Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts ~ #SundaySupper

It’s officially sweater weather here in Baltimore, and I couldn’t be more excited. There’s a crisp nip in the air every morning and evening that smells fresh and slightly of pine. The birds are chirping a cheerful song and the sky is a crystal clear blue dotted with big, puffy clouds that look like wisps of cotton. It’s picturesque, really.

I’ve been baking up a storm with my windows open–teasing my poor neighbors, I’m sure. Most of the baked goods I’m pumping out are made with, you guessed it, pumpkin! I know I’ve mentioned it several times, but I’m gonna say it again for good measure–I love pumpkin! Its beautiful orange hue, the warm spices, the smell…I can’t get enough of it during the cooler months. So, I do what any pumpkin-loving foodie would do. I hoard pumpkin.

Hi, I’m Jennie, and I’m a pumpkin hoarder. Whew, glad I got that off of my chest. Now, let’s bake us some pumpkin donuts, shall we?

This week’s #SundaySupper is all about fall recipes. Are you excited? Let me tell you what’s even more exciting…skinny donuts!

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze  www.themessybakerblog.com -8481

Did you just do a double take? The words skinny and donut aren’t usually found in the same sentence, but today is your lucky day because I made skinny pumpkin cinnamon chip donuts with a maple cream cheese glaze.

Boom!

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8485

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8477

Here’s the thing. I’m a donut addict. One just isn’t enough. I take donut consumption to an entirely new level. Like, 3 donuts in one sitting and I’m reaching for more. I blame it on the donut, with its shiny glaze and colorful sprinkles. Can you blame a gal?

How do I fix a donut addiction? No, not by giving up donuts cold turkey. That would just be cruel. I make them skinny, of course. Three skinny donuts is equal to one regular donut–problem solved!

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8479

I made these donuts using a combination of white whole wheat flour, pumpkin, a small amount of brown sugar, coconut oil, homemade pumpkin pie spice, only one egg, and a handful of cinnamon chips.

What? No butter? You won’t even miss it. I traded the butter for healthy coconut oil. Don’t worry, you can’t even tell there’s coconut oil in them. They taste purely of pumpkin.

Oh boy, are these ever so moist. They melt in your mouth.

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8486

I almost forgot to tell you about the best part. Shame on me! These sweet little circles get dunked in a maple cream cheese glaze. I know, right! The glaze is super simple to whip up. I used low-fat cream cheese, maple syrup, and milk. That’s it.

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8475

These are Squirrel approved. He poured himself a big ol’ glass of milk and got to chowing down on a donut. I look over, and he just nods. Donut seal of approval.

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8488

I had this impression that donuts were time consuming… Boy, was I wrong. This recipe only took me 10 minutes to whip up and only 12 minutes to bake.

Can somebody say donut party every weekend?

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze | www.themessybakerblog.com -8483

Enjoy!

Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts

Fluffy baked pumpkin donuts studded with sweet cinnamon chips and topped with a cream cheese glaze.

Yield: 6 donuts

Glaze:

4 ounces low-fat cream cheese

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Donuts:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-cup donut pan with baking spray.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and coconut oil until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in the buttermilk until smooth.
Fold the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just combined. Fold in the cinnamon chips.
Carefully spoon the mixture into your prepared donut pan. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dip the donuts into the glaze. Best eaten the same day.

Glaze:

Add the cream cheese to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, cream until smooth. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and milk; whisk until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more milk.

Check out the other fall-inspired #SundaySupper recipes:

Amazing Breakfasts, Brunches, and Breads

Outstanding Soups, Starters and Sides:

Comforting Main Dishes:

Decadent Desserts:

Tasty Drinks:

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

112 Responses to “Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts ~ #SundaySupper”

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — September 22, 2013 at 7:10 am

I’m Dorothy and I’m a pumpkin lover, too. There, I admitted it.

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:46 am

Welcome, Dorothy. Now, let’s go make some more pumpkin treats.

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — September 22, 2013 at 7:16 am

We are donut addicts over here! Would love some skinny pumpkin donuts this morning. The glaze sounds divine!

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thanks, Marjory. I’m happy to have donut-loving company.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — September 22, 2013 at 8:20 am

Nothing short of fabulous, Jennie! I am a fellow pumpkin lover and addict. And, fall is my very favorite time of year. Thanks for sharing and… Happy Fall! xo

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Stacy! Fall is my fav, too.

Laura Dembowski — September 22, 2013 at 8:43 am

Okay, so I’m kinda hating on fall and want summer to come back, but these look and sound crazy good! Healthy, yummy, and easy to make. Plus cinnamon chips are my fave!

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:48 am

Summer lovers are welcome here, too :) Cinnamon chips are the best chips on the face of the Earth. Thanks, Laura!

Tammi @ Momma's Meals — September 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hey Jennie! I missed your treats! I did do a double take at the word skinny lol! I don’t own a donut pan, I like you thought making them was time consuming, something I surly don’t have these days, but after reading this, I’m giving them a shot, holy goodness!

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks, Tammi! I missed my #SundaySupper group. I ordered my donut pan on Amazon. These are so simple to whip up.

Nichole C — September 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

“Hi, I’m Jennie, and I’m a pumpkin hoarder”, hahaha welcome to the club. :) I love these! Must make, SOON.

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:50 am

Welcome, Nichole. Pumpkin is my food drug. Thanks for visiting.

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — September 22, 2013 at 9:27 am

Cinnamon chips, pumpkin, and take less than 30 minutes? These are a dangerous recipe… at least they’re skinny!

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2013 at 9:50 am

Dangerous, indeed. Guilt free is always welcome in my house because I have no will power.

Constance @FoodieArmyWife — September 22, 2013 at 9:44 am

I absolutely hoard pumpkin too!! I buy it after the holidays when it goes on sale – and I buy a lot of it! I especially love when the cans of organic pumpkin go on sale. That makes me very happy – and I think I need a pumpkin doughnut. Yes, that would make me happy too :)

Courtney @ Neighborfood — September 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

Looks like it’s time for me to get a donut pan! I always thought it was time consuming too, but this has sold it for me!

Susan — September 22, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love this donuts Jennie! I’m getting into my pumpkin loving time too! I’ve got a stash in the fridge now for whenever the mood strikes!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:41 am

My stash is piled high in my pantry. Thanks!

Nicole — September 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

Oh my gawd, I’ll totally trade you for one of those. That’s just… that’s just… sinful. And amazing. And wow…. And they are skinny! Mine… not so much. LOL Now I really want one!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:41 am

Ha, ha. Thanks, Nicole. You have a deal, my friend.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Beautiful, Jennie! These pumpkin donuts are perfect and since the Fall is here – they have to happen soon! Pinning!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Thanks, Anna!

Erin @ Table for 7 — September 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I am all for a donut party :) These are beautiful..so perfect for fall! Pinning too..

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Erin, I’ll make sure you get an invite to my next donut party :)

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — September 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I’ll take a dozen with a vat of coffee please! These look awesome!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:39 am

I like how you roll, Amy.

Shannon R — September 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm

These donuts look just stuffed with awesome! I love any excuse to use my donut pan, thanks for the awesome recipe.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Shannon.

Liz — September 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

These look marvelous, Jennie!!!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Liz.

Vicki @ WITK — September 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

You had me at maple cream cheese frosting, wow. So good! Loving today’s Sunday supper!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Vicki.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — September 22, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I just bought a large amount of pumpkin and plan on making a lot of things. I better get hopping, and this recipe is just amazing! Brilliant Jennie to make them lower in fat!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Paula. The more pumpkin, the better.

Alida — September 22, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Oh my my my. These donuts looks SO good and pretty too. I just got a donut pan too, so I’m excited to try these.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Alida, prepare yourself for a donut addiction. Thanks!

Carla — September 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Love how you made these donuts healthier so we can eat more ;)

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Gotta love eating more. Thanks, Carla.

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — September 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm

These look amazing, and with a couple mods I can even make them!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Sarah.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Oh my gosh your donuts look out of this world! I love the frosting! I would LOVE one of these donuts right now!!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thanks, Jen.

Martin D. Redmond — September 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m not a doughnut fan, but your’s look incredible. It’s so great that you baked instead of deep fried! Thanks for sharing!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thanks Martin.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — September 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Oh my gosh, Jennie, these might make me get a donut pan!!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:36 am

You won’t regret the purchase, Brianne.

Shaina — September 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Mmmm that glaze sounds deliciousssss!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thanks, Shaina.

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 22, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I make lots of baked, skinnier pumpkin doughnuts but I’m totally stealing that glaze idea. Oh, and my name is Anita and I’m a pumpkin hoarder.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:35 am

Steal away, Anita!

I just made some pumpkin mini donuts for our Sunday morning breakfast, and I had the same revelation — I had NO IDEA they were so quick and easy to make. No idea, whatsoever! It’s probably good for my waistline that I didn’t realize this earlier (but they’re baked, and they have pumpkin, so they’re healthy, right?). But in all seriousness, your recipe looks fantastic! Especially with the cream cheese maple glaze!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love that they only took a few minutes to whip up, but now I’m going to be power eating homemade donuts. Thanks, Jamie!

CCU — September 23, 2013 at 3:35 am

Can I eat this donuts and then become part of pumpkins anonymous :P

CCU

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:56 am

Uru, I’m pretty sure that’s possible. Thanks!

Jaime — September 23, 2013 at 6:55 am

Jennie, these look amazing, especially loving the glaze replacing the usual sugary ones!! I haven’t had a doughnut in ages now I’m craving for some.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Jaime!

movita beaucoup — September 23, 2013 at 7:30 am

Prettiest donuts EVER.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:55 am

Aw shucks. Thanks, Movita!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 23, 2013 at 9:31 am

This recipe is bonkers! I am drooling over that maple cream cheese frosting! I also eat three doughnuts in one sitting, no shame. My hips thank you for making these skinny!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:54 am

You are welcome, Stefanie’s hips :) My hips are so thanking me. They were getting wider by the day.

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — September 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Maple cream cheese glaze! Sign me up!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:54 am

You’re on the list, Sarah!

Angie | Big Bears Wife — September 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Love baked donuts! oh and that glaze! They are just beautiful!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:53 am

Thanks, Angie!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — September 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m crying because I don’t own a donut pan and I want one SO.BADLY so that I can make your glorious donuts. Jennie, I’m swooning over these photos. The donuts look ridiculously moist ‘n yummy, especially with that luscious, snowy white cream cheese glaze. Love.these.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:53 am

Girl, we need to get you a donut pan ASAP! I may or may not have liked the glaze bowl clean :)

ashley - baker by nature — September 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Um… these doughnuts make me happy in a major way!!! And that’s that.

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thanks, Ashley! It’s because they’re skinny and full of pumpkin goodness.

Hezzi-D — September 24, 2013 at 6:25 am

WOW! I hate store bought donuts but I love to make my own. These ones are next on my list, especially since we have so much pumpkin!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:52 am

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks!

shannon — September 24, 2013 at 7:29 am

seriously, you ALL are going to just keep using the donut pans until i get one, aren’t you. AREN’T YOU. *sigh* okay. ;)

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2013 at 8:47 am

You better hurry up and purchase one, Shannon :)

amy @ fearless homemaker — September 25, 2013 at 9:16 am

These look SO good and I love that they’re skinny, too. YUM!

Dina — September 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

they look yummy!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 26, 2013 at 1:50 am

Best. donuts. ever. I could seriously have this all year long!

sunithi — September 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Ooh yum ! Especially love the frosting! Great pics too.

Anne @ Webicurean — September 28, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Isn’t it amazing how the air smells so different in the fall? Even here in a big city, on cool crisp days, the air has a different scent (and I don’t mean smog lol) … I need to get myself a donut pan as I *must* make these donuts!

Amanda @ Marocmama — September 29, 2013 at 8:56 am

I’m dying for donuts and that these are actually “good” for you – well I’m sold!

• Jennie replied September 29th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks, Amanda. They’re definitely healthier than a regular donut, for sure.

Jen @ Savory Simple — October 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

I am drooling!

• Jennie replied October 2nd, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Jen! I’ve done my job :)

Savoy — October 7, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Hi there! These donuts look and sound amazing–I really want to try them (I even recently bought a donut pan)! Since I haven’t had a donut in over a year due to new  eating habits, and I couldn’t find the nutrition content for these donuts, I used the myfitnesspal.com recipe calorie counter to do the math for myself. I can’t speak to the accuracy of that calculator, but it put the total calories for this recipe at 2,212.  Divide that by 6 (6 portions) and it came out to 369 calories per donut. I know there can be some variances (i.e. egg size or brand of cinnamon chips), so for reference I used the following: light brown sugar, large size egg, unrefined coconut oil, Hershey’s brand cinnamon chips.

I am not trying to prove you wrong or be rude. It’s just that as stated above, this donut really wouldn’t be any less in caloric content than if I went to a regular donut shop.

Did I miss something? Can you clarify? Because I REALLY want to make (and eat) these!!!

1. Pingback: Funnel Cakes #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker

2. Pingback: Spicy Korean Monkfish Stew (Agu Jjim) #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™

3. Pingback: Bacon Spinach Pasta Recipe | Magnolia Days

4. Pingback: Sunday Supper Stuffed Meatballs — Family Foodie

5. Pingback: Pumpkin Juice Harry Potter Style for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

6. Pingback: Apple Spice Muffins #SundaySupper | Pixie Dust Kitchen

7. Pingback: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Swirl Pecan Crumb Cake – Cupcakes & Kale Chips — Cupcakes & Kale Chips

8. Pingback: Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

9. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts | Daily Dish Recipes

10. Pingback: Hot Apple Pizza for #SundaySupper | Cindy's Recipes and Writings

11. Pingback: Caramel Apple Sugar Cookie Pizza | Chocolate Moosey

12. Pingback: Bacon, Corn and Shrimp Chowder #SundaySupper | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

13. Pingback: The Best Wines For Fall Foods #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

14. Pingback: Homemade Caramel Apples | Pies and Plots

15. Pingback: Penne with Spicy Pumpkin and Sausage Sauce #SundaySupper | Webicurean

16. Pingback: Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc

17. Pingback: Mini Apple Cinnamon Rolls #SundaySupper

18. Pingback: A #SundaySupper Mini Meatball and Goat Cheese Risotto

19. Pingback: Pumpkin Marshmallows (Fall Foods #SundaySupper) - Home Cooking Memories

20. Pingback: Favorite Fall Dishes for #SundaySupper |

21. Pingback: Butternut Squash and Lentil Pot Pie #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

22. Pingback: Weekly Rays of Sunshine #46 | Recipes and Ramblings with the Tumbleweed Contessa

23. Pingback: Chicken, Spinach and Gnocchi Soup #SundaySupper

24. Pingback: Whole and Heavenly Oven - 110 Pumpkin Eats And Treats

25. Pingback: Cinnamon Apple Crepes ~ Fall Foods #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina

26. Pingback: Walnut-Stuffed Baked Apples #SundaySupper

27. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Fall Inspired #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

28. Pingback: Pumpkin Tomato Sauce with Andouille Sausage #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks