Apple Banana Green Smoothie

Start your day with a sweet and creamy apple banana green smoothie.

Apple Banana Green Smoothie  www.themessybakerblog.com -8578

I made you guys a neon green smoothie today. You can thank fresh baby spinach for the beautiful lime green hue of this smoothie.

I’ve seen a ton of green smoothies on the interweb lately, so I decided to give it a go.

Don’t let the green color or the word “spinach” deter you from giving this recipe a try. If it weren’t for the green hue, you wouldn’t even know that this smoothie has spinach in it. All you taste is sweet apple and creamy banana. The spinach is there just to give this smoothie a boost of nutrients. If you have kids, this is a great way to sneak in veggies.

Apple Banana Green Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com -8573

I loaded the blender with sweet gala apple slices, frozen banana, tender baby spinach, vanilla almond milk, protein-packed Greek yogurt and almonds. The apple and banana mask the flavor of the spinach, leaving you with a sweet, creamy smoothie.

Apple Banana Green Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com -8581

Let’s learn a little bit about spinach, shall we?

Spinach is rich in antioxidants, essential vitamins, and minerals. It’s packed with vitamin A, C, E, and K. It’s also rich in iron and calcium and contains a significant amount of lutein. All of these essential vitamins and minerals promote immune and bone health, cell growth, healthy skin, and a boost of energy.

Apple Banana Green Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com -8576

Combine spinach with fresh fruit, and you have yourself a super smoothie. Rich, creamy, and slightly sweet, this smoothie is sure to please.

Apple Banana Green Smoothie | www.themessybakerblog.com -8582

Enjoy!

Apple Banana Green Smoothie
Author: Jennie
Serves: 1 Smoothie
Ingredients
  • 1 small or half of a large apple, peeled and cored
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
  • 1 cup or generous handful of baby spinach
  • 2 tablespoons raw almonds
  • 2 teaspoons honey
Instructions
  1. Place all of the ingredients in your blender. Blend until smooth.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest4.2kShare on Facebook42Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

33 Responses to “Apple Banana Green Smoothie”

Beth Young — October 17, 2013 at 5:36 am

Such a fan of a good smoothie for breakfast in the morning! My boyfriend is a coeliac so he has a smoothie instead of cereal or toast every morning, will have to get him to try this one out!

Julia — October 17, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’ve been meaning to add apple to my smoothies for about 1,000 years and still haven’t done it! Your smoothie looks delicious! Perfectly sweet and creamy and filling, just the way I like ’em! I will most definitely get on board with this, seeing as I have all the ingredients on hand!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — October 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

I need to get on the smoothie bandwagon. They are so easy and this looks so pretty! I love the color.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — October 17, 2013 at 11:51 am

I just told my Hubby we should drink more smoothies. This sounds perfect!

Jennifer — October 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I just made this with kale instead of spinach and without yogurt. . very yummy!

• Jennie replied October 17th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hi, Jennifer! I’m so glad you enjoyed the smoothie. Kale is a great veggie for smoothies. Thanks for visiting!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

PRETTTYYYYY! It looks so fresh!

Pam — October 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

It looks and sounds refreshing and delicious.

shannon — October 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

i actually love spinach in smoothies and juices: it doesn’t have as strong a taste as kale, and it makes everything feel super good for you. i’ve never thought to pair apple and banana together either in any of my smoothie/juice experiments, so this will be fun to try.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — October 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Gorgeous smoothie, girl! LOVE the flavor combo here and I must make some soon. LOVE! Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous autumn weekend! xo P.S. Oh! Thanks for joining my sweets board at Pinterest!

Jenn and Seth — October 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love the color of this smoothie! Definitely have convinced me to try one of these green smoothies, it sounds wonderful!

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks, Jenn and Seth! Let me know how you like it.

Casey — October 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Looks splendid! I love me some spinach in my smoothie.

• Jennie replied October 22nd, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Casey! It sure makes for a purdy smoothie.

mjskit — October 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I love using almond milk in a smoothie, but I’ve never added almonds. Love that idea and love this smoothie. Great time of year to throw in an apple!

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:10 am

Thanks, MJ! I love that the almonds thicken the smoothie and add a boost of protein.

blender dude — October 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

Nice, simple recipe. Looks delicious – and your photography is superb. Congrats!

Maggie @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen — January 20, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I’ve noticed that almond milk does wonders for my tummy. Thanks for the recipe.

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I adore almond milk, Maggie. Thanks for stopping by.

Maggie Unzueta @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen — March 6, 2014 at 11:56 am

I love a good smoothie. It’s the easiest way I know how to sneak in veggies to my son.

Nik — March 14, 2014 at 8:46 am

I tried this today. I had all the ingredients and used my brand new Ninja. It came out amazing! I wanted to make two servings for my husband and I, so I halved everything into the two single serving cups, but added more almond milk and a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder to each. The calories come to about 400 each Ninja glass, and this is so filling. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa — January 12, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Great smoothie ! Made it just as the recipe stated! Pretty color and refreshing ! Thanks !

Matt Townsend — April 6, 2015 at 6:20 am

Delicious!

I even forgot to put in the honey the first time I made it and it was still really good. So imagine my surprise when I actually included ALL of the ingredients.

• Jennie replied April 8th, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hi Matt! Thank you so much for stopping by. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the smoothie. It’s a great recipe, and, even better, it’s healthy! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Happy sipping!

Isabel — January 6, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Just made this smoothie and it is DELICIOUS! The first green smoothie I ever made and it’s so sweet and refreshing (I don’t even think it needs honey because the fruit is naturally so sweet!) This is a perfect transition between creamy fruit smoothies and green ones. Will definitely make again!

Grazia — January 8, 2016 at 9:12 am

This was yummy!!!! My husband who doesn’t usually like spinachy things also loved it.
    Thank you :) :) !!

Grazia

Robin M. — January 10, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I’ll be making this smoothie for my breakfast today! I was getting bored with the the berries and banana and Greek yogurt

Robin M. — January 10, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Trying this smoothie this morning! I have some yummy honey crisp apples

Marcy Lehotz — January 17, 2016 at 8:47 am

Any idea how many carbs are in this smoothie?

Chris — February 15, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I was looking for a new green smoothie with protein to change things up and this was just the ticket! :D So delish, my toddler and husband loved it as well!  I used coconut milk instead of almond milk, left out the honey, and added some ice to give it a nice chill.  Thanks!

1. Pingback: 25 Healthy Spinach Smoothies