Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel ~ #SundaySupper

Apple cider and bourbon create a new twist on an old classic.

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel Sauce | www.themessybakerblog.com -8594

I’m back from vacation!

Being back home is sad and lovely all at the same time. Honestly, if we stayed in Charleston any longer, we wouldn’t have wanted to come back. I literally ate just about everything Charleston had to offer. Hands down, my favorite Charleston dish was collard greens. You guys, they were top notch. I ate collards every single day–no lie.

Squirrel and I did a ton of fun stuff. We went on a horse-drawn carriage ride through the city and learned some fun facts from our very knowledgeable tour guide. We ate. Oh, boy did we eat. I mean, we ate everything. If you’re looking for a foodcation, Charleston is the place to go.

We didn’t rent a car; instead, we decided to save the money and hike our way through the town. It’s not a huge town, but when you’re walking it every day, you get some exercise. It worked out great, considering I ate just about everything in sight. The cobblestone streets just about killed me. I must have tripped and almost broke my ankles on several occasions. Do not wear heels in Charleston. I took one pair and they stayed stowed away in my luggage the entire time. Wearing heels in Charleston is like asking for a visit from death. One slip on the cobblestone, and you’re a goner.

I’ll be posting our trip in photos next week, so stay tuned for more on our foodcation.

This week’s #SundaySupper is all about sauces. My favorite sauce is caramel. The sweet, sticky, gooey sauce tastes like burnt sugar and goes great on just about anything sweet.

I decided to jazz things up a bit and make an apple cider bourbon caramel sauce. I know, right. Bourbon!

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel Sauce | www.themessybakerblog.com -8616

In my humble opinion, bourbon makes everything better. It takes an ordinary recipe and adds depth. I love cooking and baking with it, so I always have a bottle in my cabinet.

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel Sauce | www.themessybakerblog.com -8611

The apple cider adds a lovely sweet tang to the caramel. The flavor is unlike any other caramel sauce I’ve ever made. The bourbon adds hints of oak an vanilla. The combination is decadent.

Drizzle it over apples, and you have yourself a sweet treat.

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel Sauce | www.themessybakerblog.com -8595

This has to be the easiest recipe for caramel that I’ve ever made. You’ll begin by reducing the apple cider. Reducing it concentrates the tangy apple flavor. Concentration equals flavor, and we’re all about flavor here on The Messy Baker.

After the cider reduces, you add the butter, brown sugar, and cream. Let it get all happy and bubbly. Allow the mixture to come to a steady bubble and whisk for 2 minutes. Take the mixture off the heat and stir in your bourbon. DO NOT stir in the alcohol while the pot is over the heat. That’s a big no. We don’t want your house catching on fire. Always remove the pot from the heat before adding any alcohol to your recipe. Got it. Great!

I don’t want anyone blaming The Messy Baker for a house fire. So, remove before booze. That’s our new motto.

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel Sauce | www.themessybakerblog.com -8614

You’ll want to eat this caramel every single day of your life from here on out. You’re welcome.

Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel
Recipe Type: Sauce
Author: Jennie
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8 Ounces
Adapted from Southern Living
Ingredients
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 stick butter, salted or unsalted
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon bourbon
Instructions
  1. Cook cider in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cider reduces to 1/4 cup, about 8-10 minutes.
  2. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add butter, sugar, and cream. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. The mixture should boil vigorously for 2 full minutes.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the bourbon. Cool the mixture completely. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
  4. To reheat, microwave for 10-15 seconds.

Don’t forget to visit the other saucy recipes:

Savory Sauces

Pasta Sauces and Pastas with Sauce

Entreés with Sauces

Sweet Sauces

Desserts with Sauces

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest1.3kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

77 Responses to “Apple Cider Bourbon Caramel ~ #SundaySupper”

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 20, 2013 at 9:45 am

Oh so fun!! It sounds like such a great time! And yummmyyyy sauce!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Kayle! Next trip… Eating my way through NYC!

Laura Dembowski — October 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

You had me at caramel, but adding cider and bourbon? You’re my dessert hero! I love baking with bourbon, and I sometimes love to sip a glass after dinner to relax.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:35 am

I love to sip on bourbon and bitters. Thanks, Laura!

Megan @ I Run For Wine — October 20, 2013 at 11:00 am

Wow this sauce – this is all my favorite fall flavors all in one! Amazing!!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:34 am

Mine, too, Megan. I just love me some bourbon.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Oh man! This looks great! I love apple cider sauce and since you added bourbon to it, even better!!!!!!!!!!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Jennifer!

Kristina — October 20, 2013 at 11:15 am

You had me at the title of this post. That caramel sauce sounds unreal. And your trip sounds so fun! I’ve never been, but my parents were there over the summer and had the BEST time, can’t wait to see pics!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Kristina. I highly recommend visiting one day. So much food, so little time.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — October 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I want it all…even the collard greens.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:33 am

The collards were the best, Jen. I ate my fair share of greens, that’s for sure.

Shannon R — October 20, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I just bought some apple cider for another dessert. I’m going to have to make sure I have a cup left now. YUMMMM!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 am

Save that cup, girl :) Thanks.

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — October 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I am seriously in love with this sauce. I think I want to pour it on everything!!

Bobbi ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 am

Pouring it on everything is always recommended. Thanks!

Beth Young — October 20, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Oh dear! I wish you hadn’t posted this! I can now see myself putting on at least half a stone over the next few weeks! Looks delicious though!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks, Beth. Yeah, this sauce can become easily addictive.

DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts — October 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Sounds like your trip to Charleston was fun and what caramel sauce is complete without booze? Thank you for participating this week.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:31 am

Booze=delicious caramel. I totally agree, DB. Thank you so much!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — October 20, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I want to drink it with a straw!!! AMAZING! Pinned!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thanks, Anna!

Liz — October 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I now have a HUGE caramel craving!!! YUM! Sounds like you had a great visit :)

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:30 am

You’re welcome ;) Thanks so much, Liz.

Nicole — October 20, 2013 at 10:11 pm

OMG. This looks and sounds AMAZING! This sauce needs to happen!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thanks, Nicole. Hmm, I’ll trade ya. Sauce for sauce?

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 21, 2013 at 1:09 am

I’m glad you had a great vacation! Can you please send me 3 jars of this?!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks, Stephanie. You’ll wanna make it six.

shannon — October 21, 2013 at 10:01 am

this is fabulous: here’s why. i was going to make some sauces to give away at christmas, and i was thinking “ooh, what about an apple cider caramel sauce” but i hadn’t done any research to find out how to go about it.
    now? NO RESEARCH! here it is, right here. thank you, jennie. and all my gift recipients thank you as well.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’m excited to hear that you’ll be making this for the holidays. I hope your friends and family love it as much as I do. It’s always nice when you can skip right over research.

Family Foodie — October 21, 2013 at 10:50 am

This caramel sauce looks ahh-mazing! Perfect with some apple slices!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Isabel!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — October 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Bourbon does make everything better! I am so glad you did not kill yourself while walking the cobblestones in heels. I cannot wait to see the pics from your foodcation!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:26 am

Me, too. I almost cracked my ankle in half a few times. Yes, bourbon is awesome!

Jaime — October 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Delicious recipe!! Welcome back from holiday!! Reading your post made me smile cause my husband’s name is Charleston and I’ve always teased him about going there :D Sounds like you had an amazing time!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 am

Jaime, I love that your hubby’s name is Charleston. You should totally visit; the food is amazing.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — October 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Pass that spoon this way! Heck just pass the whole jar!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 am

*Passes jar*

Johlene — October 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I´m leaving you some love.. haha..
    Love the idea of this recipe.. caramel sauce with a huge difference.. I need to try it!!
    Got your name from the SugarHero blog and I really like what I see :-)

Xx

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thanks for the love, Johlene! I glad you enjoy my site. This caramel can easily be consumed with just a spoon.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I think you just put all of my favorite words in one amazing recipe. YES!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 am

Woo hoo!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — October 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Lol I definitely would’ve sued you if my sleeve & then my apartment burst into flames ;) It would kinda be worth it to make this amazing caramel sauce though. We are totally on the same boozy caramel-y wavelength which is why we’re friends. I love that you used apple cider. I can’t wait to make this and drink it from the jar (because that’s the best way to consume caramel). Can’t wait to see all your photos from your vacay. 24/7 food sounds like my idea of the perfect holiday!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:22 am

Drinking this straight from the Mason jar would make all my dreams come true. Thanks!

Oh wow — apple cider AND caramel AND bourbon?! That’s just too much fall goodness in one recipe. I’d love to dip some apple slices in this, or just eat it straight from the jar!

I am in complete agreement that Bourbon makes everything better — although my husband would probably be dismayed that I had used his bourbon for something other than drinking, haha!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:21 am

Gotta love bourbon. Eh, he won’t miss a little smidgen of bourbon from the jar. I agree, spoon this into my mouth. Thanks, Jamie.

Tara — October 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Great idea to add the bourbon!! Love it!! Want it!!

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thanks, Tara. If I could, I’d add bourbon to just about everything.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — October 23, 2013 at 11:54 am

This has everything I could ever dream of in one sauce!! Hello gorgeous, I want to pour you over everything!!

Bea — October 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Cider – caramel plus bourbon? It sounds, and looks amazing!

Kate | Food Babbles — October 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm

And jazz it up you did!! Cider caramel would have been amazing alone but that splash is bourbon, spectacular!!

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — October 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Apples and bourbon AND caramel? Sign me up!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — October 26, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I’m addicted to caramel. I virtually drink the stuff.

mjskit — October 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Welcome home!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! So you decided to take an already wonderful sauce and make it even more irresistible! I’ll be making this tomorrow! Thanks for this great creation!

• Jennie replied October 29th, 2013 at 9:02 am

Thanks, MJ! I hope you love the sauce as much as I do. Let me know how it turns out.

1. Pingback: Red Wine Sauce | Molho de Vinho Tinto #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

2. Pingback: Slow Cooker Applesauce #SundaySupper - citronlimette

3. Pingback: Lentil Marinara Pasta Sauce #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

4. Pingback: Saucing it up for #SundaySupper!! |

5. Pingback: Caramel Apple Sheet Cake | Pies and Plots

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Caramel Sauce for Sauce It Up #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands

7. Pingback: Homemade Steak Sauce ~ Sauce It Up #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina

8. Pingback: Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce #SundaySupper

9. Pingback: Angel Hair Pasta with Neapolitan Sauce #SundaySupper

10. Pingback: Vegan Banana Pudding Sauce Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc

11. Pingback: Jack Daniel's Honey Barbecue Baked Chicken Wings | Chocolate Moosey

12. Pingback: Sicillian Marinara Sauce Recipe #SundaySupper - Growing Up Gabel

13. Pingback: Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce (Over Chocolate Rosemary Cake) for a Saucy #SundaySupper | gotta get baked

14. Pingback: Lamb Ragout and Pasta for #SundaySupper

15. Pingback: Philly Strip Steaks with Provolone Sauce and Caramelized Onions #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker

16. Pingback: Ruby Port Cranberry Sauce #SundaySupper | Webicurean

17. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce | Daily Dish Recipes

18. Pingback: Guava BBQ Sauce #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious

19. Pingback: Homemade Teriyaki Sauce for a saucy #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

20. Pingback: Italian-Style Tomato Sauce #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks