Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones ~ A Scone Tutorial

Super tender, extremely buttery, slightly sweet scones spiked with eggnog and cinnamon chips.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

I made you scones. Tender, buttery scones with a hint of eggnog and nutmeg. Nom!

Guess what? I’m going to teach you how to make them.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

Scones like their ingredients cold.

Start by cutting a stick of unsalted butter into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the butter cubes on a plate and place the plate  in the freezer for 2-3 minutes to get chilly.

In a measuring cup, whisk together the eggnog, egg, and vanilla extract and place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

My grandmother taught me a trick a few years ago when she was teaching me how to make biscuits. Place your bowl in the freezer for a few minutes to chill before adding the dry ingredients. The cold bowl keeps the butter from getting soft.

Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse crumb.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

The mixture should stick together slightly when you pinch it between your fingers.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

Grab your eggnog mixture out of the fridge and gently stir it into the dry mixture until just combined. Add the cinnamon chips and mix to combine. Mix until the dough just comes together, no longer. Over mixing will yield dense scones.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones from www.themessybakerblog.com

Transfer the dough onto a gently floured surface and shape into a 3/4-inch thick round disk, starting from the center and pressing out to the edges. Feel free to use a rolling pin.

Using a knife or a pastry scrapper, cut the dough round into 8 triangular pieces. Don’t worry about making your triangles perfect. Scones are prettier when they’re rustic.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones

Bake the scones in a 400 degree oven until golden brown.

You can use this scone recipe as a base to add any flavor you like. Replace the eggnog for buttermilk. Like nuts? Add a handful. Dried fruit? Sure, why not. You make this recipe your own by adding your favorite scone fixin’s.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones

Serve warm with a side of creamy butter. I like to cut my scone in half, slather the two halves with butter, place the halves back together until the butter melts a bit, and chow down.

Warm scones are heavenly.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones

These scones are extra special because they’re made with my favorite holiday beverage. I added some freshly grated nutmeg to the dough to boost the flavor of the eggnog and a handful of cinnamon chips for a pop of spicy sweetness.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones

The moist, buttery center is slightly sweet and pillowy with a hint of eggnog and a burst of cinnamon. These are no ordinary scones.

Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones

Yield: 8 scones

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

3/4 cup eggnog

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
In a measuring cup, whisk together the eggnog, egg, and vanilla extract. Place the mixture in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Add the cold butter cubes to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter (or two forks), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently stir in the eggnog mixture until just combined. Gently fold in the cinnamon chips.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface. Gather and press the dough into a ball. Pressing down on the ball, shape into a 3/4-inch thick round disk, starting from the center and pressing out to the edges.
Using a knife or pastry scrapper, cut the dough into 8 triangular pieces. Transfer the dough to your prepared baking sheet, spacing the scones 3-inches apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown in color.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest882Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon1Share on Yummly0

43 Responses to “Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones ~ A Scone Tutorial”

Renee — November 22, 2013 at 8:50 am

Awesome scones Jennie! Plus I’m so glad I have cinnamon chips in the pantry and egg nog in the fridge. I see some baking happening this weekend…

Julia — November 22, 2013 at 9:29 am

These are gorgeous and I bet they taste divine! I’m down for all things eggnog! I want to curl up with a basket of these and be set for the whole day :)

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:40 am

They’re so buttery, Julia. I had to give them away so I wouldn’t eat the entire batch by myself. Thanks!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — November 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

You know I have to try these ASAP! Love these!

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:39 am

I know you love your scones, Jess. Thanks!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — November 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

you are amazing, cannot get over how perfect these scones look!

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Kayle!

Yes — I walked past the eggnog display at the grocery store last night, and had a huge desire to make some eggnog baked goods. I might have to start with these lovely looking scones.

And keeping the mixing bowl in the fridge is a great idea! What a great idea from your grandmother!

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Jamie. I couldn’t wait a minute longer; I had to make something with eggnog. I love the stuff. Let me know how you like them if you make them.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — November 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I love scones! The biscuits amazing cousin. Great tip about chilling the bowl. I never thought to do that.

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Stef! I love me some scones. I think it’s all the delicious butter.

Choc Chip Uru — November 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

You obviously know your scone tricks well, these look exquisite :D

CCU

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thanks, Uru!

Sarah — November 23, 2013 at 12:22 am

Ooh these look so good! Santa may be getting something other than cookies this year haha

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:35 am

I think Santa might like a little change. Thanks, Sarah!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — November 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

yumfest!

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:34 am

Thanks, Dorothy!

Liz @ Life Made Sweet — November 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

Fabulous tutorial! I just recently discovered how fabulous a scone could be and have been on a mission to create the perfect scone! Love your grandma’s tip and will definitely try it on my next endeveour. I get closer each time! Thanks again!

• Jennie replied November 25th, 2013 at 9:33 am

Thanks so much, Liz. I hope your next batch of scones are perfect. Happy baking!

Susan — November 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Warm scones are heavenly, especially with those cinnamon chips and I love all those photos Jennie!

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Thanks, Susan. Those cinnamon chips take the scones over the top.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — November 25, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for this tutorial, Jen. I LOVE scones but have yet to make a perfect batch. I’m loving the eggnog/holiday flavour here and can’t wait to try with all your tips.

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Thanks, Nancy. I wanted to show readers that scones aren’t intimidating at all.

Amy @ Elephant Eats — November 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

So excited for eggnog season! I already went out and bought some. I love just drinking it plain, but infusing baked goods with it sounds mighty tasty. These look great :)

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’m obsessed with eggnog during the holidays. It’s full of delicious fat that I know isn’t great for the hips, but it’s the holidays, right?

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — November 27, 2013 at 3:03 am

Just had my first round of egg nog this week (love it!) but I never thought to put it into scones. Done and done!

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

It’s so good in scones. I didn’t start baking with it until this year. Crazy, right?

Danielle @ TheBestDessertRecipes.com — November 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Yum! These look so wonderful!

Kate | Food Babbles — November 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

These definitely DO NOT sounds like ordinary scones! Extraordinary! I’m not a huge fan of eggnog when it comes to drinking it. I think it’s a textural thing for me ;) BUT I loooove using it in holiday baking so I can practically taste how amazing these unique scones must be with the eggnog and scattering of cinnamon chips. Love!

Terra — December 1, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Great post! So many people are afraid to make scones. Seeing how the process happens will calm them for sure. I love making scones, and love eating them too LOL! Love this flavor combo. I just so happen to have some cinnamon chips….Woo Hoo!!! Delicious, Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thanks, Terra. I thought it would ease readers into the process, show them how easy it is. Happy baking!

mjskit — December 1, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Great tutorial and delicious looking scones! Thanks!

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Thanks, MJ!

shannon — December 5, 2013 at 11:25 am

if there is anything i need this winter, jennie, it is a scone tutorial. i SUCK IT at scone-making. i can ruin any recipe, any time. so i’m really happy you did this, because you’ve given me the motivation to try it again, with your step-by-step help. thank you. :)

• Jennie replied December 5th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I’m so happy you like my tutorial! Scones can be intimidating and tricky. You’ll be a scone expert for sure now.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I make scones almost weekly- it is such a relaxing way to start the day. Love your tutorial!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — December 7, 2013 at 2:53 am

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Love all the great tips for scones in your post! And I love that these have eggnog in them…I am all over that holiday drink right now!

Meghan — December 8, 2013 at 11:10 pm

These look gorgeous, girl! I love eggnog & could easily gobble up a few of these delicious scones! Perfect for holiday brunches!

1. Pingback: 50+ Amazing Ways to Use Eggnog - The Corner Kitchen