Slice of Life Saturday’s ~ Jennie Who?

You guys, it has been far too long since I’ve posted a SOLS post. Jennie who?

Holidays 2013

Things have been busy in the kitchen over the past few weeks. I’ve been cooking/baking for just about every event, holiday, and family gathering. One night, I stayed up until midnight baking cookies. Eight hours of holiday baking is fun and exhausting all at the same time. The oven grate decided to attack my thumb and singed a deep burn into my skin. Thank you, oven grate! Eh, just another war wound to add to my collection.

IMG_2112

Cookies as far as the eye can see.

If I created extended oven mitts, would you buy them? Mitts that cover your paws and extend up each arm. The phrase “suit up” will have a very different meaning for us bakers. I’ll keep that idea in my back pocket for now.

My site has a bright, shiny new look. Have you noticed? The lovely and talented Lindsay of Purr Design worked her magic and came up with a beautiful design for my home on the Interwebs. I kind of want to hole up and live here. Every time I sign into my site I think, “Is this really my home?” If you’re looking for a designer, Lindsay is your gal. She’s attentive, patient, and so very talented.

I received a ton of great gifts for Christmas, but this one is by far my favorite.

IMG_2127

You guys, it’s a gigantic Ball jar full of chocolate. Does my momma know me, or what! Um, I may have devoured a quarter of the jar all by myself. I’m so very weak.

Did you make any 2014 New Year’s resolutions? I decided not to make any this year. It just results in dissapointment when I fail to meet my goals, so I called it quits.

Here’s how my resolutions usually work. Say I resolve to quit eating cookies. My brain then does this thing where it begins to think of, picture, and dream about cookies. All of a sudden, I’m now craving cookies more than I was before I made the dang resolution. Cookie thoughts pop into my brain 24-7. It’s just not worth it, so I’m just going to keep on keepin’ on with how I do things.

December 28th marked the 2 year anniversary of this here space on the Interwebs.

BlogiversaryI have enjoyed every moment with my peeps (that’s you). Thank you so much for stopping by, leaving some love, trying my recipes, and being so dang nice. You guys are awesome! I look forward to spending another year sweating over an oven, whisking until my arm goes numb, burning my extremities, and testing dozens of recipes. Stay tuned, because 2014 is about to get delicious.

Look what I made:

Classic Sugar Cookies from A Periodic Table: These cookies were a hit with both my family and Squirrel’s family. They’re easy to make, easy to bake, and easy to eat (and eat). The texture of the cookie is so soft that they melt in your mouth as soon as they hit your tongue. I added a bit of almond extract for good measure.

Cherry Coconut Snowball Cookies from Chocolate Moosey: These cookies take a bit of work, but they’re totally worth the effort. The buttery cookie gets stuffed with a sweet maraschino cherry and glazed. It’s pure cookie heaven. The only recommendation that I would make is to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before forming and again before baking to prevent too much spreading.

Double Chocolate Cookies with Pecans and Caramel from Movita Beaucoup: The moment I laid eyes on these cookies I knew I had to make a batch, and I drooled all over my dang keyboard, but that’s not Movita’s fault. We can’t blame her for having wicked good cookie baking skills that causes unintentional drooling, can we? Nah. Guys, these are superb cookies. Talk about chocolate-y, soft, rich, and oh so gooey. I pounded these babies back, and so did my family.

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix from Crunchy Creamy Sweet: My mom and I made this recipe for our foodie Christmas bags this year and fell in love with the recipe. It’s perfectly sweet, uber chocolate-y, and deliciously creamy. We loved it so much that we made ourselves a batch to keep on hand for whenever a hot cocoa craving would strike, which, for me, was every single night.

4 Ingredient Fudge from Sally’s Baking Addiction: A.K.A the best fudge ever. Talk about a simple recipe. Four ingredients, one bowl, and a wooden spoon is all you need for this velvety smooth fudge. I added a handful of mini peanut butter cups and Reese’s Pieces to give it a triple peanut butter affect. My dad ate the remaining fudge that didn’t fit in the foodie gift bags.

Here’s a glimpse of real life:

IMG_2123

Pretty Christmas heels.

IMG_2117

Presents wrapped and neatly placed under the tree for the Watson’s enjoyment.

IMG_2016

Watson taking a break from tormenting the Christmas tree and ripping bows off gifts.

IMG_1968

Festive puppy treats.

IMG_2086

Lots of booze to win over our friends and family. Everyone loved the Caramel Bailey’s Irish Cream.

IMG_2055

I went seasonal candle crazy.

IMG_2094

Granola overload.

IMG_2099

My favorite Christmas ornament of all time. You guys, it’s a minion!

IMG_1920

Comfy slippers is what you’ll find me in at all times during the cold months.

IMG_2072

I found a new tea and fell in love.

IMG_2092

I ordered a new planner from ninj & ninj. Gotta love that cover!

IMG_2121

Cute pups hugging stuffed toys on dreamy puppy beds. I think my heart just skipped a beat.

IMG_2108

So. Many. Sprinkles.

IMG_2102

Christmas 2013 will forever be remembered as the year I was denied a dwarf pig by the name of Hank on Christmas morning.

IMG_2115

It will also be remembered as a white Christmas.

IMG_2096

It too will be the year that I overindulged in too many cherry cordial creme filled kisses.

30 Responses to “Slice of Life Saturday’s ~ Jennie Who?”

sylvia dewy — January 4, 2014 at 7:09 am

Tried your recipes that you listed on new year eve. Every one in my family liked and told once more. I was just stuck with this post and images that u have shared. Amazing eye catching image you have used to make this post attractive. And thanks.

Kate @ Coffee with Kate — January 4, 2014 at 10:26 am

That planner is perfect! Also, denied a dwarf pig? Story please! How cute is he.

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Thank you so much, Kate!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 4, 2014 at 10:30 am

What a great Christmas!!! I love all the pics (esp of how pretty you are, the minion ornament, and fluffy slippers) and it sounds like you did A LOT of baking!

and HAPPY BLOGAVERSARYYYY!!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Thanks, Kayle!

Kristina — January 4, 2014 at 10:56 am

Happy Anniversary!! And happy New Year pretty! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas, and I’m all over those full body oven mitts :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Thanks, kristina. I’m seriously going to invent those mitts.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Happy 2nd Blogiversary, girl! Thanks for sharing all those Christmas snapshots. I melt whenever I see our furry friends curling up with a stuffed animal, too. As I said previously…I really dig your new digs! Can’t wait to see what you cook up in 2014! :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Thanks, Stacy!

movita beaucoup — January 4, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Oh my! Oh my! This was the best SOLS ever! First, I came to your site and I was all: what the what?! Because it was so awesome and pretty and then I was all: when did she update the site? Did I miss the updating? There was a lot happening in my head all at once. AND THEN I FOUND MYELF ON THE PEEPS PAGE AND I IMPLODED.

So to sum: love the new look, love the slices, love you.

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Girl, we go way back. We’re foodie soul sistas, and there’s no breaking that up. Thank you so much!

[email protected] — January 4, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Omg, I love this post!
    1) Happy 2nd Blogovesary!!!! Woohoo!
    2) I am thrilled that you made my hot chocolate mix and loved it so much! Honored that you and your mom decided to keep some too! XOXO
    3) Minion ornament – lol Looove it!!
    4) Warm slippers – I need these in my life!
    5) Hank the pig – I want him! Like now!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Thanks, Anna! I wanted Hank so bad, but someone–I won’t mention who (cough, Squirrel)–wouldn’t let me bring him home. I live in my slippers, and I literally went crazy when my brother gifted me that ornament.

[email protected] — January 5, 2014 at 2:09 am

Oh Jennie…I wish I had a slice of your life. Or at least a few of the many beautiful cookies you’ve been baking! That’s such a pretty picture of you in front of the Christmas tree! I hope you had a wonderful holiday and I wish you a fantastic new year! (Looking forward to more luscious treats!)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:24 pm

You’re so sweet, Anne. Thank you.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — January 5, 2014 at 5:26 am

Jen, happy 2nd blogiversary and happy new year! There’s so much to love about this post – your gorgeous new site (love.love.love), your kick ass haircut, cookies as far as the eye can see (yes), amazing slippers, home made caramel baileys (swoon)…I can go on and on. It sounds like you had a fabulous holiday season, which you totally deserve. Cheers to another amazing year in 2014!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

You are a sweetie, Nancy. Thank you so much!

Susan — January 5, 2014 at 10:02 am

Happy 2nd blog birthday! You had a delicious (and exhausting?) Christmas! My friend would go nuts over the dwarf pig, she’s slightly obsessed with them but they are so cute and oh that picture of Maddox is heart melting.

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much, Susan!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — January 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Happy 2 Year Blogiversary!! It looks like you baked up some serious magic over the holidays. Those snowball cookies look to die for :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much, Erin.

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — January 6, 2014 at 1:01 am

Ha! That planner is hilarious!! Love it. Reminds me of my favorite mother’s day card of all time: http://patterndaily.com/2013/04/16/you-are-one-badass-mother/
    Loving your blog! I’ll be back :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:15 pm

That is one awesome card. Some folks are so clever. Thanks for stopping by, Karen.

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — January 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm

1.) I love these slice of life posts. 2.) Happy Blogoversary! 3.) The new design looks GREAT. I’m also looking to freshen things up this year, so may have to give your designer a call :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Thanks, Lori! Lindsay was amazing.

shannon — January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am

all the pictures! And i teared up a little when i saw you were making my sugar cookies, Jennie: i’m so, so happy you enjoyed them, and i feel really honored to be a part of (in a cookie way) your familys’ holiday this year. thank you, and happy HUGE TWO YEAR ANNIVERSARY! It feels good, yes? It should. Honestly, i hit mine this summer, and i do think that the two year point is one of those critical milestones, because by then you’re either so done with it, or you’re ready to move to the next level. You obviously fall into the latter category, and you’re kicking ass! So big congrats to you, and i wish you all the best this coming year.
    PS i love your hair!!! ugh so cute. ;)

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:49 am

Shannon, we loved those cookies. They were so good. I’ve never had a cookie with such a great texture. I’m not going to lie, two years feels good. I love my home on the Interweb. Thank you so much!

Laura Dembowski — January 11, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Happy blogiversary! I’m coming up on two years too. Time flies! It looks like you had an awesome Christmas. Happy New Year, Jennie!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you so much, Laura! Time sure does fly. I just keep getting older :)

Amy @ ELephant Eats — January 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I have burnt myself on the oven grate more times than i can count. I invested in these and it hasn’t happened nearly as often (now i just burn my arm on the roof of the oven instead, haha. Happy Blogiversary! So excited to have found you recently :)