Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake

When I’m craving something sweet, I reach for my blender. I love whirring up a thick smoothie or healthy shake to appease my sweet tooth. Remember the dark chocolate peanut butter I made a few weeks ago? Well, I had this genius idea to throw a few scoops into the blender with some frozen bananas and vanilla almond milk. The result is a thick, peanut-buttery, uber chocolatey shake.

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake

Did I mention it’s healthy? You can have your shake and drink it, too. Sold!

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake

I made this shake using frozen bananas, thick Greek yogurt, creamy peanut butter, cocoa powder, and vanilla almond milk. To sweeten it up a bit, I added a touch of honey.

What? Where’s the ice cream, you ask. There is none. This is an ice cream-less shake. No ice cream means less calories, which means more creamy goodness in my belly. Yeah, that’s what I like to hear. You get banana, peanut butter, and chocolate all in one glass, and it’s oh so deliciously good for you.

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake

This shake is extremely thick. Like, suck-until-your-brain-hurts thick. Turn-it-upside-down thick. Can’t-wait-any-longer-so-you-microwave-it thick. Thick! I make skinny shakes so often that I keep my freezer stocked with frozen bananas. To freeze your bananas:

1. Peel and chop your bananas.
  2. Place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
  3. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and allow the bananas to freeze completely, about 2 hours.
  4. Transfer your perfectly frozen banana chunks to a freezer bag and store for future use.

Stock your freezer and prepare for a skinny chocolate peanut butter banana shake addiction.

***Update: Since I received several emails and comments asking how many calories this shake contains, I decided to plug the ingredients into my calorie calculator. One 12-ounce shake is approximately 325 calories.

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake

A thick, frothy shake made with frozen bananas, creamy peanut butter, and chocolate. This healthy recipe is perfect for a snack or breakfast on the go.

Yield: 1 (12 ounce) shake

1 frozen banana (no substitute)
1/2 cup light vanilla or chocolate almond milk
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 teaspoon agave or honey

Place all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. If the shake is too thick, add a little more almond milk.

One 12-ounce shake is approximately 325 calories.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest71.1kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon6Share on Yummly40

106 Responses to “Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake”

CCU — September 26, 2013 at 6:24 am

Drink your shake too? Now that is fantastic :D

CCU

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Thanks, Uru!

• Kaylin replied June 23rd, 2014 at 3:42 am

I have water polo from 5:00-7:30 mon wends and fri in the morning so this looks like the perfect thing to why me out of bed because… Tomorrows Monday, then the rest of the week it’s super late. Thank you so much for sharing thins recipe!

Milk and Honey — September 26, 2013 at 6:55 am

Chocolate, peanut butter, banana… that’s my kinda shake.

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Mine, too! I’ve been making this a few times a week.

Kristina — September 26, 2013 at 10:16 am

Absolute favorite combo, I will never ever say no to chocolate pb :) And LOVE that there’s no ice cream, this is great!

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I’m with you, Kristina. Chocolate and Pb is one of my favorites.

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 26, 2013 at 10:21 am

Yes. Want. Have frozen bananas. :)

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I love that you have frozen bananas ready to go in your freezer.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

Mmmmmmmm I love this smoothie! I could go for one riiiight now! :D

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Thanks, Kayle! Come on over and I’ll make you one.

ashley - baker by nature — September 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Yes! I want to drink this all-day-loooong!

• Jennie replied September 27th, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Love your response, Ashley. Thanks!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — September 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I’m with Ashley (above), I could sip on this all…day…long! Love how you were inspired to create this sip. LOVE!

Mallory @ Total Noms — September 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

OMG… This looks so decadent but if you say it’s skinny I believe you… way to combine some of my favorite flavors! And I LOVE the straws!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm

What a way better hing to do with ripe frozen bananas than make banana bread. Way healthier! I’m sold!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Good for you and indulgent – I want this shake!

Liz — September 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Oh, my, Jennie! Your shake looks it’s made from pure chocolate! How wonderful to find all the healthy ingredients. A guilt-free indulgence :)

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — September 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

Gorgeous photos, Jen! I definitely need more “skinny” in my life. There’s been a bit too much indulgence lately! This looks incredible!

Rachel (teacher-chef) — September 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm

This is a great looking smoothie – very close to one of my go-to daily smoothies, YUM – delicious!

MH — September 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Wow, this shakes looks incredible!! Thank you for sharing! I’ll be trying this one for sure with almond butter and almond milk instead. This looks like the perfect boost for a morning or midday sweet tooth craving. xx

• Jennie replied September 29th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Hi MH! Thanks for visiting. Mmm, almond butter sounds delicious. I’ve used chocolate almond milk in this smoothie, and it tastes just as good.

Small Footprints — September 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm

This sounds lovely. The only part I would use is the yogurt since I’m vegan … and I don’t believe that I’ve ever seen vegan Greek yogurt. Do you think the shake would miss the yogurt? Thanks for sharing!

• Jennie replied September 29th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’ve made this shake with and without the Greek yogurt, and both are delicious. I haven’t seen a vegan yogurt out on the market yet. Thanks for visiting!

• Cath replied February 10th, 2014 at 9:28 pm

You could maybe try to replace the yogourt with some tofu?

• JK replied July 6th, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I’ve seen almond milk yogurts at Whole Foods! (I believe those are vegan!)

Karah — September 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I think a footnote on this recipe needs to be that the inclusion of chocolate soy milk automatically discounts this recipe from being healthy. It may not have ice cream in it, but chocolate soy milk is still loaded with sugar–even a cup has almost twice as much sugar as a person should have in a single day. But it still looks delicious is is a lot less-bad for you than most treats! :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 29, 2013 at 12:27 am

Frozen bananas are so amazing and I am loving that dark chocolatey color!

• Jennie replied September 29th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks, Stephanie!

Kristina — September 29, 2013 at 11:45 am

I do this sorta. I use chocolate almond milk, scoop of protein powder and a frozen banana and of course a spoonful of peanut butter for a protein filled breakfast smoothie on my way to class in the morning or even in her afternoon to stop my school snacking of junk food.

• Jennie replied September 29th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Kristina, that sounds delicious. I’ve also substituted chocolate protein powder for the cocoa powder for a protein shake before my run. Thanks for visiting.

Kim Bee — September 29, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Dude, why didn’t you invite me over for one of these? Or two. Or six.

• Jennie replied October 2nd, 2013 at 9:39 am

Come on over, Kim. I’ll dump all the ingredients in the blender and whir one up for you…or six :)

Erin | The Emerging Foodie — October 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Yummmm. This looks awesome!

• Jennie replied October 2nd, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thank you so much, Erin!

Karly — October 1, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Oh my gosh, my whole family would go nuts for this! Gorgeous photos too!

• Jennie replied October 2nd, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thanks, Karly. We love this smoothie.

shannon @ a periodic table — October 3, 2013 at 8:01 am

chocolate banana shake! why did i not think of that! i’ve been making one with almond butter and dates and banana, and it is WONDERFUL for after working out; kinda like you’re treating yourself to ice cream but you’re not, you know? totally you know. :) i love this alternative.

mjskit — October 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I could drink this for breakfast, midday snack or dessert. Great creation!

• Jennie replied October 9th, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thanks, MJ!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey — October 14, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I love everything about this shake. And I have all the ingredients. Woo hoo!

kaitlin burek — February 3, 2014 at 9:04 pm

the best study break I have ever had. My room-mates and I loved it!

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Kaitlin! I’m so happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the recipe. Happy studying!

Rebecca — February 4, 2014 at 1:57 am

Yum! I just made this with a strawberry, banana, mango, and pineapple fruit mix from Trader Joe’s, some skim milk, and 2 tbsp of cocoa powder instead of 1. SO DELICIOUS! I didn’t even have to add the extra sweetener :) I’m now out of TJ’s frozen fruit so I’m freezing some bananas tonight for tomorrow morning! New go-to breakfast :)

• Jennie replied February 4th, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi Rebecca! Thank you so much for stopping by. That fruit combination sounds delicious. I’m so glad you enjoyed the smoothie.

Sara — February 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Question for the cook — Is there anything you recommend swapping the peanut butter with? Nut allergies and all that.

Tammy Bodie — February 5, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’ve been making this shake too, but instead of real peanut butter I’m using the new PB powder made from real roasted peanuts. Excellent taste and MUCH LESS far and calories! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Renee murphy — February 10, 2014 at 10:41 am

Love your blog .You have some AWSOME looking recipes and I have saved alot of them but there was one in particular that caught my eye and that was the skinny chocolate peanut butter banana shake….I have a question about that shake…..Can it be used like a Slim Fast shake where you substatute two meals with the shake,like one for breakfast and one for lunch and then u eat a good balanced dinner?Or would that be too many calories?I’m trying too loose weight for the summer that’s why im wondering…….Thanks

• Jennie replied February 12th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

You can definitely use this shake as a substitute. I would make sure you use low fat chocolate almond or soy milk. This smoothie is very filling. For a boost of fiber, you could add a handful of oats, and for a boost of protein, a handful of almonds. Enjoy.

Nell — February 11, 2014 at 3:28 am

This looks amazing! I’ve been making something similar in the mornings, but use regular almond milk with cocoa powder, and almond butter instead of peanut butter. I also add some ground flax and chia seeds, along with a bit of chocolate protein powder to amp up the health factor :)

Jen — February 12, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I just made this tonight! SO GOOD, I’m going to tell all my friends. This will be my new sweet fix go to! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Jennie replied February 12th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Hi Jen! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the smoothie. Thanks for sharing!

mari — February 22, 2014 at 1:02 am

this looks delicious but i was curious what the calorie/carb count is for this shake? this looks yummy and healthy but trying to lose weight and need to count this shake :)

• Brittany replied February 25th, 2014 at 9:09 am

Also wondering this!

• Jennie replied April 6th, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Hi Mari! One 12-ounce shake is approximately 325 calories.

Jess — May 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Just tried this because i was craving ice cream…it was great! I found it a little toobanana-y at first so i added a bit more cocoa, almond milk, PB and honey…and it was delicious! Might try half a banana and some frozen strawberries next time. Thanks so much for this, it hit the spot! :-)

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:45 am

Thanks for the tips, Jess!

Deb — June 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

This shake is delicious. This would make a nice dessert I think.

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:45 am

Thank you so much, Deb!

Deb — June 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm

This is a very refreshing anytime of day shake.
    I put some of mine into the freezer and allow it to freeze. An hour before you wish to have it again, bring it out of the freezer and place it into the fridge. It is like ice cream and it is very good.

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:45 am

That is such a great tip! Thanks for stopping by and leaving some love. I’ll have to try the freezer method next time.

Amy — August 27, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I have been looking for something special to make for a friend who just became a new mommy, and I think these are just the ticket! I followed the exact recipe and I think is just perfect. Thanks for sharing!

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:44 am

I’m so happy to hear you love the recipe, Amy! It’s a great meal substitute and comes together in a jif. Congrats to being a new mama.

Chelsea — September 13, 2014 at 10:31 am

Found this on Pinterest and decided to try this morning – this is AMAZING!! I’m considering adding a little bit of oats to it next time for an oatmeal taste, but the chocolate/PB/bananas alone are delicious!

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much, Chelsea! I’m so glad you liked the shake.

Charlotte — October 9, 2014 at 2:08 am

lovely

Papas Cooking Games — October 9, 2014 at 2:09 am

Wonder if this shake tastes as good as it looks :) mmmm can’t wait to make it

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:43 am

It does! Well, at least everyone tells me it does. I think you’ll love it!

Laki — January 7, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Not a fan of Greek yogurt. Would using regular fat-free yogurt be okay?

• Jennie replied January 7th, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Hi Laki! Regular yogurt will work fine in this recipe. Since it’s not as thick as Greek yogurt, you might have to decrease the amount of milk you use to achieve a thick shake. Enjoy!

April — January 10, 2015 at 11:43 am

Yum!! I just made this. I was craving chocolate and scanning pinterest. Lucky me, I had all of the ingredients including the frozen bananas. I used Almond butter instead of peanut butter, but it’s AMAZING! This will be my go to chocolate fix from now on. Thank you!

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:42 am

Hi April, So glad you love the shake! Almond butter is the best. I make my own almost weekly. Cheers!

Kirsten — January 19, 2015 at 3:46 pm

This is phenomenal! I added in some protein powder, and oh my gosh is it ever filling. Normally I have a smoothie and am hungry 20 minutes later, but this is surprisingly filling considering it’s only a few ingredients.

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:41 am

Hi Kirsten! I’m so happy to hear you love the shake and that it keeps you full. Adding protein powder is a great tip!

Becky — February 6, 2015 at 5:53 pm

This shake is absolutely amazing! Thank you for the recipe :-) I have also recently discovered pb2 and so to reduce calories I’m using that. X

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:41 am

Hi Becky! I’m so happy you love the shake. I keep hearing a lot about this pb2. I really need to get on the wagon.

• carolyn b replied March 14th, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I have been using PB2 for sometimes and now i have found the new chocolate PB@ it is so good-and now tat i have found your recipe for this shake i am going to use the chocolate PB2 in it

Debbie Wagner — February 18, 2015 at 11:45 am

i have been making this for the last week for breakfast , and it keeps me going all morning long , yesterday I added a tablespoon of brown sugar oatmeal, so so good , sure beats a green smoothie any day:)

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:40 am

Hi Debbie! I’m so happy to hear that you love the shake and that it keeps you full throughout the morning hours. Thanks for stopping by and leaving some love!

Mario & Michelle — April 24, 2015 at 12:53 am

It look very attractive and appetizing. I’ll follow and do it at this weekend.
    Many thanks.

Nessa — June 23, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I do almost the same shake only I use powdered peanut butter. It cuts out over 100 calories. :)

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:39 am

I have yet to try powdered peanut butter. I need to get on that. Thanks for the tip!

Quinn — July 14, 2015 at 2:38 am

Sounds absolutely delicious (I mean, c’mon, chocolate peanut butter!) but I can’t do yogurt (of any kind that I’ve tried) so what would be a good substitute?

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2015 at 8:39 am

Hi Quinn,

Thank you so much for stopping by! I would substitute 1/2 a frozen banana for the yogurt. You’ll get a thick, creamy shake. Enjoy!

• Kelly K replied September 7th, 2015 at 9:25 am

SO then it would be 1  1/2 frozen bananas and NO yogurt, am I reading that right? Now that makes this a very interesting option for me, I also can’t tolerate yogurt. Thanks!

Barb — August 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Has anyone ever tried it with PB2? It would cut down the calories. I think I’ll give it a try. Looks yummy, BTW! =}

• Jennie replied August 20th, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Barb, I think someone in the comments has given it a go with the PB2 and loved it.

Fedra O. — November 5, 2015 at 12:39 am

OMG! i have an anatomy test tomorrow and this shake just gave me the energy to stay up till 2am. Love from Mexico

Christine, — February 16, 2016 at 11:07 am

Just FYI….this comes out to 14 Weight Watchers smart points.

Mwry — May 7, 2016 at 7:07 am

I made this this morning and it was delicious!  I added some Chia seeds and some cinnamon.

Nikki — May 19, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I wonder how this would taste with the powdered pb 2 instead of full fat pb

1. Pingback: September 2013 Roundup - Total Noms

2. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Shake | Bucket List Recipes

3. Pingback: 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good For You | GossipViews.com

4. Pingback: 実はあなたによい23の試みに関する朝食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

5. Pingback: 実はあなたによい23の試みに関する朝食 | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

6. Pingback: 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good For You - zdouf!

7. Pingback: Jeobox – 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good For You

8. Pingback: Top 5 Smoothies to Keep You Glowing All February | The Style Spy

9. Pingback: Look what the cat dragged in: hug-yourself-edition | miao.

10. Pingback: Healthy, Easy & Quick: Peanut Butter, Chocolate & Banana Shake | Powered by Peanut Butter

11. Pingback: Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake | Link4Food