love the addition of the chocolate chips!!! Chocolate and banana is one of my favorite combos! Great smoothie!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:28 am

Thanks, MJ!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 10, 2014 at 6:09 am

Haha. That’s kind of sad that you make the cookies go byebye. I can hear their screams as you toss them in the trash can…

:D

The smoothie looks awesome! Never get enough of banana smoothies. :)

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:17 am

Poor, unloved cookies. I didn’t actually throw any cookies out (I’m weak), but I know a ton of people who clean house on January 1st to avoid temptation. Thanks, Erin!

Beth — January 10, 2014 at 8:40 am

I’m with you – as long as I call it eating sensibly, I’m fine. But as soon as I call it a diet, it’s all over!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:16 am

I agree Beth!

Julia — January 10, 2014 at 9:49 am

I want to blend alllll the bananas and alllll the chocolates! :) This smoothie looks amazing and definitely a wise choice for keeping life healthy yet delicious. I’m not a fan of the word “diet” either…it kinda makes me shudder. bllleeeeeh! Cheers to making wise food decisions and enjoying the things we put in our bodies!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:16 am

As soon as I hear the word diet, Julia, I want to rebel. I need to play a bit of reverse psychology on my brain and fake it out with smoothies such as this one. Thanks!

[email protected] & Trinkets — January 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

Poor unloved cookies. They can find a good home in my tummy.

This smoothie sounds super yummy and decadent. Who even cares that it’s healthy!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:15 am

My thoughts exactly, Kim. I didn’t throw any cookies out, but I know a ton of people that clean house on January 1st.

shannon — January 11, 2014 at 9:19 am

healthy smoothies rock my socks: it’s like they feel desserty to me in the way that not much does. I like that this one includes both almonds and the almond milk along with the chocolate; yum! and i just so happen to have some frozen bananas on hand, thanks to your little reminder about how practical they were the other day. :)

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:14 am

It’s like you’re faking yourself out with a smoothie. It tastes like ice cream, but it’s oh so good for you.

Mallory @ Total Noms — January 12, 2014 at 10:38 am

Love this smoothie, Jennie. I make a version with some rolled oats in it too for extra fiber. I just love how frozen bananas transform into a custardy texture when blended. And you are so right, diets just make life one big (or small) itchy sweater!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:13 am

Thanks, Mallory! I love adding rolled oats to my smoothies–extra fiber, thick smoothie.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 13, 2014 at 4:48 pm

We are practically recipe twins right now :)

Tamara Coleman — January 14, 2014 at 2:04 am

I’ve been smoothie crazed lately! Looks DELISH :)

Amy @ ELephant Eats — January 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I could drink banana smoothies every freaking day…they’re so good. Love that you added yogurt- i enjoy a tart smoothie. This sounds amazing. The only other thing I *might add to your recipe is some peanut butter…you can never go wrong with adding a little pb ;)

1. Pingback: Thursday Things. | hipstercooker