Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow ~#HolidayFoodParty

A crunchy mixture of chocolate and peanut butter coated rice cereal squares. A sweet Halloween treat loaded with tons of candy.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow | www.themessybakerblog.com -8777

Chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination ever. Period!

I’m sorry, but there’s no arguing this point. Sweet chocolate paired with creamy peanutty goodness… foodtopia. If you’ve been keeping up with my posts, then you know how much I love chocolate and peanut butter. There’s the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter, the Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake, and, most recently, Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate. My addiction has no bounds.

This month, the Holiday Food Party group is celebrating Halloween. I’m always at a loss when it comes to Halloween. I know the holiday is gaining popularity. People are really getting involved in the festivities, decorating their houses, coming up with family-themed costumes, throwing extravagant parties, and even trick-or-treating out of the trunks of their cars. It’s definitely a beloved holiday.

Me? Well, I’m lazy when it comes to Halloween. I’m more of a Thanksgiving and Christmas kind of gal. The one thing I do like about Halloween is the candy. Sweet, sweet candy! Chocolate for me, please. I used to hate getting smarties and mini boxes of raisins in my pillow case (the plastic pumpkins couldn’t handle the amount of candy we would receive). What kid wants raisins for Halloween? It really is a cruel joke.

I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate Halloween then with a big ol’ bowl of chocolate peanut butter puppy chow loaded with candy.

Puppy chow is a mixture of rice cereal squares that get coated in a gooey mixture and dusted with sweet powder. I coated my rice squares in melted peanut butter and chocolate, then I dusted half the mixture in powdered sugar and the other half in boxed chocolate cake mix. Mix in your favorite candy and you have yourself a crunchy addiction.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow | www.themessybakerblog.com -8773

Fill up a bowl for a crowd-pleasing snack at your Halloween party or package in individual candy cups to hand out to trick-or-treaters. This crunchy treat will make you the neighborhood favorite for years to come.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow | www.themessybakerblog.com -8782

Because you can never have too much chocolate and peanut butter goodness, I added mini Reese’s peanut butter cups and Reese’s Pieces. Oh my goodness!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow ~ #HolidayFoodParty
Recipe Type: Snacks
Author: Jennie
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 14 Cups
Ingredients
  • 10 cups rice cereal squares (such as Chex)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate cake mix
  • 2 cups Reese’s Pieces
  • 1-8 ounce bag Reese’s mini peanut butter cups
  • 1 cup candy corn
Instructions
  1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Place 10 cups of rice cereal into a large bowl.
  3. Grab two 1-gallon freezer or storage bags. Place the powdered sugar in one bag and the chocolate cake mix in the other bag. Set aside.
  4. Add peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the mixture in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until the mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour the creamy peanut butter mixture over the rice cereal squares. Fold the mixture into the squares until evenly coated.
  6. Divide the mixture in half, placing one half in the bag with the powdered sugar and the other half in the bag with the chocolate cake mix. Shake the bags vigorously until the squares are evenly dusted.
  7. Pour the coated rice squares onto the prepared baking sheets, spreading them out into an even layer. Allow the squares to dry for 30 minutes.
  8. Combine the coated rice squares and candy in a large bowl and mix to combine. Serve party style or divide the mixture into individual servings for delicious gifts.

Make sure you check out the other #HolidayFoodParty recipes:

Halloween2013C

1. Butterfinger Bark from Jen’s Favorite Cookies

2. Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cut-Out Cookies from Created by Diane

3. Chocolate Crepes with Pumpkin Butter Filling and Spiced Maple Pecan Syrup from Pineapple and Coconut

4. Vampire Delight Martini from Magnolia Days

5. Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookie Cups from Chocolate Moosey

6. Rice Krispie Candy Corn from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

7. Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow from Messy Baker

8. Homemade Sour Patch Kids from What Smells So Good

9. Reese’s PB&C Pretzel Crust Pie from Hungry Couple NYC

10. Chocolate Pumpkin Layer Cake from Gotta Get Baked

11. Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

12. Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from Crumb Blog

13. Pumpkin Pie Fudge from Juanita’s Cocina

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest6.3kShare on Facebook11Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

55 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Halloween Puppy Chow ~#HolidayFoodParty”

Liz — October 22, 2013 at 7:41 am

Oh, my. This would not be safe in my presence! Best puppy chow ever!!!!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

It is so not a safe treat to have close by. Oh, but it’s so good. Thanks, Liz.

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

Puppy chow!! Oh my gosh, this reminds me SO MUCH of growing up and Halloween’s where my mom would sit with us and make puppy chow. Love it.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Ali!

Terra — October 22, 2013 at 8:31 am

What a fun spin on a classic holiday treat, and it looks pretty fantastic to me! Yum, Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Terra! I love mixing up a classic recipe.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 22, 2013 at 9:35 am

BEST HALLOWEEN TREAT. EVERRRR

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Kayle! I’m a bit biased, but I couldn’t agree more.

Julia — October 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

Lookit all these treats! Ohhh gawl, I want your puppy chow at arms length at all times!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 am

I thought about attaching a feed bag full of this chow right to my face ;)

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — October 22, 2013 at 11:02 am

This looks so addicting and amazing! I love that some of the cereal is dipped in chocolate cake mix. This wouldn’t last a day around here!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 am

My family has been munching on it since Saturday. It really is an addictive snack. Thanks!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 22, 2013 at 11:14 am

I could munch on this all day!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:17 am

Me, too! Thank you.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — October 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Girl, you covered half of the cereal with chocolate cake mix?! Your brilliance knows no bounds! I love it! I keep collecting puppy chow recipes to try and this one is now on the top of the list because chocolate & peanut butter, obviously.

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:14 am

Wise choice, Nancy. There is nothing better than chocolate and pb together. The cake mix dusted pieces are my favorite.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — October 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Heck yea pb and chocolate rule! This puppy chow has pretty much all my favorites. Seriously need to make. :)

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 am

This is so true, Tina. Thanks for stopping by.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — October 22, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to keep my hands out of the bowl! This looks so amazing!

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thanks, Jessica!

Renee — October 22, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I usually don’t care for the cereal snack mixes but you have won me over with chocolate and peanut butter. I’ll take a whole pail please!!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — October 22, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Send chow stat! (it’s a chow emergency)

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:11 am

Chow emergencies must be tended to right away.

Carla — October 22, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Chocolate and peanut butter is a huge weakness of mine! I think you should bag this up and put it in my trick or treat bag ;)

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’ll be sure to have some ready when you arrive at my door :)

Laura Dembowski — October 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m more of a Thanksgiving and Christmas girl too but I do have a few Halloween decorations to put up and I loooove the candy! I bet this is crazy addictive!

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:10 am

I do love me some candy. I have one “Happy Halloween” sign hanging up. I’m so dull.

Betsy @ Desserts Required — October 23, 2013 at 9:29 am

I agree….foodtopia is heavenly!!!

amy @ fearless homemaker — October 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

I love puppy chow and this version looks SOOO good. Perfect for halloween!

Isabelle @ Crumb — October 23, 2013 at 11:52 am

I’m totally with you… Chocolate and PB = BFFs 4evah! :) I love all the bright colours and fun textures in this mix… I have a feeling one of those little buckets would last exactly 2 seconds if it was on my desk right now.

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — October 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I have never had puppy chow. I do love chocolate and PB together but knowing how I am I would just pick out all the candy corn. ha ha

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm

What a fun treat for Halloween, Jennie! It looks so delicious and perfect for sinful snacking!

Susan — October 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm

This might be the best version of puppy chow I’ve ever seen. I love anything peanut butter and chocolate!

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — October 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

after all these years I’ve still never had puppy chow!

Kate | Food Babbles — October 23, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Oh! I love puppy chow so much and this version looks outstanding!

Charmaine// All in a Soiree — October 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

Now I definitely have to try this recipe

Amy @ Homey Oh My! — October 24, 2013 at 11:14 am

Hi Jennie! I think this would be such a popular party treat and love how you put them in those cute buckets :) I included them in my blog post today about my favorite Halloween ideas.
    Have a great weekend!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey — October 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

This is some beautiful and festive puppy chow! I really love the color the candy corn adds to the chow and there are some yummy flavor combinations going on here. I’m saving this recipe!

Monet — October 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I’m in love! Puppy chow, peanut butter and chocolate, and Halloween? All together for a win! This looks delicious and addictive. Thank you for sharing!

Yvonne @ bitter baker — October 25, 2013 at 1:46 am

Can never say no to a big bowl of puppy chow!

Diane {Created by Diane} — October 25, 2013 at 3:07 am

What a fun snack idea, LOVE every bit of it, so much so I’m really wishing I was snacking on it right now!

Rachel @the dessert chronicles — October 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

this looks way too addicting! I NEED to make this very soon!

mjskit — October 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

This is a bucket of crazy deliciousness!!!!!!

• Jennie replied October 29th, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks, MJ!

Anita at Hungry Couple — October 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

Given my serious addiction to all things peanut butter, there’s a 100% chance that I would start to nibble at this bucket of treats and not stop until everything was gone and I had to lie down and loosen my pants. :)

• Jennie replied October 29th, 2013 at 9:00 am

I don’t think I could live without peanut butter. I literally eat it every day. I’m obsessed!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — October 30, 2013 at 10:47 am

I could probably eat my body weight in this Halloween-themed puppy chow. Totally obsessed with this!

1. Pingback: Vampire Delight Martini | Magnolia Days

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats #HolidayFoodParty| The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Fudge ~ Halloween #HolidayFoodParty! | Juanita's Cocina

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookie Cups | Chocolate Moosey

5. Pingback: Chocolate Pumpkin Layer Cake for a Halloween #HolidayFoodParty | gotta get baked

6. Pingback: 21 Simple and Easy Last Minute Halloween Ideas | Homey Oh My!